ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2013, 07:59 AM   #1
Joe? OP

Oddometer: 673
Boston to Nashville via WV- Advice

Riding from Boston to Tennessee over 2 days next week and looking for some help with the route. Plan is to slab it Day 1 as far as I can leaving time on Day 2 for some back roads and early arrival in Nashville, hopefully before dinner. How's Charleston WV to spend a night?

View Larger Map

2 days for the ride back as well, thinking Monongahela National Forest but open to suggestions.
Joe? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 08:55 AM   #2
Pomo
gonzo

Oddometer: 608
If you're pressed for time there's not a lot you can do and enjoy it. Trying to squeeze out 750 miles of twisties through WV would mean you're still on the bike at midnight trying to make your destination.

That said, most of the very best roads in the Mon NF are east-west crossing over the ridges. It's hard to go wrong in that area, though. US219, US33, WV92, WV 28, VA311 are all great north/south roads. US220 is a little more direct but largely stays in the valley rather than weaving through the mountains like the others do. It would be easy enough to spend a week in the Appalachian mountains of WV and VA and still not hit everything. Hell I lived there for almost 20 years and every time I look at a map I see a new road I've never known about!

Charleston is fine. It's the capitol of WV so it's a "big" city and you should have no trouble finding accommodations.

"It's supposed to be a challenge, that's why they call it a shortcut. If it was easy it would just be the way." ~ Rubin, Road Trip

Pomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:57 AM   #3
wvrocks
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 576
Your map shows you very effectively missing all the good riding in WV.
Well done!
Old 04-05-2013, 12:03 PM   #4
Joe? OP

Oddometer: 673
On my way to TN I'll only have time for proper riding in KY and TN, on my way home I'll beat feet from TN to WV and then spend day 2 slabbing back to Boston.

Any places not to miss in Nashville? I'll be thirsty from all that riding
Joe? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 07:03 AM   #5
patmo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 580
Nashville...just head down to Broadway and the area west of the stadium, or hit the area around Vanderbilt. If you can't find a place there to quench you thirst you must be deaf, dumb, blind, and go by the name of Tommy.

I must say...your plan to reach Nashville from Charleston, via the route you have chosen, and reach it by an early hour, is very very optimistic. You are not going to be able to maintain much speed doing those back roads and going through the small towns along the way. However, using the parkway across the southern side of Kentucky will increase your average, because it is just like an expressway...4 lane divided highway....but with light traffic.
patmo is offline   Reply With Quote