Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Australia
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2013, 05:50 AM   #4096
excTC
Carbon Ktm lifeform

Oddometer: 164
How long do the tanks take to install. Do you have to remove the air box etc.
Old 03-27-2013, 06:31 AM   #4097
hobbes67
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
[/QUOTE]

Very nice bike! that was the setup I had in mind if I were not installing the front fairing!

Just out of curiosity, where did you run the fuel line in the end? I remember you asking this question in the EVO2 thread in the thumpers forum.
I do not see the line on the right side, external, did you run it on the other side?

cheers
Gianluca
hobbes67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 01:07 PM   #4098
Big Willy
two dementional

Oddometer: 2,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth S View Post
setting #1 is for the birds (IMO ). I tried it a couple of times but found it was rather pointless and just learned to handle the full power. Setting number 1 limits how far the throttle plate can open and drops about 40 hp off the bike.
G'day Seth,
While that may have rung true with the earlier models, I've just checked with the Tune ECU standard maps and the Evo maps for the 2012 and at full throttle, the butterfly is open 100% on throttle settings 1, 2 and 3

Settings 2 and 3 are for hoons

Big Willy screwed with this post 03-27-2013 at 01:50 PM
Big Willy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 01:10 PM   #4099
Beer'o'clock Baz
?

Oddometer: 1,688
Quote:
setting #1 is for the birds (IMO ). I tried it a couple of times but found it was rather pointless and just learned to handle the full power. Setting number 1 limits how far the throttle plate can open and drops about 40 hp off the bike.
But its there for a particular reason its not there for normal riding ( I use it for creek crossings and bad mud } antway each to there own tweet tweet . I thought it was the timing not fuel delivery .
Old 03-27-2013, 01:42 PM   #4100
Hoots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,157
Quote:
I played with the settings when I first got this bike, but found they exacerbated the issues I was having re' stalling and low idle / oil light.

I agree that practice with clutch control is the way to go - something to work on over the coming winter - will also fit UHD tubes and lower the pressures front and back - I've avoided doing that in rocky country in the past, but admitedly not with UHD tubes - also get a bit lazy, as ride to and from the forest on this bike and have tended just to leave the tyres pumped up to protect them on the tar ...

Occurs to me that I'll also need to fit rim locks ...

The difficulty only occurs on very steep and long hills with a lot of loose rock - in fact, there's only two or three sections like this around here that I know of - everything is fine up to that point, which seemed to be some sort of traction threshold and needing something over-and-above the usual approach - I've put about 7,000km of forest fire trails on this bike, and have encountered the problem only once.

Anyway, will try all the above and keep working on the skills in the background ...

Hoots screwed with this post 03-27-2013 at 02:04 PM
Hoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 01:32 AM   #4101
D-Rally
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Foam Air Filter

Any tips on oiling a Uni Filter for a 690? I'm assuming you oil the "inside" of the filter and then just squeeze it through?
Old 03-28-2013, 02:21 AM   #4102
BygDaddee
Where do I get a pie

Oddometer: 1,272
I remove the springs, tip some filter oil into a plastic bag, put the filter in the bag, and then just squeeze it through. The same way I have always done all my foam filters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Rally View Post
Any tips on oiling a Uni Filter for a 690? I'm assuming you oil the "inside" of the filter and then just squeeze it through?

Pauls Spot Tracker http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...mgxmQRRUCqrKiY

BygDaddee screwed with this post 03-28-2013 at 02:57 AM
BygDaddee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 04:01 AM   #4103
excTC
Carbon Ktm lifeform

Oddometer: 164
I use a spray can and give it a good spray. It seems to soak in fairly well.
Old 03-30-2013, 02:33 AM   #4104
johnno950
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 904
Was good to get back on the 690 today,nice dirt roads south of springsure.
johnno950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 03:00 PM   #4105
creedyflyr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoots View Post
Some more pics.

The tanks are beautiful - very well made, and sit nicely on the bike - slim design, and good ergonomics.

Have to say also that you'd struggle to find a company with better service.

Thanks Mate, I think I'm sold on the orange. They look glossier than i expected. I noticed another inmate had pics of his black tanks with plain black stickers that came with the kit to make them glossy. Is that why yours look like that? or is that just how they are.
Creedy.
creedyflyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 11:49 PM   #4106
Hoots
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by creedyflyr View Post
Thanks Mate, I think I'm sold on the orange. They look glossier than i expected. I noticed another inmate had pics of his black tanks with plain black stickers that came with the kit to make them glossy. Is that why yours look like that? or is that just how they are.
Creedy.
Glossy orange stickers ...

The tanks themselves are not really finished for use without stickers ...
Old 04-05-2013, 05:06 AM   #4107
chrisamberely
USMC. (retired).

Oddometer: 127
Question Losing weight...

I read on another post somewhere that for every kg of weight u get rid of ya gonna get the equivelant of 1 kg of hp at the back wheel.

So to max the bikes grunt and get rid of the extra crap I threw out the stock can and put an Akro on. Maybe 2 kg saved. I swapped to a much better battery with more cold crank and also 2 kg lighter.
Passenger pegs, chain guide, got rid of a mirror, lost the one hung low tail section and changed the rear sprocket to an alloy job. Lost more.

I'd say I took 9 kegs off the weight all up, and talking with former inmate guymcfly, who now has the same bike - he reckons he's taken 10 off of his. Might b running tubliss tire systems.

Has anybody come up with a better number than that? I'd be interested to hear what people have done to there bike.
chrisamberely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 05:23 AM   #4108
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Oddometer: 5,623
Most seem to make them about 30 kg heavier!
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, “You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I’m just not close enough to get the job done.”

George Carlin
Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 01:22 PM   #4109
Hoots
Beastly Adventurer

You might improve the rideability a little bit by shedding some weight, but I doubt you'd do much to alter what happens at the back wheel - not with a bike this strong ...

The performance mods (for the sake of performance) are obviously a different story ...
Old 04-05-2013, 09:39 PM   #4110
chrisamberely
USMC. (retired).

Oddometer: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoots View Post
You might improve the rideability a little bit by shedding some weight, but I doubt you'd do much to alter what happens at the back wheel - not with a bike this strong ...

The performance mods (for the sake of performance) are obviously a different story ...
yah I hear what you are saying, so maybe 'rideability was a better word to use. I found mine was better on the back wheel after its slimming routine.
I reckon it just took some of the weight off the butt end and there was less of a trend to slide out under power when doing tight hillside turns up the single trax stuff.
It also helped its turning no end, the butt slides around real nice when u get on the gas - kind of nicely controlled. Doesn't seem to push into corners so much when the speeds up either.

chrisamberely screwed with this post 04-05-2013 at 09:42 PM Reason: bad spelling
chrisamberely is offline   Reply With Quote