ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2013, 04:37 AM   #23911
XC Rider
Motorcycle Vagabond

Oddometer: 2,823
Alright, a few responses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomc407 View Post
I don't want to talk about the "lost footage". I had the gopro set on camera instead of video, so I only got pictures of when I thought I started and stopped the "video". A major blunder - sorry!
What!?!?!? So you mean to tell me that we won't get to see that footage of ScottyP doing a stoppie on the KLR right next to that sheriff's deputy at the stop light in Franklin!?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawikazi View Post
Did the Doohickey mod today with a little oversight and technical assistance from George. Procedure went text book perfect with no issues. My bike has 8000 miles on it. Manual calls for tension lever adjustment at 7500 miles by removing little rubber stopper on outside cover, easing lever lock down bolt 1/4 turn and tightening back up. Of course, you can't see what is going on inside with this simple adjustment, but in theory the spring tension takes up any acquired slack in the chain. So, after pulling outside and inside casings you can watch the lever when you loosen the lock down bolt. My spring still had some tension and the lever moved 1/8 inch, but after that the spring was pretty much collapsed. No more tension for any future adjustment. Hence, I would say the modification was timely and necessary despite dealership insistence that they have never seen an issue and don't know what all the hype is about. Torsion spring is the way to go.

Good deal Warren; maybe you can help me check to see if my KLR's had the doo done some time later this spring! (previous owner couldn't tell me if it had been done or not, and I've been meaning to check).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONandOFF View Post
Interesting, Denis! Somewhere out there is the perfect bike for each of us; light, predictible, fast and furious. Or some reasonable compromise. It will be interesting to see what you think of the 250. For me, a 250 doesn't have enough grunt to satisfy my need for g's. But that's my crazy person inside. Did you know Honda was coming out with a CRF250L? Should be out in August.

I would love to come riding with you but LF is going to conflict with my son's defense of his dissertation. I hope the weather smiles on you, as unpredictible as it tends to be this time of year, especially lately. To wit, snow is falling here now. But definitely hope to catch up soon. When you gonna be riding down this way after LF? I'd stop by and see you if you still lived at home, on the way to or from my mom's, but you up and moved to MD.

Yeah, that's the one thing that is holding me back on the 250s (power); but I've heard good things about the bikes that have been coming out lately (all across the brands). I may also look into the Husky 310; ohhhh Christian!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LXDDLE View Post
Just thought I'd butt in here....I did the KTM 525 thing a few years ago and came to the conclusion that it was just a little too much bike for dual sportin' and trail riddin' central Va., not to mention the issue of maintenance intervals.

I sold it and got a WR250R a couple of years ago and have really enjoyed it. Sure, it's a little buzzy slabbin' across the Valley to the mountains west of Staunton but so what!? It's light, reliable, easy to keep serviced, dealers are everywhere and it's just plain easy to ride. Engine performance is by no means KTM-breathtaking but I get to concentrate on the ride and not dealing with a handful of bike. The Honda is a sweet bike but a notch down in performance from the WR, not to mention being characteristically (for Honda) a little overweight.

The WR is a great trail bike / dual sporter. It's not an enduro racer or an adventure tourer. It's been a good decision for me.

Thanks for the info. You've got a PM.

Alright, all caught up on the Cat Herders' thread; have a good day everyone!
SpotWalla: WHERE IS XC RIDER!?
XC Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 06:06 AM   #23912
Kawikazi
Loose Cannon

Oddometer: 356
Doohickey Upgrade

Denis or anyone else for that matter; I would be happy to help with the doohickey now that I have actually done one. George even taught me how to calibrate my wrist to 69 inch/lbs using a socket and very short ratchet handle, but I am still in favor of using the torque wrench. George went around the casing bolts by hand and I rechecked with the torque wrench and only found one out of ten slightly off the mark. Impressive to be that good by feel alone. Anyway, I have a small heated shop with a proper lift which makes life nice. Would like to use Eagle Mikes special tools more than once so I feel I got my money's worth out of buying the Deluxe all inclusive kit.
Now I am taking my old OEM doohickey down to Rockies Gold and Silver to get it gold plated. My anniversery is July 6th just before I leave home for 3 weeks of riding, so I thought I would make my wife a nice neckless.
I thought it would make for good cocktail party conversion for her. WTF is that thing around your neck? Oh, that's my husbands doohickey Is that really your IUD? No, I think it just keeps his drive mechanism from getting too sloppy when he starts reving his engine. OK too much information.
Kawikazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 06:45 AM   #23913
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,587
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomc407 View Post
I have heard of the app....but I don't have the right phone.
Also I have an early version of the gopro - not sure if it can do the wireless thingy.
..something else I want to update....
Duh, I should not have assumed it was a new camera.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyDraco View Post
This new toilet has a good strong flusher ..
It would make Al Bundy very happy ...
There was a water saver toilet in this house when I moved in. The only difference between this one and a normal toilet was a plastic pail inserted around the drain in the tank. The whole tank fills but only the water in the pail flushes the toilet. Its flushes were pathetic...until I cut the pail out of there.
I'm sure(I hope) they've improved since then.

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 07:20 AM   #23914
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,294
double-checking after a test ride

One thing about cover bolts, they can drop out of torque specs as the gasket compresses with time. I have found it good practice to retorque after a hot-cold cycle or two, when possible. Every now and then one will become just a tad loose. If the bolts will be inaccessable later, I'll make three torquing cycles around before deeming that ring of bolts torqued, letting as much time pass as practical before the final torquing cycle. When time allows, I'll let the subassembly (such as the case halves) sit overnight or longer then retorque just prior to the next stage which renders that ring inaccessible.
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 07:26 AM   #23915
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Quote:
... WTF is that thing around your neck? Oh, that's my husbands doohickey ...

Good luck with that one!
At least you aren't suggesting making an engraved ankle bracelet with it.
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
Old 04-05-2013, 07:27 AM   #23916
DCrider
Live from THE Hill

Oddometer: 3,968
Quote:
so I thought I would make my wife a nice neckless.
I thought it would make for good cocktail party conversion for her. WTF is that thing around your neck? Oh, that's my husbands doohickey Is that really your IUD? No, I think it just keeps his drive mechanism from getting too sloppy when he starts reving his engine. OK too much information.
W- torsion or not, I think your spring has sprung again
Old 04-05-2013, 07:30 AM   #23917
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCrider View Post
W- torsion or not, I think your spring has sprung again
E - At our age, that's a compliment!
Old 04-05-2013, 07:38 AM   #23918
DCrider
Live from THE Hill

G- you gonna be able to get away for LF in 2 weeks?
Old 04-05-2013, 09:11 AM   #23919
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcrider View Post
g- you gonna be able to get away for lf in 2 weeks?
e -
Quote:
Originally Posted by onandoff View Post
... I would love to come riding with you then but lf is going to conflict with my son's defense of his dissertation. I hope the weather smiles on you, as unpredictible as it tends to be this time of year, especially lately. To wit, snow is falling here now. But definitely hope to catch up soon. When you gonna be riding down this way after lf? ....
(since when did the post editor start randomly removing crapital letters?)

ONandOFF screwed with this post 04-05-2013 at 09:44 AM
Old 04-05-2013, 09:52 AM   #23920
ORexpat
Oregon Expatriate

Oddometer: 2,636
Just posted the last photos from my Crooked River campout. http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...4#post21115834

It's not Laurel Fork, but it's damn good camping and riding!

ORexpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 10:20 AM   #23921
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORexpat View Post
Just posted the last photos from my Crooked River campout. http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...4#post21115834

It's not Laurel Fork, but it's damn good camping and riding!
Damn fine. Looks like you even have better weather there.

What bike is this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORexpat View Post
Old 04-05-2013, 10:21 AM   #23922
HBN OP
is car free

Oddometer: 11,925
Looks like a KTM 990 or 950
HBurgNinja - The Thread | HBN Boondocking the Nation | Beards to Canada
HBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 10:25 AM   #23923
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,587
Quote:
Originally Posted by HBN View Post
Looks like a KTM 990 or 950
My money is on 950. I don't believe the 990's ever came out in that color.

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 10:26 AM   #23924
HBN OP
is car free

Oddometer: 11,925
Just don't ask about maintenance
HBurgNinja - The Thread | HBN Boondocking the Nation | Beards to Canada
HBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 11:25 AM   #23925
DCrider
Live from THE Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONandOFF View Post
e -(since when did the post editor start randomly removing crapital letters?)
maybe since the sequester hit the crapital of the US

Good luck/congrats on your son's thesis defense. I remember mine, the anticipation of what might happen was 10x worse than reality, great relief when it was over.