Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2013, 11:32 AM   #16
stevodadevo
What happened?

Oddometer: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABuck99 View Post
Eldon- I didnt get from your post if you were talking about front or rear or both Tractionator HT.

The front Motoz HT is bulletproof, its a great durable tire, but on pavement, it tends to create a little head shake until its well worn in. Some people love em, but takes a little getting used to.

As for the rear, unless you are running a 2.5" rear wheel off the SE or 690, - I would not recommend running a 140 Motoz, or any 140 width tire on your LC8. The 950/99 ADV rear rim is 4" to 4.25" wide depending on the year. A 140 width tire is not designed to go on a wheel over 2.5 to 3." wide. Sure it will fit, but the profile will be flattened out, side wall compromised, and will handle like crap. Check the load index as well.

The tractionator HT is an awesome tire, Ive used them for a few years on my 450 & 690 with stellar durability and mileage. It would be great if Motoz made a 150 profile for the bigger bikes.
I've run many 140 / 80 tires on my 990 and never had an issue. The difference between a 140/80 and 150/70 are so small that it won't make a difference with a tire like the Tractionator (with it's huge knobbies).

By the way, I just ordered a few sets of Tractionators for my Cabo trip from https://www.dualsportarmory.com/index.php after calling to verify stock. I spoke to Allen and he took the time to track down the tires in another state. So awesome to deal with someone like that. They even offer an advrider discount! Give him your business!
stevodadevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 12:18 PM   #17
dirtybikefrank
Beast wrestler

Oddometer: 360
Funny. They're big ass knobs and they handle like....big ass knobs. They last forever and I run about 10 lbs offroad. Yeah 10. I can outclimb most 450's on my 990.

But shhhhh....

Don't tell anyone or they'll soon shoot up in price like the 908's...
dirtybikefrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 05:57 AM   #18
biggus
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtybikefrank View Post
Funny. They're big ass knobs and they handle like....big ass knobs. They last forever and I run about 10 lbs offroad. Yeah 10. I can outclimb most 450's on my 990.

But shhhhh....

Don't tell anyone or they'll soon shoot up in price like the 908's...
There was a review on Youtube that says they were equal to if not better than the 908. I am hoping they do well in MUD!

Are you running stock rims at 10 lbs? Rim Locks?

What psi have you found that works well on the asphalt?
biggus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 06:17 AM   #19
dirtybikefrank
Beast wrestler

Oddometer: 360
For me they outshine the 908's in price, usability and durability. I'm not easy on the throttle on the street and can easily wear out a set of tkc's in 2500 miles.

Running the enduro on my 525 riding about 70% offroad w bead locks at 8-12 psi if it's not too rocky and 20 ish on the pavement.

Slapped the desert on my 990. 10-12 psi offroad w no bead locks. 25 ish on road for commuting. These things are a bitch to mount. Never had to pull tug stomp hit cuss that much in my life putting a tire on. Once they're on id bet you could run w no air pressure and the sidewalls would hold...

Hats off to you down under boys for making a tire that can get thrashed for miles and miles.
dirtybikefrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 06:41 AM   #20
biggus
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtybikefrank View Post
For me they outshine the 908's in price, usability and durability. I'm not easy on the throttle on the street and can easily wear out a set of tkc's in 2500 miles.

Running the enduro on my 525 riding about 70% offroad w bead locks at 8-12 psi if it's not too rocky and 20 ish on the pavement.

Slapped the desert on my 990. 10-12 psi offroad w no bead locks. 25 ish on road for commuting. These things are a bitch to mount. Never had to pull tug stomp hit cuss that much in my life putting a tire on. Once they're on id bet you could run w no air pressure and the sidewalls would hold...

Hats off to you down under boys for making a tire that can get thrashed for miles and miles.

I can buy plenty of these rears for what a 908 is going for these days!

Thanks for the tid bit on psi. Now you got me not looking forward to mounting these up. Was going to do it in a hotel parking lot in Laos next week!

You kind of described this tire exactly what I heard about the "Terror Flex"...well with it being a bitch to mount and with side walls strong enough and being able to run flat.
biggus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 06:41 AM   #21
stevodadevo
What happened?

Here is a Tractionator after 2,500 miles in Baja on a 990. These tires are tough.

Old 03-22-2013, 08:48 AM   #22
WallyWhirled
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 788
Just got back from 1600+ mile Baja trip. No flats. Ran about 26 psi in front on SE. No rim dings. Plenty of tread left, especially on front. Rear, not so bad either. 2/3 offroad. As others have stated, the front headshake gets better after the tire has worn in. I took my bike up to 113 indicated mph on pavement toward the end of trip. Bike wandered and wasn't comfy but no way would I have gone that fast when the tires were new.

Was very impressed with the tires offroad. The rear gave better traction than any tire I've ever had on a big bike. Dug in and pulled through silt and sand very well. The front was really good when turning in the sand too. No crashes and only a few dabs on the entire trip. I rode fairly conservatively, for me, until I was sure the tires would have enough life to get me home then started spinning up the rear more. Rear tire could easily go another 500 miles. Front probably another 1,000 to 1,500 miles.

My take: The rear is a great tire. The front is not so nice on pavement. Offroad these tires are both super.
Old 03-22-2013, 01:36 PM   #23
stevodadevo
What happened?

Thanks for the report! I'm glad I chose the Tractionators.
Old 04-04-2013, 11:48 AM   #24
sama3033
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
Motoz

I just got back from my shop, trying to mount a Desert 140/80/18 and it would NOT seat on my 4.25" rim - how did you guys get yours on (and stay on)?
sama3033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 01:09 PM   #25
Brokein2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
Just mounted one yesterday on a stock 990 rim......lube and 80 psi was required to fully seat it. No different than any other stubborn tire.
Brokein2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 04:20 PM   #26
pdxmotorhead
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 559
So,, if it takes 80lbs to seat, what happens if you get a flat out in the bush? I use the C02 puffer to fill mine if I have to... 80 would need more cats than I usually carry..

Dave
pdxmotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 04:32 PM   #27
FakeName
Wile E Coyote SuperGenius

Oddometer: 1,649
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxmotorhead View Post
So,, if it takes 80lbs to seat, what happens if you get a flat out in the bush? I use the C02 puffer to fill mine if I have to... 80 would need more cats than I usually carry..

Dave
Best advice I've heard?

Lube it, fill it to the right pressure, then ride it. It'll pop on.

2011 White 990 Adv S
2014 500EXC Black
FakeName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 12:12 PM   #28
frog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,742
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxmotorhead View Post

Dave
You ride it. I could not get a front to seat after fixing a flat and had to ride it 90 miles to get to somewhere with a compressor. With it being a pita to seat and the most unpredictable tire when pushed I took front and rear off before they were used up. Its the first time I've ever not worn a tire bald before they went in the garbage.

Sent from my DROID RAZR
frog is offline   Reply With Quote