ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2013, 06:38 PM   #2326
c-zulu
Resident Dirt Burner

Oddometer: 1,245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lutz View Post
This morning on the way to work, I smacked a big deer with the right front corner of my car. ..

Didn't notice that on the way in today...I'm usually in a fog half the time anyway.

Interested in how the 450 works out, let me visit when you split it apart..
MOTO GUZZI STELVIO NTX---VICTORY KINGPIN TOUR
c-zulu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 07:16 PM   #2327
MikeS
Motorcycle hacker

Oddometer: 712
Quote:
This morning on the way to work, I smacked a big deer with the right front corner of my car.
Sorry to hear that. There have been a lot of deer on 61. I'm commuting to Silver Bay for another week, and have dodged plenty of the long leg rats. Will you have the Honda ready for Moonshine next week?
Old 04-05-2013, 08:40 PM   #2328
award900
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by detours View Post
Hello all. Noob looking for Northshore riding info. Where would an XR find happiness up here?
Are you new to the area or new to the xr? Welcome to ADV!
award900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 05:14 AM   #2329
bidda444
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 151
Quote:
Many thanks guys. That's all great info.

Lutz- I'll definitely put the Shindig on my calendar.

Bidda444- How far of a jaunt is that from TH?
detours:
Nemadji offers single track and combo OHM-ATV trails and forest roads, camping available. Straight Arrows Club manages the track and they've previously held the ARMCA Nat'l Enduro at the site.
Nemadji will be ~ 1 hr ride from TH. Best route from TH is backroads to Midway rd, then Midway all the way south to Grand Av (hwy23), then 23 south to Holyoke exit - into Northern part of Nemadji. Return route back through Wisc is nice, could probably make it a 200 miler
bidda444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 05:21 AM   #2330
bidda444
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 151
This morning on the way to work, I smacked a big deer with the right front corner of my car. .

Sorrry to hear about the grilled venison...damn dnr. At least you'll have shop-time with the bikes to keep your mind off insurance deductables
bidda444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 06:09 AM   #2331
toadl
toadl

Oddometer: 830
Woke up this morning and started thinking about Lutz's CRF450X. Let me say, That doesn't mean I woke up thinking about Lutz. I hope you can keep us updated on the project. I've found a lot of help by posting major projects on ThumperTalk. I was wondering if you where going to install steel valves. I've help the reliability 450X, with as many miles you will put on it.
Old 04-06-2013, 06:26 AM   #2332
jwalters
Farkle Proliferator

Oddometer: 2,185
Congrats on the CRF! What exactly is wrong with it? I ask, b/c I may have some engine tools you may need. And of course, post pics when you get'er.

Quote:
Well gang, I'm not sure what to make of my fortunes lately...

Within a week I'll own a (street legal) Honda CRF450X in addition to my KLX250S. . However, the Honda is already broken...not broken in, just plain broken. . But I'm getting it at a good price, I'm aware of what the problem is, and I'm capable of fixing it, though I may need to round up a few specialized tools.

Proliferator of Farkles of Mass Percussion
jwalters is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 06:34 AM   #2333
detours
Total poser wannabee

Oddometer: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by award900 View Post
Are you new to the area or new to the xr? Welcome to ADV!
I'm a transplant from the western U.P. about a year ago, still have a house there, so ride there quite a bit, but I want to start exploring around here. Day trips w/ a topo map, or group rides, just looking to get in with the people in the know. I met one of the guys last fall in a Craigslist deal, and he talked about the riding culture here, and a get together that had just happened (which explained the large quantity of dual-sports heading South on 61), and it sounded like a good time with like minded people, so I'm looking forward to hopefully getting out and riding with some of those like minded people, if it ever stops snowing that is...
detours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 06:43 AM   #2334
jwalters
Farkle Proliferator

I've been known to buy way too many bikes on craigslist. Which bike where you selling? Maybe we've met? I hope my check cleared.

Quote:
I met one of the guys last fall in a Craigslist deal, and he talked about the riding culture here, and a get together that had just happened (which explained the large quantity of dual-sports heading South on 61).

Old 04-06-2013, 07:05 AM   #2335
detours
Total poser wannabee

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalters View Post
I've been known to buy way too many bikes on craigslist. Which bike where you selling? Maybe we've met? I hope my check cleared.
It was just a tank bag. I'm sure my wife was hoping I would throw a motorcycle in with the deal, but she got the cash, and I was able to ride another day.
Old 04-06-2013, 07:11 AM   #2336
jwalters
Farkle Proliferator

Well executed plan my friend.

Quote:
It was just a tank bag. I'm sure my wife was hoping I would throw a motorcycle in with the deal, but she got the cash, and I was able to ride another day.

Old 04-06-2013, 07:21 AM   #2337
detours
Total poser wannabee

Quote:
Well executed plan my friend.
I bow my head in humble service.
Old 04-06-2013, 07:39 AM   #2338
Lutz
Killer Rabbit

Oddometer: 1,234
Quote:
Originally Posted by toadl View Post
Woke up this morning and started thinking about Lutz's CRF450X. Let me say, That doesn't mean I woke up thinking about Lutz. ... I was wondering if you where going to install steel valves. ...
But...was I on the CRF while you were thinking about it? Yes, I will install steel valves, but at this time probably only if the OEM Ti valves need to be replaced. Same thing with a TRX450R (3 ring) piston. I want to keep the initial repair as inexpensive as possible, while addressing anything that really needs to be done and making a few durability upgrades along the way.

Quote:
Congrats on the CRF! What exactly is wrong with it? I ask, b/c I may have some engine tools you may need. And of course, post pics when you get'er.
Thanks. It's got a locked up transmission. Fairly common for the early CRF450X when used on the road, likely third gear is seized to the countershaft. So specialty tools I may or may not need are flywheel puller, clutch hub holder, crank case splitter.

The CRF450X is probably going to be a slow project for me. I've got so many other commitments this spring that I just won't have much wrenching time. I'm hopeful that I'll have it running by late June.
Lutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 09:04 AM   #2339
SplitRock
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
Meety-Greety !!

Since it's sleeting here right now, I thought everyone could use a little sumpin'-sumpin' to look forward to. So how bout a June 1st day of riding, grilling, and perhaps a tasty beverage or two ? Or 3. I'm in Duluth and y'all are welcome. That's a Saturday. My thought was maybe meeting up about noon. A bunch of riding around the area, maybe into Aerostich, then fire up the grill late afternoon into the evening.

To keep tabs on who can make it, I thought you can PM me. I'll get back to you with info. You fellas up the shore better be in !

Brent
SplitRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 10:42 AM   #2340
tommymerle
advwanabee

Oddometer: 330
Lutz, I have several special tools that may come in handy. Hammers from 3 oz to 12 lbs.