ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2013, 10:04 PM   #16
Yardstick OP
Hydrophobic

Oddometer: 2,869
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reidy008 View Post
I wish i could go... will be looking for the ride report on this one. What is the ride time from Wickenberg to the camp site? Maybe a night run to meet you guys...
I'm not sure what the actual ride time would be, but we can usually get from Wickenburg to Havasu in time for lunch even with side trips, broken bikes and attempts at rescues! It's really not that far. I can email you a route that you could follow even in the dark. It's the one that goes south of Alamo lake and into Parker.
Yardstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 10:42 PM   #17
Mil T
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 618
Now this sounds like something I can do with you guys. You guys need a chase truck for that overnighter. It's fast, well equipped and ready to run. How about if I come along for the support? Ifffin you guys don't mind?

I'm equipped with gas, air, tools and ice chest with your choice of what you put in it. I can carry cloths, backpacks etc.

I can even handle clean up on the back end for those pesky bikes that don't belong on rides like this. Not that I would think ANY one would ever think of doing that.

comoon, can I, can I???

Uncle Mil T
Old 04-05-2013, 06:15 AM   #18
BIG-E
AKA; Mongo-E

Oddometer: 1,966
Hi-Ya Uncle Mil-T!

Bar-B-Q??

Its Yardstick's ride but, I am sure that he is ok with you along in the Raptor!! I know I am!

That's a bad-mama-jama for sure!

"If my Technique Improves, so will my riding"!
BIG-E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 07:15 AM   #19
Yardstick OP
Hydrophobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mil T View Post
Now this sounds like something I can do with you guys. You guys need a chase truck for that overnighter. It's fast, well equipped and ready to run. How about if I come along for the support? Ifffin you guys don't mind?

I can even handle clean up on the back end for those pesky bikes that don't belong on rides like this. Not that I would think ANY one would ever think of doing that.

comoon, can I, can I???

Uncle Mil T
That's a little bigger than the Razr that usually follows us! I'm cool with it if everybody else is. I have been wanting to see one of those beasts stretch its legs in the desert! We'll try to avoid the singletrack if we go out or come back in the wash this time.
Old 04-05-2013, 07:18 AM   #20
OldtimerTC
XR650L

Oddometer: 885
Quote:

comoon, can I, can I???

Uncle Mil T
Hey Uncle MilT Thats a sweet looking rig !

I am trying to get me a Big Bike before this ride so I can Join, and if you come I wont have to worry about buying the Big Gas tank before the ride. Be good to see ya .
Member COHVO
OldtimerTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 07:22 AM   #21
BELSTAFF
ADV NOMAD

Oddometer: 1,084
Check it out

I could be mistaken but I believe there was a Raptor that took it's class in the 2012 DAKAR with an 70 or 80 year female navigator.

The truck was pretty much showroom stock,only additions were skid plates navigation equipment,larger wheels & tires,

I really don't think dirt roads to Havasu could be any tougher than 2012 Dakar Especially since Ford advertises it as Baja ready.

Arizona OHV Ambassador
BELSTAFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 08:13 AM   #22
Mil T
Studly Adventurer

Yardstick.
I understand that you may venture onto single track or go somewhere that I might not fit. That's ok. I don't want you to change your route on my account. I'm willing to split off to make a rendezvous somewhere else or I'll go on to Havasu to what ever hotel that is chosen for the ride. There are plenty of routes that I can take. I've been planning to do this run but haven't been able to get the time. This has fallen on a good weekend for me.
My truck is not stock on the suspension. I've replaced almost everything under it. Mostly for dependability and smooth ride. But to be able to go fast also. I'll not bore you with any of it. You'll just see it when I get there.
So, Unless Yardstick changes his mind then I'll plan to go and be your chase vehicle.
I'm happy to be able to get together with you guys again. I've missed our fun together.

Not this trip Big-E but I'll do a barbque after May. Christy and I will be gone to see the Grandkids in Neb. the month of May. I'll have everyone up after that.

Uncle Mil T

Mil T screwed with this post 04-05-2013 at 08:18 AM
Mil T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 08:25 AM   #23
Mil T
Studly Adventurer

Payson to Grand Falls

Here's a little trip we took this past Wednesday for the day. This would be a good big bike ride for you guys. I have a couple more that you might be interested in as well.

Today the wife and I decided to take a ride north of our home in Payson, Az. in the Raptor to see some of our states interesting places. We headed North up the Hwy 87 towards Winslow. We turned off and took a fun forest dirt road into Long Lake. Then out through Chavez Pass.

The Chavez Pass road drops you down onto private and public grazing lands. The road is wide and fast semi sand and dirt. Easy sustained 90mph road but watch out for the cows that can be on the road.
This road goes right by the famous Meteor Crater attraction off the I-40 between Flagstaff and Winslow. We were on the dirt road that takes you up the back way to the south edge of the Meteor Crater through an old lime plant. Our visit to the meteor crater was free today. They used to bag the lime and send it on it’s way to where ever. Here’s some shots as we spent about an hour in that location.

And of course any old west cabins are always haunted you know and we met this one.

We decided that we needed to get moving on to our chosen destination for the day up through the Hopi Indian Reservation where the Little Colorado River runs and the Grand Falls or Chocolate Falls run.

The roads were mostly wide, dusty and fast but there were a few sections of some rocky road bed. I finally found my Go Pro camera but was not prepared to mount it so I didn’t get any driving road pics but we did get some great stills to look at. Here we are at the Grand Falls. Or as I called it the Ompa Lompa river.

Here’s my best half Christy at the falls.

This picture gives a little perspective to their height. The internet says they are actually taller than the Niagra Falls. I would never have guessed that. They are 185 ft tall.

Here’s a panarama shot looking at the falls and downstream on the Little Colorado River.

We left the area headed over to Flagstaff to grab a bite to eat and fill up gas for the ride home. Thought it would be a 45 minute drive. Well I got on some great ranch roads and just started having fun. Ran up into the Cinder Cone forest and OHV play area.
One of the main reasons I wanted to go out with the truck was to test the suspension, which I finally have completed. Basically it’s an RPG stage 4 with RPG’s tuned Fox 3.0’s. At first try out of the box, I received the standard rear National Springs by mistake but was not aware of it. I ran them and it was just to soft for my driving style so RPG was very accommodating and sent me the HD’s. That was the ticket. With a few twists on the rebound screws on the shocks, I think I have a very good set up and a truck that just works really well. I confident it will be able to tackle any rough terrain that a Ford Raptor was built for with ease. I know it’s not a trophy truck and what we did today with the truck is exactly what I built it for. To tour and have fun on unpredictable roads without the truck hitting the pavement with rattles and suspension that has been trashed and feels it. It worked flawlessly. I could not believe how this suspension just soaked up running through the quad and motorcycle woops that are in the cinder cone OHV area. If you want to find out what a real test for suspension in these trucks is, run your 61 year old wife of 42 years down a road for a couple miles at 70 mph with 1 to 2 foot woops and listen to her say,
“Wow, that seemed really smooth. How fast were you going” all while she is knitting in the passenger seat. Now that’s a true test cause I usually have a sore shoulder on the right side if I had done that with any thing else I have driven that she has been a passenger in.
Hey RPG. Thanks for all the help on a superb Raptor suspension set up.
Now to start some of the other items I need to do, like an OHH SHIT grab bar for the passenger to grab when you know it’s not going to be pretty when you didn’t read the terrain just right.
Mil T
Old 04-05-2013, 09:47 AM   #24
Yardstick OP
Hydrophobic

Quote:
Yardstick.
I understand that you may venture onto single track or go somewhere that I might not fit. That's ok. I don't want you to change your route on my account. I'm willing to split off to make a rendezvous somewhere else or I'll go on to Havasu to what ever hotel that is chosen for the ride. There are plenty of routes that I can take. I've been planning to do this run but haven't been able to get the time. This has fallen on a good weekend for me.
My truck is not stock on the suspension. I've replaced almost everything under it. Mostly for dependability and smooth ride. But to be able to go fast also. I'll not bore you with any of it. You'll just see it when I get there.
So, Unless Yardstick changes his mind then I'll plan to go and be your chase vehicle.
I'm happy to be able to get together with you guys again. I've missed our fun together.

Not this trip Big-E but I'll do a barbque after May. Christy and I will be gone to see the Grandkids in Neb. the month of May. I'll have everyone up after that.

Uncle Mil T
The biggest problem I see is that you're going to make me want to do this to my truck:

I'm sure you will be fine. My only hesitation was going to be if someone else whined heavily. It'll be good to see you out there again!
Old 04-05-2013, 09:48 AM   #25
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,509
Will you be taking Osborne wash across, up towards Parker Dam?
AZ TOM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 12:27 PM   #26
scottcolbath
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,607
I'm going to try to be in for a day's worth of this ride.

S.C.
scottcolbath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 12:59 PM   #27
BIG-E
AKA; Mongo-E

Oddometer: 1,966
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottcolbath View Post
I'm going to try to be in for a day's worth of this ride.

S.C.
Yea, yea... I will believe it when I see you at breakfast on Saturday.

Allthough, the 'Busa would be able to keep up on the long straightaways, maybe!!

Don't forget my Bacon! I might need it on this one...

"If my Technique Improves, so will my riding"!
BIG-E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 02:22 PM   #28
scottcolbath
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,607
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG-E View Post
Yea, yea... I will believe it when I see you at breakfast on Saturday.
Watch it there, skippy. I just put a new battery in the 640. It's itching to go.

BTW, don't ever buy an Extreme brand battery from Batteries Plus. They are shit.

Quote:
Allthough, the 'Busa would be able to keep up on the long straightaways, maybe!!
Imagine the air I could catch off the jumps on Alamo Rd.

Quote:
Don't forget my Bacon! I might need it on this one...
Digging through the pantry now.

S.C.
scottcolbath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 05:50 PM   #29
Michhub
Major Medical

Oddometer: 3,651
Damn! This sounds like a fun run....just moved to PHX from VA 4 days ago...looking to mix it up with the local asylum...was tossing my 990 on the ground just a few weeks ago so I should be ok, nothing broke but willing to keep trying

You guys mind a noob joining in?

The starting point is 95 miles from me....might have to work on that a bit 'cause I'm not a 5am person
Bonsai Elephant - "
Life without a 990 is no life at all!"
Michhub is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 06:38 PM   #30
Mil T
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yardstick View Post
The biggest problem I see is that you're going to make me want to do this to my truck:

I'm sure you will be fine. My only hesitation was going to be if someone else whined heavily. It'll be good to see you out there again!
There's a lot of really nicely done trucks now a days. Pretty much because of the Raptor coming out and showing that off road trucks can be luxury also. I almost went this route also with having a fabbed up Prerunner but it's just not the same as being able to just buy one and do bolt ons that gets you in the same relative position as this $100K minimum truck. I didn't want to wait that long. My new suspension was $7500 give or take and it's all bolt on and proven solid. Just like a dirt bike where you can only go so fast no matter the drivetrain if the suspension is not capable of getting you over the terrain. Thanks Yardstick for taking the leap with me.
Let me know if there is any thing that you would like me to be carrying besides what I have already mentioned.