Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2013, 06:33 PM   #16
Hulley
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by NobeyamaGP View Post
I'm about 5'8" with a 29-30" inseam and I just brought home my new (to me) '12 800XC. I sat on both it and the roadie and honestly the seat height difference felt little enough that I couldn't think of an excuse to pass over a lightly used XC in favor of a new roadie so that's what I went with. The seat height is something I'm getting used to. My only other bike is what I started riding on: an 81 Kawasaki KZ440 with a seat height of about 28", if that. Sitting on that bike was about like sitting in a chair, knees bent and both feet flat on the ground. I've had a few unsteady moments at stoplights with the XC, but so far it hasn't been that hard to get used to, as Lion BR put it, the Captain Morgan approach .

With my boots on, I can get the balls of both feet down or one foot on the peg and the other mostly flat on the ground. I thought about lowering links and/or a lower seat, but it really isn't proving to be much of an issue getting used to it.

Now, if I can just keep my fingers from going numb when I ride the thing for more than 15 minutes, I'll be in heaven.
Why your fingers going numb?
Hulley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 07:24 PM   #17
NobeyamaGP
Nerdy Adventurer

Oddometer: 92
I think it's a combination of getting used to a new seating/handlebar position and possible early onset of carpal tunnel. I do a lot of repetitive motions at work and have been having mild issues off and on for a few months now. The grips feel a bit small compared to what I'm used to as well, so I'm gonna try some Grip Puppies and see if the added thickness and padding will help.

2012 Triumph Tiger 800XC
1981 Kawasaki KZ440 LTD
NobeyamaGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 12:41 PM   #18
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,370
I feel your pain. I am 5'9 as well. Say what you want, its tall for 5'9 and under. I am ordering the low seat next week and I have had the bike for a year. It helps to get more footing with low speed stuff.
Old 04-22-2013, 06:23 PM   #19
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 3,926
I'm 5-10, 30" pants (maybe 31 on a good day) and get tip-toes on the high seat. I like more legroom riding. With a full load or the wife aboard I'll drop the seat down for better footing. Just don't try to prop up the bike from the downhill side.
Old 04-22-2013, 07:53 PM   #20
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,370
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
I'm 5-10, 30" pants (maybe 31 on a good day) and get tip-toes on the high seat. I like more legroom riding. With a full load or the wife aboard I'll drop the seat down for better footing. Just don't try to prop up the bike from the downhill side.
Did you just get a WR250F? I may need to PM ya for a few questions.
Old 04-22-2013, 08:33 PM   #21
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 3,926
Quote:
Originally Posted by burmbuster View Post
Did you just get a WR250F? I may need to PM ya for a few questions.
Had a 08 for a couple of years, my son's bike, then sold it and got a '04 with a plate. Neat little dirtbike for sure.
Also had a KTM 250XCFW, rode it for about 4 years, sold it. Also a fantastic trailbike. I'm getting too old for that shit.

My XC with the seat in low position. Rode it that way for the first 5K miles, just raised it up for more legroom. It's a bit tall.

Old 04-22-2013, 10:15 PM   #22
The Breeze
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by NobeyamaGP View Post
I think it's a combination of getting used to a new seating/handlebar position and possible early onset of carpal tunnel. I do a lot of repetitive motions at work and have been having mild issues off and on for a few months now. The grips feel a bit small compared to what I'm used to as well, so I'm gonna try some Grip Puppies and see if the added thickness and padding will help.

Unfortunately, I have a similar problem (carpal tunnel). Even though this bike is super smooth/minimal vibes...it was still an issue for me.

Do yourself a favor and install the following:

1) Grip Puppies (as you previously mentioned)

2) Buy a pair of DR650 "bar end weights" and a couple of longer bolts from Lowes/Home depot. They will bolt on, exterior to the stock hand guards.

The grip puppies and the bar end weights will drop the vibes in a big fashion.

Lastly, 3) Buy a set of Rox Risers. This will bring the bars up and back closer to you....giving you a more upright riding position...and less weight on you wrists.

These mods helped my wrists immensely.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!
The Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 04:41 AM   #23
NobeyamaGP
Nerdy Adventurer

Oddometer: 92
I'll definitely keep that in mind. The grip puppies have helped quite a bit. I have thought about getting some bar risers to get the bars to a more comfortable position, but for now i'm testing out some new padded gloves to see if they help. Good to know about the bar end weights too. Thanks!

2012 Triumph Tiger 800XC
1981 Kawasaki KZ440 LTD
NobeyamaGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 02:39 PM   #24
AL417
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
I'm 5'6" woman and ride the 800xc. Got lowering links, low seat and have Daytona MStar boots. I can flat foot now and I love riding my Tiger.

AL417 screwed with this post 05-12-2013 at 04:13 PM
AL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 06:24 AM   #25
Blixa
Derelicte

Oddometer: 500
Thread bump!

Anyone know if there are any manufacturers who make a low seat for the XC that is lower than the Triumph low seat? I know I can get one made somewhere, but I figured if there's a popular seat out there, I can get a few opinions about how comfortable it is over long distances. Thanks!