Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2013, 12:53 PM   #226
Celtic Curmudgeon
Indiana Jones wanabe

Oddometer: 274
Thanks, Croak, that puts it in perspective. I was in ROTC and the reserve, have been an avid shooter, etc. so the metric stuff we used there I have no problem with...kilometers to miles, mms to inches, but other than knowing there's 3.8 liters in a gallon, volume measures are confusing for me, and like your reference to temperature... I know from physics that 0 C is 32F, and 100c is 212F, but in between, those, I get lost!

Cheers
Old 04-06-2013, 02:06 PM   #227
Croak
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 529
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celtic Curmudgeon View Post
Thanks, Croak, that puts it in perspective. I was in ROTC and the reserve, have been an avid shooter, etc. so the metric stuff we used there I have no problem with...kilometers to miles, mms to inches, but other than knowing there's 3.8 liters in a gallon, volume measures are confusing for me, and like your reference to temperature... I know from physics that 0 C is 32F, and 100c is 212F, but in between, those, I get lost!

Cheers
Just a matter of getting your frame of reference, and metric is a hell of a lot easier to learn in the first place, and easier to work with once you've learned it.

Oh, for converting Celsius to Fahrenheit, the quick and dirty method is to double it and add 30, which is not super accurate and doesn't work well below freezing, but gets you in the ballpark when talking about typical weather. 20C *2+30=70F. 10C*2+30=50F.
Croak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 01:24 PM   #228
Croak
Studly Adventurer

Yet another Tor Sagen video on the Capo 1200.

Some footage from previous videos, but a fair amount of new stuff, including more of his thoughts on actually riding the bike.

Old 04-08-2013, 01:32 PM   #229
Croak
Studly Adventurer

And here's a bit dry and heavily-accented explanation from the Aprilia electronics lead describing ADD in more detail, and how it differs/improves on the Skyhook system:

Old 04-08-2013, 02:36 PM   #230
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,414
Quote:
Originally Posted by Croak View Post
And here's a bit dry and heavily-accented explanation from the Aprilia electronics lead describing ADD in more detail, and how it differs/improves on the Skyhook system:

This guy sounds a bit pissed off with Ducati.
So does Tor on the video above.

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 02:58 PM   #231
jimmex
Rider

Oddometer: 2,235
It is painful watching that Tor guy try to ride a bike.
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 01:49 PM   #232
MLCavassa
What the..??!!

Oddometer: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmex View Post
It is painful watching that Tor guy try to ride a bike.
I was thinking the exactly the same thing. He's, well, kinda sloppy. But then again, he is following another bike whose rider seems to be having his own set of issues - not the least of which is maintaining a constant speed.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:30 AM   #233
Jltrd
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulvt1 View Post
Saw it in the metal today. Not impressed. It does look like a parts bin lash up.

The luggage mounts look like Meccano from the 80's.
It's probably going to be awhile before I can see one in person. Could you expand on the "parts bin lash up" comment? Thanks

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
Jltrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 10:36 AM   #234
Pampero
Verbose Adventurer

Oddometer: 560
Quote:
Saw it in the metal today. Not impressed. It does look like a parts bin lash up.

The luggage mounts look like Meccano from the 80's.
The luggage looks very similar to what was fitted to the last generation of Capos.

It works well enough in a rather pedestrian way; not the best design and something they could have improved on (I do think it's virtually the same box, right down to the cut out moldings) but if Givi build doesn't set the world on fire, there's always the option of going to the aftermarket. Something I do like about the luggage is that it is full sized on both sides, an improvement over the Multistrada's exhaust cut outs. No doubt it will be reasonably priced in the package as well. Nobody really beats BMW at this game. From outward appearances they did better with the Stelvio's package, and this one (on the new offering) probably does fit the "parts bin" description.

But if it's a parts bin special, it really makes no difference as long as they are good parts. How many boxers get the same motor? How many Audis use the 2.0TSi? To my way of thinking, the quality of the parts they pulled from the bin will be the key as a practical matter.

A clean sheet design would be great, but this has enough innovation and the packaging looks up to the job. If they managed some manufacturing efficiencies they pass along to the market, well and good. If not, I think your criticism will be perfectly valid.

Pampero screwed with this post 04-11-2013 at 10:41 AM
Pampero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 03:07 PM   #235
Croak
Studly Adventurer

MCN first ride:

Quote:
In short, the Caponord is one of the most impressive bikes I’ve ever ridden in terms of comfort and ride quality. It feels like the rear is on a magic carpet of smoothness.
http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/Ne...rd-first-ride/

As for the parts bin, beyond the panniers it has a new dash, a new suspension, new bodywork, new wheels, new tires, new subframe, new tank, new headlights, new tail lights, new seat, new exhaust, new charging system, new sensor suite, new sprockets, new handlebar and yoke, new windscreen, new electronics, and a new intake mated to a re-worked top end.

About all it shares with the 'Duro is the trellis portion of the frame, bottom end and transmission, and some of the same switchgear shared across the Piaggio line. You'd see about the same degree of commonality between a Tiger 1050 and a Speed Triple, a R1200GS and a R1200R, etc.
Old 04-13-2013, 03:36 AM   #236
Moronic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,498
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celtic Curmudgeon View Post
Sorry for the hijack, but is there an explanation why metric fuel consumption is quoted "liters per 100km"? I'd think that "km per liter" would be easier to relate to and convert to/from MPG. L/100km requires math skills, and I'm a social science major forfecksake...
I can remember finding L/100km hard to get used to but I have come to prefer it. Seems to make it easy to work out how far you can go on a tank.

However, I'm not sure it is universally the metric format. Over in Orange Crush, where the new KTM 1190 is on sale in Europe while the rest of us wait, several helpful early adopters seem to prefer quoting km per litre.

Back to the Caponord: it looks interesting and I like it that they have added electronic cruise. I would love to know more about how they amended the Skyhook damping program. But the auto rear preload looks to me like an expensive and complex answer to a question nobody asked.

Which probably means I am not seeing straight. Probably, a high proportion of potential purchasers would have difficulty understanding where to set rear preload for different loads.

OTOH, for me it is giving the bike control of something I really can control better myself.

And probably, making me pay for that if I want other stuff that comes with the premium package.
Old 04-13-2013, 01:09 PM   #237
jimmex
Rider

Quote:
Just to clear things up - it looks more Kwak Versys 1000 than new GS.

Whatever you think of the BM - it looks like a fully integrated package, from the switchgear to the luggage mounts - and no, i don't own one.

The capo looks like a collection of parts and colours that have met in the dark.

I saw the Triumph Tiger Sport in the metal for the first time. A much better looking machine - and a couple of thousand less too.

Given that Piaggio have a tiny network of dealers over here - and an even worse representation in the US - the new bike is a non starter.
Don't buy one then. "parts bin lash up"
Old 04-13-2013, 04:52 PM   #238
JohnG.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,922
Quote:
Just to clear things up - it looks more Kwak Versys 1000 than new GS.

Whatever you think of the BM - it looks like a fully integrated package, from the switchgear to the luggage mounts - and no, i don't own one.

The capo looks like a collection of parts and colours that have met in the dark.

I saw the Triumph Tiger Sport in the metal for the first time. A much better looking machine - and a couple of thousand less too.

Given that Piaggio have a tiny network of dealers over here - and an even worse representation in the US - the new bike is a non starter.
sit back,will be good buying a few years on...after a few recalls
Old 04-13-2013, 07:38 PM   #239
vivo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
When people say it looks like a parts bin special what does that tell you? Think on this.. a while.

It means this bike does not SEEM genuine. It means it falls short of many enthusiasts expectations. Perceived qualities are more important than Engineeringtalk. We purchase based on how an object makes us FEEL about that object and ourselves.

Truth is very dependent on perceived situation.

The bike needs its own frame. This is a critical error as the frame used is too distinctively related to OTHER bikes. Parts bin is how the bike is perceived and that fault lies with Aprilia.

I am sure its a good machine .

Vivo
vivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 08:27 AM   #240
jimmex
Rider

I don't perceive it that way. I've never laid eyes on a Dorsowhatever so wouldn't know how similar they appear. The bike is full of new interesting technology and looks really cool IMO.