ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2013, 10:40 AM   #16951
Ravyn
nubblies need to die!

Oddometer: 643
The minimum driving age in NYS is 16.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick2ny View Post
Question: How old does a NYC resident have to be to get a motorcycle learners permit? A motorcycle license?
Aprilia Tuono, Aprilia Futura, BMW S1000RR, BMW K1200R, BMW K1200S, BMW R1100S, BMW R1100RS, BMW R1100GS, Ducati Multistrada 1200s, Ducati MTS 1000, Ducati M900s, Honda CBR600RR, Honda RC51, Honda VFR, Husqvarna SM610, KTM 990 Super Duke, KTM 950 ADV, KTM 450 EXC, Moto Guzzi Griso 8V Tenni, Triumph 1050 Speed Triple, Triumph Speed Triple 955, Yamaha WR250X
Ravyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 06:01 PM   #16952
Speedo66
Transient

Oddometer: 6,611
Except in NYC, and Nassau (not sure about Suffolk), where it's 18. You can get the permit at 16, but it's no good to drive in the city and Nassau Co.

Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 06:32 PM   #16953
devo2002
-Devo

Oddometer: 3,812
It was permit at 16, license at 17 with safety course, 18 without for me in 2001. (Suffolk, but I thought it was a state thing)
Old 04-05-2013, 09:19 PM   #16954
bobbyp
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedo66 View Post
Except in NYC, and Nassau (not sure about Suffolk), where it's 18. You can get the permit at 16, but it's no good to drive in the city and Nassau Co.
16 and 17 year olds aren't allowed to drive or even practice with a learner's permit in the 5 boroughs unless they are under the supervision of a certified driving school - driving with parents doesn't cut it.
bobbyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 11:53 PM   #16955
flyinscotsman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
I purchased a bike from them - they will make it super easy - only tax in state you live in
flyinscotsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 08:10 AM   #16956
rpet
Awesometown

Oddometer: 809
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpet View Post
Anyone have a good upholstery shop recommendation for air stapling a new foam and cover onto my DR seat pan? Would like a no-BS, affordable spot that is familiar with motos.

I don't have air tools or access to a stapler and would rather a semi-fessional do it for me for $20.

Preferably Brooklyn or southern QNS

tanks gents
This guy did an excellent job stapling on my seat cover. He disparaged the quality of the cover though, and said he could do better.
He DID charge $50, which imho is steep, but the service was great, and $50 is cheaper than buying an air stapler and compressor and doing my own hack job.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/sukhai-furni...ng-island-city
Read my homie's underway Africa trip RR - Round Africa with a Surboard
WTB: Clarke tank for DR650 for cheap - any color but blue.
rpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 01:42 PM   #16957
apriliacati
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick2ny View Post

Does anyone here (besides Thomas ) have a ratty bike that my best friend's two son and daughter could use to learn to ride before we go to American Supercamp next weekend? I talked him into getting them this class for a Christmas present (his daughter loves motorcycles but hasn't had the chance to ride one yet), but they don't know basic clutch control skills and the class is fast approaching!

They're really sweet kids, 12 and 15 years old, the smallest one is 5'2" and 95 pounds. They're both great athletes (Stuyvessant wrestling team, then some other school track, basketball, etc.) and are respectful. They've ridden mopeds and mountain bikes, so the main goal here is to get them used to using a clutch and the basic control layout of a motorcycle.

We're just looking for something small (like an xr100) to use at floyd bennett field for an afternoon.

Also, I know it's a hassle, so there would be some definite monetary compensation. Something like $100 (or more if necessary), some beer, plus any repairs. Plust my eternal gratitude. This would be so helpful.

I'm really hoping this works, this is our last weekend!

Please PM me for more details--we can speak on the phone about it if you like.

Thanks so much.
FYI,

You do realize if a cop catches you riding an unregistered bike at Floyd Bennet field, they will impound it.
apriliacati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 02:08 PM   #16958
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer: 7,617
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas.tc.young View Post
woke up to a call that someone hit my bike this morning.

hearsay says he was making a left onto my street, tried to take the outside line to go around a truck, clipped me. i got really lucky because there is a traffic enforcement lady stationed on my corner (ok well not lucky, traffic enforcement is a joke but it worked out here) and he had to pick up someone from my building.

word onthe street was that he tried to get the kid he was picking up into his car and GTFO.

only damage is a turn signal so i got 30 bucks and now i'm here. forks, wheel, tree and frame look good/straight minus preexisting conditions.

just a friendly reminder to remember where you park you FF's
Once the guy is caught trying to take off without accepting responsibility all bets are off and I threaten to call the police and get his insurance company involved and then I would get him for every scratch.

If it's an apologetic person and there is no damage then I say no worries or ask for cash for whatever little things are busted like a mirror or turn signal.

I HATE people who cannot take responsibility for their own actions and try to squirm out of things.
HaChayalBoded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 05:41 PM   #16959
DavidBanner
Banned

Oddometer: 1,163
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaChayalBoded View Post
Once the guy is caught trying to take off without accepting responsibility all bets are off and I threaten to call the police and get his insurance company involved and then I would get him for every scratch.

If it's an apologetic person and there is no damage then I say no worries or ask for cash for whatever little things are busted like a mirror or turn signal.

I HATE people who cannot take responsibility for their own actions and try to squirm out of things.
and you live in NYC?
DavidBanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 10:22 AM   #16960
robfilms
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 375
after this morning's ride up and back into westchester county, i decided the kawa needed a wee bit of spring cleaning.

put together a spray bottle of water and white vinegar.

what a grease cutter!

cleaned the chassis, engine block, body panels, suspension, rims.

the kawa looks fantastic.

a clean bike is often a happy bike.

ymmv

be well.

rob
robfilms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 02:30 AM   #16961
Jiro
Watch Out for Squirrel!

Oddometer: 639
for those who work in the close proximity of Grand Central Station... where do you park???
Old 04-08-2013, 04:33 AM   #16962
TengaiJohn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiro View Post
for those who work in the close proximity of Grand Central Station... where do you park???
New job?
TengaiJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 06:30 AM   #16963
nick2ny
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 545
Quote:
Stamford!
Old 04-08-2013, 06:40 AM   #16964
wiseblood
Hall Monitor

Oddometer: 12,431
Quote:

Nearest *legal* street parking is at Tudor City:

View Larger Map

Big Apple Tag-o-Rama Maps: Click Here!
wiseblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:38 AM   #16965
rider257
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
I park on 36th between 1st and 2nd almost daily. Mon-Thurs 10 to 11:30 is alt side parking though. But I pull my plate those days no issues even though traffic cops are all over that corner
rider257 is offline   Reply With Quote