ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2012, 10:32 AM   #181
Unkgd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 343
Better performance??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nut Clutch View Post
SNIP....I have had a FMF Q4 with the adv 2 into 1 and also the Roxx. Big difference between the two.
Could you expand on the differences as far as performance?
Unkgd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 11:20 AM   #182
ian408
Oh?

Oddometer: 14,246
Quote:
Not the material that makes the difference. The collector on the 2 into 1 on the Roxx merges to a much larger smoother diameter. Look earlier in this thread. I posted photos and measurements. I have had a FMF Q4 with the adv 2 into 1 and also the Roxx. Big difference between the two.
Read the post I quoted.
ian408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 05:44 PM   #183
hvman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
popping update

reinstalled 2 into 1 roxx pipe with high temp silicone gasket sealant: no better, no change, dang it!
hvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 10:02 AM   #184
RLCanon
Adventure Arrrrr!

Oddometer: 368
I have the SAS plates/cannisterectomy done and recently installed the Roxx system with no sealant etc. I'm even using generic throttle return springs in place of the exhaust springs that weren't included when I ordered the system. Sounds great (wind it to red line and it absolutely wails, absolutely no decel popping).

I had a carbon Remus with an adv 2-1 previously. The rivets holding together the intake side chewed into the carbon can enough that l had to epoxy it back together before a 3 state trip last fall, which worked well. I had several issues sealing that system, both were the can bolts to the 2-1 and where the 2-1 fits onto the header pipes. The Roxx appears tight as a frogs sphincter first time on.

I personally don't think the adv 2-1 construction affects anything significantly, but there is no doubt that the fabrication of the Roxx 2-1, really the whole system, is much more precise and the design seals better than what I had on there before.
What can I say? Life has been everything to me. Was it good or bad? It was just life, everything was in it. I suppose my advice for the living might just be: Live! And when it is time to die, die! - Ozymandias

We're all contributing factors to our own demise... - Lovin' it Strom
RLCanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 11:07 AM   #185
Nut Clutch
was Steve Lavigne

Oddometer: 429
Took out the restrictor / spark arrestor and rode to work with the Roxx. The top end ROXX!
Old 06-21-2012, 11:22 AM   #186
RLCanon
Adventure Arrrrr!

Oddometer: 368
Quote:
Took out the restrictor / spark arrestor and rode to work with the Roxx. The top end ROXX!
How much louder is it on a scale from "Not much" to "Holy shit!"
What can I say? Life has been everything to me. Was it good or bad? It was just life, everything was in it. I suppose my advice for the living might just be: Live! And when it is time to die, die! - Ozymandias

We're all contributing factors to our own demise... - Lovin' it Strom
RLCanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 12:37 PM   #187
Katoom72
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 830
i bet it's: Holy shit that crap is loud as fuck! (and i toned it down profanity wise)
Katoom72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 12:40 PM   #188
JGE
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Without the insert the ROXX is definitely not quiet but still sounds great. I haven't ridden mine with the insert yet so will have to try it out one day to hear what it is like.
JGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 03:57 PM   #189
Nut Clutch
was Steve Lavigne

Oddometer: 429
Without the insert it is quite loud, but not stupid loud. It is a very sweet sound. Has a real strong top end to it. It breathes so free that there is a bit a of a stumble with a large quick throttle opening off idle with no secondary throttle butterflies installed.

It is a little too reasonable with the Euro compliant restrictor / spark arrestor. Just the right thing for a moto trip though. I'm trying to get a friend of mine to make a less restrictive spark arrestor. The top end performance suffers a bit with the restrictor, but there is no stumble off idle.
Old 04-06-2013, 10:38 AM   #190
Masa
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 297
Old thread, but informative enough to resurrect.

When you buy a 2 into 1 pipe, check inside how it looks. I got this from Adventure Spec, but had to send it back. Very small opening inside and the end of the pipe coming from the rear cylinder had been hammered partially flat to make it easier to weld on the other half.

Next I ordered pipe from our Polish friends, 21Brothers. It is rough on outside - and inside, but openings are somewhat ok-ish.. It doesn't fit very well, but good enough for now.

Bike runs fine, a bit louder and rougher sound, but it sounds good on a forest leg I have a Wings can with the small insert, not sure if that is too restrictive.
Masa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 11:46 AM   #191
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,560
I originally had the AdvTank 2:1. It was better than your AdventureSpec one but there was still a pronounced restriction where the rear cylinder joined (i.e the opening wasn't large enough). The AdvTank also had poor fitment, a known issue that I believe still has not been fixed, see: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...28&postcount=9

I got a CJ Designs 2:1, fit was perfect (since it's based on an OEM header). There was a little bit of cruft (similar to your Polish one) that I removed with a dremel extension.

I'd recommend the CJ one.
crazybrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 12:26 PM   #192
Masa
Gnarly Adventurer

I'm not sure if the AdventureSpec's pipe is the same as ADVTank, but they use same pics and info for marketing. After I got the pipe, did some digging and found some of your posts mentioning that people haven't been happy with their ADVTank pipes. So I figured it's the same scheisse.

I knew about CJ, but was trying to find something I didn't have to pay customs.

I could've made my own from the stock collector (still might), but it's worth of 300 euros and might want to use it some day.
Old 04-06-2013, 12:32 PM   #193
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masa View Post
I could've made my own from the stock collector (still might), but it's worth of 300 euros and might want to use it some day.
Hmmn I would not have thought they were that expensive but you're right, $340. I guess the prevailing used price is $225 as that's what CJ charges for core. I just paid the core and kept my original, like you, I figure I might need it someday (go back to 2:2).
Old 04-06-2013, 01:23 PM   #194
Masa
Gnarly Adventurer

Yeah, an expensive piece of art. Should clean from the inside to see how it looks there.

I was actually surprised to read that you felt the need to clean after CJ's work.

It's one thing to do your own, it might look like a porcupine with all the MIG wires sticking out and you'd be happy with your work, but to buy one that was advertised to be a piece of art that it certainly isn't, is an other.
Old 04-06-2013, 02:31 PM   #195
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masa View Post
I was actually surprised to read that you felt the need to clean after CJ's work.
There was a little bit of beading but (looking at your pics again) it was much better than your second Polish one. I'm sure it would have been fine as is, but since I have a dremel extension it was easy to take 10 mins and clean it up.