ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: If there was an inexpensive way to get your bike there and back would you enter?
Yes, In a heartbeat 70 90.91%
Looks to dangerous, no thanks 3 3.90%
Sure, but only if the roadbooks list McDonalds too. 4 5.19%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-10-2013, 09:41 AM   #31
fredgilb OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 139
The end is near! We pull into Toulon. A big city....... with traffic! Whoa. I feel like a visitor from a different dimension. Our paddock village is right on the water.

Jean-Philiipe getting a little mouth to mouth resuscitation, we are in France after all.

So we have a few hours to relax, eat, fix, wander then it's the infamous Mont Faron hill climb at night. My start time is 23:20. I was asked when my start time was, I replied "almost tomorrow". This is a stage they use every year. But it's the first time they've run it at night. The other little bit of trivia is that it's the only stage you can't reckie beforehand because it's a one lane road run backwards from the everyday direction.
Here's a great video of Alex Busquets setting the second fastest time in 2010 in daylight. I wish I had seen this before we had to do it at night.

Time to get those mangled LED cornering lights pointed in the right direction.
I'm biting my tongue. I built this bike myself so it was hard for me to step back and let the students do their thing. OK guys, I trust you to get those lights working so I don't drive off the mountain tonight. I asked a rider who had ridden last year if he didn't think it was a little crazy to do the Mont Faron at night.
"Oh no, it's much better, you won't be able to see how far down the drop might be!"

fredgilb screwed with this post 04-13-2013 at 06:55 PM
fredgilb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 03:17 PM   #32
fredgilb OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Hanging out at the start............. overlooking Toulon.

fredgilb screwed with this post 03-22-2013 at 06:45 PM
Old 03-17-2013, 03:29 PM   #33
fredgilb OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I'm trying not to look at the light. Gotta keep my night vision ready! Oh man, I can't imagine what I'm in for.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:30 AM   #34
fredgilb OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Pretty much what I'm thinking!

fredgilb screwed with this post 03-22-2013 at 07:41 PM
Old 03-22-2013, 07:38 PM   #35
fredgilb OP
Gnarly Adventurer

OK, My turn.........
Old 03-23-2013, 05:16 PM   #36
fredgilb OP
Gnarly Adventurer

GOooooo!

Note to self, next time you have a hillclimb at night, don't aim your lights on flat ground! They'll be aimed to low! Damn, it's dark out here.
Old 03-23-2013, 10:46 PM   #37
fredgilb OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Looks like fun, eh?

fredgilb screwed with this post 04-15-2013 at 09:44 PM
Old 03-24-2013, 10:12 AM   #38
fredgilb OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Off I went charging into the blackest night. Tentative at first since I had stupidly aimed my lights too low. I realized that they were much better if I accelerated really hard. Hey, now there's the incentive I need! Once the course started zig-zaging around hairpins it got easier. Just pin it and wait till you see the pads with the arrows and you know where the next hairpin is. Am I crazy or what? Verdict is still out on that one. I'm vaguely aware of cheering spectators which I must admit I found motivating. I'm still in one piece at the finish, we have a wild descent off the mountain then have to navigate back to the paddock village.

We pass through Toulon which seems like a pleasant city that still has a languid summer feel to it. I can now take in the views which are spectacular. What a night! Tomorrow is the last day. Every one is feeling like we can take anything at this point.....bring it on! I had to marvel at some of the lighting set-ups I saw. I thought I was prepared but I had to laugh after seeing some of the setups that could light a stadium with banks of LED's.

We're back!

fredgilb screwed with this post 04-15-2013 at 09:47 PM
Old 04-04-2013, 08:07 PM   #39
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8

Oddometer: 6,323
WOW! Thanks for sharing. I would rather do that rally than make out with the girl in the Mercury commercials.
Anything like this in the states?
86 Husky 400 XCE, 00 Husky Te 610 e, 1999 Husky TC610 SM, 2000 Cagiva GC; Google: TX7
fritzcoinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:38 PM   #40
fredgilb OP
Gnarly Adventurer

In the States? I wish. I've thought a lot about the the way roads are laid out in France. Even in farming area's there are tons of little roads cris-crossing in every direction. I think this must have had to do with the fact that this farmland was settled so long before the advent of motorized travel. Also farms tended to be much smaller. There just isn't that kind of history in the USA. Even in New England.

As far the rally is concerned, in France there is there is a culture of letting people take responsibility for their own risks (thou that seems to slowly be changing, 100hp max ?).

Most people I spoke with are surprised that in this day and age it's still possible. They wonder how much longer they'll be able to run this event. It really is unique. The next closest thing is the IOM. But that's pure racing.

I figured, you only live once! As a M/C fanatic I couldn't resist!

fredgilb screwed with this post 04-16-2013 at 09:49 PM
Old 04-04-2013, 11:08 PM   #41
Sroz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
Absolutely amazing! Thanks for taking the time to put this up!
Sroz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 03:23 PM   #42
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8

Poll at the start of this RR

First, I would REALLY like to do a rally like this, especially in Europe. Clearly, a lot of interest from others as well.

I was thinking, now I'm thinking out loud, how to make this affordable for an average Joe like me. Here's what I came up with: if there is enough folk that will COMMIT far enough in advance we get a group together here in the states and obtain a 40' sea container. I think it would hold at least 20 bikes and all their riders gear. Load it up, unload and ride the rally, reload for the return.

Or, we could book space with a load of oil tools or such on a freight aircraft for our bikes, our gear, and us. No in flight movies or hot stewardess but sounds cheaper than commercial.

Some logistics expert please chime in, are these viable plans and if so what does that make the freight cost for each bike?

Further thinking how cost could be reduced, for example; Myself and others drive their trucks with trailers and with their bike to the shipping location and pick up other riders along the way.

Plenty more details to work out of course, but I think you get my drift.
86 Husky 400 XCE, 00 Husky Te 610 e, 1999 Husky TC610 SM, 2000 Cagiva GC; Google: TX7
Old 04-05-2013, 05:05 PM   #43
fredgilb OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzcoinc View Post
First, I would REALLY like to do a rally like this, especially in Europe. Clearly, a lot of interest from others as well.

I was thinking, now I'm thinking out loud, how to make this affordable for an average Joe like me. Here's what I came up with: if there is enough folk that will COMMIT far enough in advance we get a group together here in the states and obtain a 40' sea container. I think it would hold at least 20 bikes and all their riders gear. Load it up, unload and ride the rally, reload for the return.

Or, we could book space with a load of oil tools or such on a freight aircraft for our bikes, our gear, and us. No in flight movies or hot stewardess but sounds cheaper than commercial.

Some logistics expert please chime in, are these viable plans and if so what does that make the freight cost for each bike?

Further thinking how cost could be reduced, for example; Myself and others drive their trucks with trailers and with their bike to the shipping location and pick up other riders along the way.

Plenty more details to work out of course, but I think you get my drift.
Now you're talkin'!
That is exactly what I was hoping this RR would accomplish. I'm thinking 5 -7 people should be enough to get the cost down to a reasonable figure. More than that might be logistically hairy!

I never heard of airfreight taking passengers too. Is this something you are familiar with?

fredgilb screwed with this post 04-06-2013 at 08:14 PM
Old 04-05-2013, 08:22 PM   #44
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredgilb View Post
Now you're talkin"!
That is exactly what I was hoping this post would accomplish. I'm thinking 5 -7 people should be enough to get the cost down to a reasonable figure. More than that might be logistically hairy!

I never heard of airfreight taking passengers too. Is this something you are familiar with?
Not first hand other than scheduling. I have seen oil tools go air freight with the installation crews. I guess some phone calls and surfing is in order.

I'm thinking a SM around 600CC of some sort is the way to go. Would you ride your Ducati again?
Old 04-05-2013, 10:32 PM   #45
fredgilb OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzcoinc View Post
Not first hand other than scheduling. I have seen oil tools go air freight with the installation crews. I guess some phone calls and surfing is in order.

I'm thinking a SM around 600CC of some sort is the way to go. Would you ride your Ducati again?
Airfreight with seating! That's a very cool concept!

The 690 KTM's are super popular. I'm hoping to get a Hypermotard. I think it might be the ultimate ride for that event. The new one's have bigger tanks
Failing that, I'd use the S4 again, with shorter gearing and more lighting. All that torque makes it much less tiring on really long days. This year has back to back marathon days. Gonna be intense. But everyone is sure the weather will be brilliant!

I tried to find a euro manufacturer for euro delivery but none of them do it any more. The only one that didn't say impossible is MV. But they haven't gotten back to me yet.

fredgilb screwed with this post 04-05-2013 at 10:37 PM