User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2013, 04:13 AM   #1
Grantw OP
Jag990

Oddometer: 1
Bluhduh Warning - Potentially Fatal KTM 990 failure

Thought I would post this as a warning to other KTM 990 riders or get alternative opinions on what happened.

On a recent 2000km trip on my 2012 KTM 990 Adv. I had the screw cap that provides access to the crank on the left hand flywheel cover fall out! Fortunately this must have happen just as I was entering a town ( slow speed) and only noticed it when I stopped for fuel. My left boot and the entire swing arm and left side of the tire was literally dripping with oil! If this had happened earlier in one of the high speed passes I would have gone down for sure.

Took 800ml of oil to refill to correct level after temporary repair was made and managed to complete a great trip!

I can only think that the mechanic must have over tightened the plastic screw cap and stripped the thread? KTM had repaired the motor under warrantee a few weeks earlier after the oil pump drive gear sheared in half. The replacement OEM gear that they supplied was a machined gear not cast metal like the original one that broke?

Still a great bike but I have replaced the plastic screw cap with a stainless steel plug and Locktite!
Grantw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 04:24 AM   #2
Orangecicle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,084
Yep. An issue that CJ has addressed: http://www.cjdesignsllc.com/products...ator-plug-kit/
Orangecicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 04:34 AM   #3
johnno950
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 927
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grantw View Post
Thought I would post this as a warning to other KTM 990 riders or get alternative opinions on what happened.

On a recent 2000km trip on my 2012 KTM 990 Adv. I had the screw cap that provides access to the crank on the left hand flywheel cover fall out! Fortunately this must have happen just as I was entering a town ( slow speed) and only noticed it when I stopped for fuel. My left boot and the entire swing arm and left side of the tire was literally dripping with oil! If this had happened earlier in one of the high speed passes I would have gone down for sure.

Took 800ml of oil to refill to correct level after temporary repair was made and managed to complete a great trip!

I can only think that the mechanic must have over tightened the plastic screw cap and stripped the thread? KTM had repaired the motor under warrantee a few weeks earlier after the oil pump drive gear sheared in half. The replacement OEM gear that they supplied was a machined gear not cast metal like the original one that broke?

Still a great bike but I have replaced the plastic screw cap with a stainless steel plug and Locktite!
more like warning dickhead worked on my bike,not a oem ktm issue
johnno950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 04:49 AM   #4
gefr
Life is a trip

Oddometer: 3,720
Well such a big screw cap shouldn't be plastic in the first place.

I had this cap broken by my mech on my KTM , so yes it is a OEM KTM problem IMHO.
Cheers.

gefr screwed with this post 04-05-2013 at 07:45 AM
gefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 07:34 AM   #5
rossguzzi
990 Adv.

Oddometer: 748
Same type of plastic bung in Aprilia Rotax motors. Ive been on the AF1 Aprilia forum for 8 years and never herd of one going missing. Not that it is impossible. I may well buy one off CJ too.
rossguzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 03:07 PM   #6
felixblack1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 160
there are aluminium plugs on ebay from china that are great quality and even comes in genuine parts ktm packaging for about $16 delivered. unfortunately i can't post the link up due to forum rules
felixblack1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 03:23 PM   #7
Alleycatdad
Unbunch yer panties!

Oddometer: 1,385
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnno950 View Post
more like warning dickhead worked on my bike,not a oem ktm issue

While I'm sure the plastic may bother some folks, if you treat it right, it shouldn't be a big issue. If you're worried about it slap a patch of gorilla tape over whatever you have and it'll be ugly but secure.

My experience with my KTM dealer mech leads me to believe that he could destroy an anvil by just looking at it...

S
Bad decisions make good stories.
Alleycatdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 05:45 PM   #8
Nowwhat
I'll Go Second...

Oddometer: 4,481
Sooo dramatic........

I am off to go run wit scissors now....
'Berg 570..Trail Beast
Nowwhat is online now   Reply With Quote