Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2013, 02:12 PM   #166
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,409
Except for 1 thing. A narrow band sensor drops out of the loop as far as the ECU is concerned when exhaust gases go beyond what it can read. It either gives a signal the exhaust is a short distance from 14.7 or its signal is disregarded.

Correct me if I am wrong, a wide band sensor is reading exhaust afr's over a wider scope and still sends a signal to the ECU. Its data is included in whatever the ECU reads. I assume that data is included to determine how long to hold the injectors open.

itsatdm screwed with this post 04-03-2013 at 02:44 PM
itsatdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 03:01 PM   #167
Bayner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,457
I'm not sure that they are capable of detecting in a wider range per se, but they do report how much the A/F ratio is off by- using variable rates/direction of current flow as opposed to just reporting a single voltage. It allows for quicker changes as well.
The data is used to correct base fuel mapping in a positive or negative trim as required.
Bayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:31 PM   #168
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsatdm View Post
Are you sure of that? Both the LC1 and PW use a wide band oxygen sensor. Even though the afr may be different than stock, my understanding of closed loop means the oxygen sensor is in play. With a band width 5 times larger, I would expect the bike to be in closed loop more often.

The LC1 changes the actual electronic signal to the ECU from the oxygen sensor to one that results in different map signal to the injectors. The PC changes the injector signal without any changing of the oxygen sensor signal. It is an add on you dial it in.

The PC can change the signal in open loop. the LC1 relys on the ECU to adapt its own mapping in open loop based on what experience it has in closed loop.

That last statement raises a question in my mind regarding Ethanol. If an oxygen sensor can enrichen the mixture to offset the leaness caused by Ethanol and the ECU can adapt in open mode, why is it an issue?
No... I am really not.... But after reading the install manual, that was the impression I got. Perhaps I should keep my mouf shot, as I don't have any real experience with other than the PC-5. I changed the wording in my prior post, so as not to confuse anyone.

Erling
ebrabaek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:45 PM   #169
MTrider16
Ridin' in MT

Oddometer: 1,448
itsatdm, I can answer you from my experience, but then application into the auto/bike world will be extrapolation.

In our industrial natural gas engines the wide band sensor operates over a very wide range and give a good stable signal. The narrow band are inexpensive but have a very narrow range, in fact it is slightly off if you use natural gas as fuel.

For a catalyst where emissions are very important you have to have a very specific mix of O2, NOx, CO, HC to have the catalyst reduce all the pollutants. When our fuel mixture changes and we get more ethanes, butanes, and propanes mixed with the methane it changes when the mixture burns. Most of these extras make the mixture burn faster and the piston is closer to TDC when the peak firing pressure hits. The combustion is hotter and more NOx is produced and less CO and HC. The window that the catalyst works at is verry narrow, like .955 to .957 AFR (or some number like that) And this difference in the combustion products is enough to make a marginal catalyst quit working.

So, the first difference here, is we have removed the catalyst, so we don't have to be that precise with our AFR. Now we are wondering how far the ethanol changes the mixture and its rate of burn speed. In the end our ECU can compensate some for the fuel and makes sure we have the same amount of O2 in our exhaust, but it cannot compensate for the combustion speed. This might slightly throw our engine off of best power, or best economy. How much, I don't know. My guess would be that the ethanol will slow the burn speed. Timing could be used to compensate, also a leaner mixture would burn faster (provided you are not already at stoichiometric). In the end I don't think ethanol will throw you off too far, unless you are already at the ragged edge.

David
Mountains, Moose, and Miles: a Montanan's Alcan Highway Story
Continental Divide and More: the "No Dust" Tour of WY and MT
MTrider16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 06:59 AM   #170
MTrider16
Ridin' in MT

Oddometer: 1,448
Wow, the chatter went away!?! Sorry Big E, I didn't mean to kill your thread. Is work getting in the way of more testing?

David
Mountains, Moose, and Miles: a Montanan's Alcan Highway Story
Continental Divide and More: the "No Dust" Tour of WY and MT
MTrider16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 07:40 AM   #171
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTrider16 View Post
Wow, the chatter went away!?! Sorry Big E, I didn't mean to kill your thread. Is work getting in the way of more testing?

David
Hey No worries...... I went on a about 400 mile with an overnight in the San Mateo mountains, NM. Tested two things..... The Tune, as in this thread, and the Rekluse clutch. While I cannot comment on the Rekluse side, I will say that the fueling is absolutely fantastic. Videos uploading at this moment. But I still got 45 mpg clawing myself up a mountain in first and second. When playing around with the AT function ( on/off) I can feel that the moment I switch it on ( having it off to compare to the stock map) The bike begins to accelerate instantly..... mpg gers up 3-5 mpg...... And I have to throttle back to maintain the speed. Quite the thing. I will in the next few days have a look at the software, and perhaps just experiment with a 13.6-13.8 AFR, but that would merely just be to have fun at it. Correct fueled, and Rekluse....... It's silly. Have a look.....

">

Erling
Old 04-26-2013, 02:58 AM   #172
Gaspare
Almost dirt rider

Oddometer: 61
Ebrabaek, pls look @ http://f800riders.org/forum/showthre...na-F800/page20 , post #978 for a different reading... IAT modification, K&N filter, open muffler.

The owner declares this dyno bench is miserly (don't think so), anyway your slip + power loss due to tires is more than 13%...

BTW: I've carried out reliable chrono tests in 4th gear, and I do confirm about performance of Akrapovic silencer...
The throttle reply apparenly shows best low-down torque with OEM muffler... clear with the majority of open aftermarket - so, I followed the suggestion of a BMW tech commissioner buying Akra (with Akra Db killer - not the BMW limiting one).
Once again, seemed the best snap with OEM, but not that clearly because of smooth reply... well: let's tests!
Same-same performance low down and sure-evident increase over 5000 rmp or lower with WOT.
Notice the RAM effect is a lot better without catalyzer... then, I temporary modified the IAT to understand the best amount of fuel to add to the map. So, work still in progress
Pity who's going to rewrite onto my ECU is working away for a couple of months... anyway it's OK. Then I'll ask for dyno-complainings with Karoo 3 I've planned to put onto the bike...

PS - wonderful!! Just red about the issue about Karoo 3...

Gaspare screwed with this post 04-26-2013 at 06:31 AM
Gaspare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 07:15 AM   #173
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaspare View Post
Ebrabaek, pls look @ http://f800riders.org/forum/showthre...na-F800/page20 , post #978 for a different reading... IAT modification, K&N filter, open muffler.

The owner declares this dyno bench is miserly (don't think so), anyway your slip + power loss due to tires is more than 13%...

BTW: I've carried out reliable chrono tests in 4th gear, and I do confirm about performance of Akrapovic silencer...
The throttle reply apparenly shows best low-down torque with OEM muffler... clear with the majority of open aftermarket - so, I followed the suggestion of a BMW tech commissioner buying Akra (with Akra Db killer - not the BMW limiting one).
Once again, seemed the best snap with OEM, but not that clearly because of smooth reply... well: let's tests!
Same-same performance low down and sure-evident increase over 5000 rmp or lower with WOT.
Notice the RAM effect is a lot better without catalyzer... then, I temporary modified the IAT to understand the best amount of fuel to add to the map. So, work still in progress
Pity who's going to rewrite onto my ECU is working away for a couple of months... anyway it's OK. Then I'll ask for dyno-complainings with Karoo 3 I've planned to put onto the bike...

PS - wonderful!! Just red about the issue about Karoo 3...
I will have a look in a few days. I am on the road, and will not be back til sunday.

Erling
Old 04-30-2013, 03:12 PM   #174
akmnstr
Mckenzie River Huskies

Oddometer: 235
I've been running the Power Commander V with autotune for several months now and it has resulted in a great improvement. I was updating my map today and checked the settings and noticed that there are not separate maps for each gear position. I tried to update the gear position sensor but no luck. The software reads the same voltage for each gear so it cannot discriminate between them. I'll call dynojet on this but, has anyone been able to program the autotune to detect gear position and map each gear? Thanks!!
akmnstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 05:05 PM   #175
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by akmnstr View Post
I've been running the Power Commander V with autotune for several months now and it has resulted in a great improvement. I was updating my map today and checked the settings and noticed that there are not separate maps for each gear position. I tried to update the gear position sensor but no luck. The software reads the same voltage for each gear so it cannot discriminate between them. I'll call dynojet on this but, has anyone been able to program the autotune to detect gear position and map each gear? Thanks!!
I asked my tuner about the gear, and he said in this app, there would be minimum gain, as a enduro bike. What I am trying to get to work though is the engine temp feed from the ecu, as the stock ecu is fighting the AT in the warm up phase, as the throttle is over 2%, and AT active. I will keep you posted.

Erling
Old 05-10-2013, 07:26 AM   #176
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Did 657 miles in three days in the NM Gila, and Cibolla NF. It is simply amazing how precise the low rpm fueling is. All I can say is wow. You can put-put in first, with your hand off the throttle....or in second if you wish. When you then open the throttle, there is no hop. Great low rpm/speed control. Gas mileage, for sure is a bit better. The first 167 dirt miles, as seen in this video, yielded an average speed of 29 mph, and a economy of 65 mpg....as you see in this video. Simply fantastic. Part two is uploading at this moment.....
">

Erling
Old 05-10-2013, 11:01 AM   #177
Bumbobee
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
I didn't read this thread much but here are my 2 cents regarding auto tuners.

I am coming from riding a Harley V-Rod for almost 5 years with a full auto tune system and various exhausts.

It doesn't work properly and it's not worth the money. Buy a regular tuner and get a good dyno.

I'd never make the same mistake again. If you want proof head over to www.1130cc.com/forums and read some of the horror stories.
Bumbobee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 11:17 AM   #178
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumbobee View Post
I didn't read this thread much but here are my 2 cents regarding auto tuners.

I am coming from riding a Harley V-Rod for almost 5 years with a full auto tune system and various exhausts.

It doesn't work properly and it's not worth the money. Buy a regular tuner and get a good dyno.

I'd never make the same mistake again. If you want proof head over to www.1130cc.com/forums and read some of the horror stories.
Your two cents are fine.....but lets not make this about weather it works on a harley......but how it works on the F800gs.

Erling
Old 05-10-2013, 01:10 PM   #179
Bumbobee
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrabaek View Post
Your two cents are fine.....but lets not make this about weather it works on a harley......but how it works on the F800gs.
That is true. After making my post I remembered that air cooled Harley's worked amazing with the auto tune systems as that is where the big market is, maybe it's the same with BMW.
Bumbobee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 01:29 PM   #180
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumbobee View Post
That is true. After making my post I remembered that air cooled Harley's worked amazing with the auto tune systems as that is where the big market is, maybe it's the same with BMW.
That could be. I dont. Have muxh experience outside the 8gs...... but it sure workes on the 8gs....and very well indeed. That is the only app I can speak of myself.

Erling