Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2013, 02:35 PM   #61
MANXMAN
Overlander

Oddometer: 1,550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco Dean View Post
All done. Going for a ride. Should be fun.

Manxman how are you doing!!!!
MANXMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 03:15 PM   #62
tvbh40a
PSUViking

Oddometer: 1,391
awesome

Can't wait...
tvbh40a is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 03:18 PM   #63
Disco Dean OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,181
Quote:
Originally Posted by MANXMAN View Post
I actually feel bad.... really.

Well, I do feel bad but I can at least feel badly while I am riding!!!!

Sorry for that. I have been on the edge of my seat all week.... post office.... home... post office....

Good luck. I feel for you!

As your attorney, I advise you to buy a motorcycle. How else can we cover a thing like this righteously?
Disco Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 03:23 PM   #64
Quirky
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 517
Looking at those pics (and not the one of manxman deflated and really jealous ) it just may be angle of the shot, but the front of the fender is looking closer to the tyre than the rear. Just to explain some extra details-

That was how proto-type III (i think it was) fitted on my bike anyways. Well Mark at Ralle-Moto decided to place a spacer (2 washers) on top of the fender at the rear bolts. The thinking behind this was to have the gap slightly closer at the rear and open the gap at the front, avoiding sticky crap packing in. The closer gap may bump, cut or knife down an amount of sticky shite. Makes sense to me.

So right now I'm not sure if Ralle-Moto fitted the spacers to the finished product on my bike or whether they adjusted the program on the mill.

Them wheels look lovely in black.
IMHO that front tyre works best everywhere with 35psi. At 30psi small rocks can hit hard and while it hangs on in the twisties it moves around a little.

Cheers,

Quirky

PS- Have a great ride on Sunday
Old 04-05-2013, 03:42 PM   #65
Disco Dean OP
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks Quirky for the advice - I noticed the difference in fender but you have a good suggestion...

And, thanks for the notes on the tire pressure - that is where I am starting with the front so I will note that and go from there.

And.... will do have a good ride. Any ride you come home from is a good ride!

Cheers,

D

As your attorney, I advise you to buy a motorcycle. How else can we cover a thing like this righteously?
Old 04-06-2013, 07:28 AM   #66
MANXMAN
Overlander

Oddometer: 1,550
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvbh40a View Post
Is that $3593. + the Ralle Moto?
To be fair, if someone wanted just a Woody's 21" front wheel and the Ralle-Moto clamp it would run about $1700.00

The extra rear wheel is a luxury that both Disco and I have but not really needed.

I won't count the cost of the tires as you have to buy tires regardless of what size of wheels you are running. Also a dealer isn't needed to do the clamp install. The only thing that is a bit tricky is dealing with the 46mm ball joint nut. Other than that it's straight forward.
MANXMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 07:46 AM   #67
Britome
Get Free

Oddometer: 1,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by MANXMAN View Post
To be fair, if someone wanted just a Woody's 21" front wheel and the Ralle-Moto clamp it would run about $1700.00

The extra rear wheel is a luxury that both Disco and I have but not really needed.

I won't count the cost of the tires as you have to buy tires regardless of what size of wheels you are running. Also a dealer isn't needed to do the clamp install. The only thing that is a bit tricky is dealing with the 46mm ball joint nut. Other than that it's straight forward.
Don't you need longer fork tubes to account for the higher wheel? The clamp fits into the stock tubes?
Britome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 11:03 AM   #68
Disco Dean OP
Beastly Adventurer

+1 manxman. You don't need to go all out to have the gains of the 21.

And after riding with the triple lamp I'd suggest any GS owner to get one. It helps that much.

No you don't need longer forks. The suspension travel stats the same. What you do is raise up all the mounting an hardware bits enough to give more clearance for the tire and muck. It clamps the tubes in the same spot and the ball joint geometry looks to not change. Just the spacing.

Did some dirt dirt trials today up and down and around some local construction. Very big a good change with the TKC's and the 21. Tomorrow is the real test. First set of TKC's and they are really nice - even on the road.

Old 04-06-2013, 11:48 AM   #69
Britome
Get Free

I'm almost sold on this but I need more descriptions of actual performance. Is it better in ruts, hills, mud, etc? How and why? I'm prone to do expensive upgrades just because it is fun wrenching. I'm trying to end that and do that which is functionally noticeable. I'm waiting with baited breath...
Old 04-06-2013, 05:49 PM   #70
Quirky
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britome View Post
I'm almost sold on this but I need more descriptions of actual performance. Is it better in ruts, hills, mud, etc? How and why? I'm prone to do expensive upgrades just because it is fun wrenching. I'm trying to end that and do that which is functionally noticeable. I'm waiting with baited breath...
I'll attach some threads on the whole subject.
IMO if you use your bike for 50/50 road/offroad, and if your dirt road riding is on a serviced road that 2wd cars can travel, just don't bother. No benefits worth while. For this I believe the standard setup is best. On dirt roads in good nick the bike feels better on the original wheels.

But If you end up on 4wd type twin track often that gets rough, loose, tight and slippery. This is when the larger front wheel is tops. Larger diameter rolls over obstacles and all surfaces easier. Narrower tyres grip slippery off-road surfaces better. The handlebar's require less muscle These wheels are tougher and easier to repair. The setup saves weight (unsprung weight) which = WOW!
Raising the front of the GS 5/8" with the 21" wheel you in theory are increasing trail/rake which can help stabilize control in loose stuff. (I run 18" on the rear and 1" higher at the rear.)
Downside is the bike looses an amount of tarmac cornering manners which f#%ks with my confidence. A Dunlop 908rr on the front has a bit to do with it as well.

I ended up with this setup because of a $500 repair for a dinged cast wheel. (when I first got my bike, I didn't imagine going bush with it) BMW wheels were going to cost lots more. So why not? I love riding this big over sized, overpowered pig through the bush.
-So first I done the wheels.
-Then fark this front 21" is light and twitchy on tar, so got the
Ralle-Moto steering damper.
-Suspension was now too soft for my new off-road abilities so on with
WESA, just a note that I should have got this much sooner & is gr8.
- Flipping mud and spray everywhere from running no fender on the front.
Ralle-Moto to the rescue with triple clamp.

The Ralle-Moto triple clamp firms up the front end. Less twisting and deflection with tons more feedback. Damn sure it's worth having with or without the 21" wheel.

Ralle-Moto triple clamp project
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=853064
Woody's 21" vs 19" OEM
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=663107
R1200GS with 21" front wheel
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=495376
Ralle-Moto steering damper
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=763169
Woody's Wheels Pic's & story
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=288592

That'll keep ya busy for a couple of hours and hope it helps.
What have I missed?

Cheers,

Quirky

Quirky screwed with this post 04-06-2013 at 06:02 PM
Quirky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 04:19 AM   #71
Britome
Get Free

Thank so much. Exactly what I was looking for. What is WESA?
Old 04-07-2013, 01:04 PM   #72
Disco Dean OP
Beastly Adventurer

Agree with all of the above... My ride today was pretty tame for off road. But here is the run down.

Loose soft new gravel
Hard pack old gravel dirt road
Rough seasonal access road
Pavement
Soft moist dirt construction - slow speed
Rutted Dry hard mud sections
30 foot dirt pile and sharp 6 foot drops (steep enough for me to drag the bash plate over)

Qualifier/disclaimer: I have not been in any soft sand or major rocky terrain or deep mud. I have only spent two days riding the thing with this setup. I have never used the TKC's before so that might be tempering my judgement.

Report: The 21 inch shows little or no change on pavement - it is a bit slower but the losses in turn-in compared to the gains in dirt is no comparison. I was much more confident in the loose gravel and had fun roosting it up and sliding around - the front felt planted and did not feel like nosing in/plowing like the 19 did. Much more stable in faster loose gravel and transitions from side to side of road. In the soft stuff - trials like riding slow speed standing up the results are even more impressive. Rolling over the deep ruts and in and out of them was no problem.

Ralle-moto triple clamp.... without a doubt the biggest and most noticeable change up front and highly recommended. Very stable with both the 19 and 21. Makes all the difference in the world. One of my buddies questioned the fact the increased stiffness might take away some feel but I suggest the opposite is true.

TKC's: Gotta say my first pair and even with the narrow 90/90 front and 140 rear!!! They are incredible for what they are and even I dare say more confidence inspiring than the Heidenau's on pavement! - However I have not been in rain on them yet. They seem actually quieter and less vibration than the Scouts too - which is not tough. I will be putting my 19 inch set of wheels back on for a trip to WV soon so will be able to make a comparison.

Overal: Lots of money for sure - and you can do it for less and get the same gains with more inconvenience and less cool factor, by just adding the front 21 inch rim and switching your hardware over with no fender but... - the Woodys superlites are gorgeous and the whole set up is bling in the extreme but super tough and strong. The TKC's work very well and the Rallemoto triple clamp next to shocks is the best upgrade I have ever made.

If you have the money and feel like spending it, then this extra set of wheels is well worth it. It actually makes me feel like I have another bike or much broader options sitting in the garage taking up the space of only one bike.

My advice: Go for it.

Manxman - gotta get on the dirt my friend!!! Good luck. We had a nice long country ride today and it ended up 18c which in comparison to the snow we had two days ago is pretty awesome. Good luck.

Old 04-07-2013, 03:33 PM   #73
Quirky
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Thank so much. Exactly what I was looking for. What is WESA?
Apologies for the abbreviation.
WESA = Wilbers suspension with BMW's ESA (electronic suspension adjustment)

Hey Disco!
Sounds like it's all a good thing. Good on ya!
Old 04-08-2013, 08:29 AM   #74
Britome
Get Free

So I can keep my 19" and have a more stable ride with more clearance for mud under the fender. Anything I'm missing?
Old 04-08-2013, 08:45 AM   #75
Disco Dean OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
So I can keep my 19" and have a more stable ride with more clearance for mud under the fender. Anything I'm missing?