ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2013, 10:16 PM   #1
markdvk OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 138
South Central KY ride April 13 2013

We had a free self guided GPS ride out of Harrodsburg, KY last fall and it was a lot of fun for us to host. This time Parts Unlimited provided us a set of tires to give away (Anakee3's)

I have a route pretty much worked headed South this time and it's aimed a little more at the big bike crowd. The dual sport guys will still probably like it but this route has a little more Super Tenere / Vstrom feel to it. The speeds will still be relatively low but a little higher overall. There's some gravel, some dirt with gravel sprinkled on it, tar and chip, and regular old pavement, and maybe a little moss. There will likely be a little water too depending on the weather but nothing epic or youtube worthy (expect 2-4" deep, good gravel bottom, and a 4-5 feet across). I've tried to stay off the larger roads so there are many that are one lane skinny paved paths. The total route covers about 170 miles according to Garmin's mapsource. The route starts in Mercer County, then Boyle, Casey, Russell, Pulaski before returning back to Harrodsburg.

There are several gas stations along the way so the DRZ400 and similar bikes shouldn't have any problem with gas.

If you'll let me know you're coming, we'll have some food for you at the end of the ride. It's BBQ again but from another great source. You might want to pack a lunch though because you'll be out on the route during lunch hour. There's a few places along the route for snacks, drinks, and gas but nothing special.

We'll also have 2 drawings for Anakee3 tires (one front and one rear of sizes that fit Vstrom, Super Tenere, 1200GS, etc. ) To be eligible for the free drawing you have to complete the ride on something the tire will fit.

Time of departure 10:00am, 4/13/2013
Expected return around 4pm.
Place of departure/return is 986 S College St, Harrodsburg, KY
Cost to ride and eat: Free

I'll have the GPS data posted soon after I proof ride it. I've ridden almost all of it a couple of times but there's been a few additions and I like to ride the data from beginning to end to ensure the continuity is ok. If anyone would like to volunteer to do that in the next week or so that would be grand.

markdvk screwed with this post 03-27-2013 at 08:59 PM
markdvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 12:31 PM   #2
Reconstructed
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 246
Subscribed

I'm just north of you in Lawrenceburg, and rode your last route on my own time earlier this year. I must say it was great!

I highly doubt I will be able to make it, I have three young children at the house, so my ride time is pretty much non existant exept for commuting to work. Even so, I still want to have the route you plan, as the last one was excellent.

I have only been in the area since 09, and there is still a lot of the area I have not seen yet.

I will be watching from the sidelines, hoping to check out the route you plan a piece at a time.

Thanks for all the time and effort you put into this!
Reconstructed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 06:31 PM   #3
mbabc
Curmudgeon trainee

Oddometer: 1,841
Thanks Mark. Really appreciate your efforts in doing this. I might be going to the Moonshine Lunch Run that Saturday but this ride has me rethinking things.

I'll be staying tuned.
I don't know what time it is, I've switched to kilometers
mbabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 04:04 PM   #4
jclark83
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 369
Let's bump this back up to the top and hope the weather turns more seasonal. I'm in for sure, had a great ride at last years event.
jclark83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:38 PM   #5
markdvk OP
Gnarly Adventurer

GPS data has been posted

The GPS data for the ride is available here:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=874633

If you have questions about it's use or installation, please post them here so others may benefit from the discussion if they have the same questions.
Old 03-29-2013, 09:04 PM   #6
markdvk OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Update on the route description

There's actually quite a bit of state highway involved this time. Most is pretty interesting riding though. The route was getting pretty long so the highway sections served to shorten the time required without skipping the better sections of remote back roads. There's not too much highway at a time so it also serves to give riders a mental rest in between the more demanding sections (not that any is too hard).

Much of the route was put together by consulting the terrain feature on Google maps. Where there are hills and rivers there are interesting roads. I'm glad I won't be riding a bicycle on the route because there is a huge amount of elevation change.

I don't remember who said it last fall, but one rider said that ride was like a "trail ride for street bikes". That would apply to the ride in April, but it will have a completely different personality. The ride last fall often had you shifting or breaking 10-20 times per mile. This ride will have less of that.

I've had 3 different riders tag along while I was developing the route on different days. They each were on Vstroms and they all really enjoyed the route. Variety (scenery, surface, speeds, and radius of turns) is the strong point of this route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markdvk View Post
I have a route pretty much worked headed South this time and it's aimed a little more at the big bike crowd. The dual sport guys will still probably like it but this route has a little more Super Tenere / Vstrom feel to it. The speeds will still be relatively low but a little higher overall. There's some gravel, some dirt with gravel sprinkled on it, tar and chip, and regular old pavement, and maybe a little moss. There will likely be a little water too depending on the weather but nothing epic or youtube worthy (expect 2-4" deep, good gravel bottom, and a 4-5 feet across). I've tried to stay off the larger roads so there are many that are one lane skinny paved paths. The total route covers about 170 miles according to Garmin's mapsource. The route starts in Mercer County, then Boyle, Casey, Russell, Pulaski before returning back to Harrodsburg.
Old 03-30-2013, 03:37 AM   #7
Sourjon
TAT'erd

Oddometer: 2,051
This looks interesting. I'm going to try and make it if work will allow. Probably ride the TW650. A Versys with fatty front tire :)

John
Old 04-02-2013, 05:10 AM   #8
markdvk OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Error was removed from GPS data on 4/2/13

An small error was discovered in the data near the end of the route. I had corrected it but I accidentally uploaded the wrong version to advrider for distribution. The error should only cause a wasted turn if you still have that version loaded.

If you already have installed the first version in your GPS, it would be a good idea to remove all traces of the first version before downloading and installing the corrected version. I have found that the Garmin Zumo 220 can hang if you install 2 files containing routes with identical names.

The data is available at:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=874633
Old 04-02-2013, 12:50 PM   #9
jclark83
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 369
Route Maps

If you want to look at Mark's route and do not have a GPS or GPS software on your computer you can import the route into google maps using http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/
jclark83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 03:52 PM   #10
jbeem
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 278
Since the ride goes past my house at the southern most point, count me in. I'll be on an R100GS or a 400KLX, maybe both. I might switch when we pass the house.
03 KLX 400
08 Versys
jbeem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 04:19 PM   #11
KTMmer950
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
You can put down two guys from Indy on your ride to. I had a ball last year with Woodsrat so I talked another friend to come down with me this year. You are going right by two people I know houses and Jbeem is one of them. We are going to be on WR250Rs so keeping up with you big bore boys might be a little hard. The route looks good and I am glade you updated it because the first one I did not have the tracks download. I like using tracks better.
KTMmer950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:18 AM   #12
markdvk OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTMmer950 View Post
You can put down two guys from Indy on your ride to. I had a ball last year with Woodsrat so I talked another friend to come down with me this year. You are going right by two people I know houses and Jbeem is one of them. We are going to be on WR250Rs so keeping up with you big bore boys might be a little hard. The route looks good and I am glade you updated it because the first one I did not have the tracks download. I like using tracks better.
It's amazing how small the world is. There's also a guy from near Liberty KY who is coming on a WR250. When 3 of us were checking out the final version of the route, we passed his house and waved at him. He had read about the route development and called our shop to ask if the guys who waved were from here.

I'd say there's around 20 or so coming with a good mix of bikes.
Old 04-05-2013, 01:15 PM   #13
mbabc
Curmudgeon trainee

Oddometer: 1,841
90% sure I'll be there Mark.

Those tires in Tenere sizes?
I don't know what time it is, I've switched to kilometers
mbabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 02:28 PM   #14
keeponriding
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
I'll probably win them....as I just had them mounted on my bike last week!

I'll sell them to first guy/gal holding cash.
Old 04-05-2013, 06:02 PM   #15
BMWLOU
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
I'm in

I've ridden back roads to Harrodsburg, Shakertown and Perryville but would love to see what a local can show me. Plan to be there.
BMWLOU is offline   Reply With Quote