Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2013, 04:53 AM   #46
dwj - Donnie OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,266
Quote:
Originally Posted by farrell caesar View Post
Donnie, we need to ride again. I have not finished indoctrinating you. We did not always agree but we always had a good ride. Remember Alamos? I know a iron worker there now. saludos amigo
True!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lartech View Post
Way to go Donnie! Glad to hear of your adventures again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by achesley View Post
Enjoying the pictures Donnie. Just love the old buildings.
I understand on ride reports, a pain to keep up on the road and too many other things more fun to do when getting home. Plus , don't remember where I was when taking certain pictures.
? Did you miss the KLR when having all the problems with the R11GS?
Most mechanics down there would be more competent working on the KLR. I still have the KLR. It is for sale, you want to buy it!
dwj - Donnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 05:25 AM   #47
dwj - Donnie OP
Beastly Adventurer

Time to leave Antigua and head to Atitlan Lake. It is situated at about 5,000 feet and is surrounded by volcanoes. Had a bit of a problem with the moto dying and immediately refiring on the way. BTW, this route is still headed in the northerly direction in case of continued problems. The moto is only having a problem as it approached normal operating temperature. No problem when it is cold or at normal temps.

Was at 9,000 feet for part of this ride.
Old 04-06-2013, 05:26 AM   #48
dwj - Donnie OP
Beastly Adventurer

Atitlan Lake

Old 04-06-2013, 05:26 AM   #49
dwj - Donnie OP
Beastly Adventurer

I got a hotel close to the lake.

Old 04-06-2013, 05:46 AM   #50
dwj - Donnie OP
Beastly Adventurer

The next day the moto died again! I was across the street from a very nice couple who assisted as best they could. A traffic cop said he has a nephew that is a moto mechanic. He called him to come look at the problem. It was several hours before the mechanic arrived, When he did, he quickly surveyed the problem and was sure that it was the computer. I tried to explain to him as best I could the function of the Hall's Sensor, but it did not change his mind. By this time it was almost dark. The people across the street offered their garage for the night, so the moto strayed there and I went to a hotel, The mechanic was to pick me up the next morning and we would pull the moto to his shop.

I spent a lot of time that night and the next morning researching on ADV about the Hall's Sensor and its associated problems. With a lot of people's help and especially Liz in New Hampshire, I had better educated myself before the mechanic's arrival. BTW, while I knew the problem had a very small probability of being the computer, the mechanic seemed to be a competent person. To my delight, when the mechanic arrived the next morning, he had also been doing research during the night and now understood the Hall's Sensor needed to be checked.

One of the most scary thing I have ever done on a moto happened that morning! I was on the north shore of Lake Atitlan, there was no flat spots and all of the streets were very rough cobble stone. I forgot to change from flip flops to my riding boots before we left the hotel. When we arrived to the moto's location, the mechanic took out his rope and tied it to the back of his car. Folks this is no exaggeration, there was between four and five feet of distance between the front wheel of the moto and his bumper. That was a very very very scary ride!!! But we made it!

When we pulled the cover from the alternator, pulleys and the belt, parts of the Hall's Sensor literally fell out on the ground! Did I mention that I told the folks at the BMW Stealership that the Hall's Sensor was a likely cause of the problem when I dropped the moto off for it's nine day visit?
Old 04-06-2013, 06:19 AM   #51
kitesurfer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,578
good pics Donnie! keep 'um coming!!!
Old 04-06-2013, 08:40 AM   #52
cavebiker
Old School Adventurer

Oddometer: 849
Thumb

Fantastic!

www.JustAdventureTravel.net
cavebiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 01:26 PM   #53
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,880
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwj - Donnie View Post
If I bought one, there still would not be one in Greenville, because I live in Clarksdale.
Sorry 'bout that. I thought sure it was Greenville. My Mississippi geography gets confused north of I-10.
Ride safe and keep the pics coming. Looks like a great trip !
Old 04-06-2013, 06:58 PM   #54
achesley
Old Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 3,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwj - Donnie View Post
[COLOR=yellow]Most mechanics down there would be more competent working on the KLR. I still have the KLR. It is for sale, you want to buy it!

Heck, mine just did cross 32,000 miles after 13 years. It's a keeper for sure for what I do down here.

A '00 KLR 650 39,000 miles, A '07 1250S 77,000 actual, A '03 5.3L Chevy Truck 76,000 + '43 style dude , Simper Fi ;-)
achesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 04:36 AM   #55
dwj - Donnie OP
Beastly Adventurer

The moto is fixed and ready for Central America!
Old 04-07-2013, 04:37 AM   #56
dwj - Donnie OP
Beastly Adventurer

First stop is San Salvador to visit a friend.
Old 04-07-2013, 04:54 AM   #57
dwj - Donnie OP
Beastly Adventurer

My friend's name is Johana and her eight year old daughter's name is Alison. She is divorced and a single mom working as a desk clerk in a hotel I stayed at in San Salvador last year while riding the KLR down to Nicaragua. She works 84 hours per week for $54! She works a 24 hour shift every other day and is not allowed to sleep while on duty. There are no holidays and no vacations. Plus, if she has to work extra shifts, there is no extra pay! Yes, life is tough, but Johana is always smiling. And she has a beautiful smile!

Johana told me last year that she had a fiancé in Mexico, but that she had never seen him in person, their only communication was through Facebook. I told her that she was beautiful and sexy. She only knew about this man, what he wanted her to know. She needed to find a boyfriend in San Salvador. But, Johana, who is a very religious person seemed convinced that the Lord had chosen this man for her. We became friends on facebook and I have talked to her many times during this past year. In fact, I have talked with her more than any other Facebook friend I have. If you are my friend on Facebook you have saw her and her posting almost every day.

As the time approached for my trip this year, we were planning a visit together. Toward the end of the year, she begin to tell me of a visit from her Mexican boyfriend and that they were to get married. I thought to myself, this will never happen! This guy is just playing with her! Imagine my surprise when he did in fact go to San Salvador and they were married. He was there less than two weeks and had to return to Mexico. They are now planning and saving for her and Alison to join him in May. I am sure they, with the Lord's help, will be successful!

I have never been so happy for a non-family member in my life!
Old 04-07-2013, 04:55 AM   #58
dwj - Donnie OP
Beastly Adventurer

We had a very nice visit. Had dinner at Pizza Hut, Johana and Alison's choice. And then I was on my way. BTW, the only reason I returned to El Salvador was to visit Johana and Alison.

Old 04-07-2013, 04:58 AM   #59
dwj - Donnie OP
Beastly Adventurer

I would tell you where this is, but I don't remember!

This is Lake Nicaragua.

I guess I went all the way through Honduras without a photo. It only took about two hours with the route I used. I will take the long way through when I return.
Old 04-07-2013, 04:59 AM   #60
dwj - Donnie OP
Beastly Adventurer