ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts > Land of the Rising Sun: ADV Bikes from Japan
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2013, 05:16 AM   #211
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,977
Quote:
Originally Posted by monoi View Post
Done all that, got the tshirt, bottom line I want to be comfortable. I refuse to believe that in 2013, the technology or know how to make an aerodynamically efficient windscreen doesn't exist. It just smacks of corner cutting, like the exposed wires I read about in the French reports.

Oh well, nothing is perfect. I'll know more (or be more confused!) on the 13th.
Hayabusa has amazing aerodynamics.

How many bikes do you see that look like that?
None? Subjective good looks sell bikes more then aerodynamics, and
manufacturers know that.

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:56 AM   #212
Paulvt1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,540
MCN vid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcTl1_1KFPw
Paulvt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:39 AM   #213
Paulvt1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,540
'nother one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkgw6fwhsPo
Paulvt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:56 AM   #214
jimmex
Guero con moto

Oddometer: 2,551
I hope they sell a zillion of them.
PAPA
SJTR
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 10:05 AM   #215
Pampero
Verbose Adventurer

Oddometer: 602
Finally, some gold anodized fork tubes on the Sachs suspenders!
That does it! I'm in!

(I hope they do well with them too!)
Pampero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 11:27 AM   #216
Croak
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 529
Alan Cathcart has a truncated-by-print-rag first ride review up:

http://www.motorcycletrader.co.nz/Ar...aspx?item=1874

As for how well the windscreen works:

Quote:
I can tell you the Caponord's wind-tunnel-tested screen is fiddly to adjust, requiring you to stop to twiddle the two knobs to raise or lower it, but once lifted, it gives pretty good protection from the elements better than you expect, to be honest, when you look at how it narrows at the top.
Croak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 02:22 AM   #217
JohnG.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,946
Quote:
Originally Posted by Croak View Post
Alan Cathcart has a truncated-by-print-rag first ride review up:

http://www.motorcycletrader.co.nz/Ar...aspx?item=1874

As for how well the windscreen works:
From the article...
"This is due to the Caponord's seat being crucially narrow just behind the 24-litre fuel tank (which doesn't seem anything like that big, but it is). Add in the deep indentations in its flanks letting you tuck your knees in tight, and you feel you're sitting snugly within the Caponord, protected from the elements in a way the taller, wider-seeming Ducati doesn't quite achieve. This in turn makes the Aprilia seem smaller and more flickable — well, it did carving corners along the coastal highways of southern Sardinia before the rain really started to sheet down. Such a pity — I was really enjoying riding the Caponord, whose fine handling and relatively agile chassis entirely lives up to the reputation of the marque for concocting sweet steering motorcycles. I'm sure it'll deliver good high-speed stability and, if I'd been able to exploit what I expect would be the good braking potential of the radial Brembo package, the long wheelbase and lots of trail would make it slow calmly and predictably, too."

Great,But was there any word on fuel usage??
Old 04-05-2013, 02:33 AM   #218
Croak
Studly Adventurer

Testers were seeing anything from 6L/100km to 9L/100km when thrashing it.

Should be a solid 35 miles per US gallon average (much depends on the wrist) and a reasonable expectation of a 200 mile tank range. Those figures are also right in line with their claims it's 20% more fuel efficient than the Dorsoduro was.

That also puts it in the same efficiency and tank range as the Multistrada 1200 or the KTM Adventure 990 and SM-T for that matter. Nothing to write home about, but nothing unusual for a twin of that size either.
Old 04-05-2013, 05:36 AM   #219
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 16,254
I'm starting to think Aprilia should make a 750cc version..
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 07:18 AM   #220
D.T. OP
Up in this MF'er!

Oddometer: 10,683
Yep, something that get 45+ mpg. My only gripe about the big cc bikes. 35 mpg for a bike is just bad.
D.T. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 08:54 PM   #221
Celtic Curmudgeon
Indiana Jones wanabe

Oddometer: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Croak View Post
Testers were seeing anything from 6L/100km to 9L/100km when thrashing it.

Should be a solid 35 miles per US gallon average .
Sorry for the hijack, but is there an explanation why metric fuel consumption is quoted "liters per 100km"? I'd think that "km per liter" would be easier to relate to and convert to/from MPG. L/100km requires math skills, and I'm a social science major forfecksake...
Old 04-06-2013, 01:09 AM   #222
JohnG.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,946
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaY YreKa View Post
I'm starting to think Aprilia should make a 750cc version..
Agreed,ADV wire wheels version...a Tiger 800XC basher
Old 04-06-2013, 01:45 AM   #223
Croak
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celtic Curmudgeon View Post
Sorry for the hijack, but is there an explanation why metric fuel consumption is quoted "liters per 100km"? I'd think that "km per liter" would be easier to relate to and convert to/from MPG. L/100km requires math skills, and I'm a social science major forfecksake...
Just another thing to blame on the French.

But seriously, there's actually three different systems for metric fuel consumption used around the world. The litre per 100km, the kilometres per litre like you suggested, and litres per mil (a mil is 10km).

Keep in mind none of those systems were devised for easy conversion to gallons and miles, if anything it's meant to discourage the use of archaic measurements.

Most of what makes it "hard" for people using US standards is NOT the math though, it's the memorized list of tables and relationships and experiences in your head. You just know that 20MPG is poor for a motorcycle but decent economy for a pickup truck, no math required.

Just like you "know" that 100F is a hot day, and 70F is comfy weather, but probably too cool for a nice bath in the first case, and a shitty beer temperature in the second case. You know that 7 feet is very tall for a dude but a short for a ladder.

Likewise, a metric user just knows that 40C is a fucking hot day and 20C is comfy, and 6L/100km isn't horrible fuel economy for a motorcycle.

Now that I made you suffer through all that, here's the quick formula if you do want to do the math: US MPG = 235/E, where E is the litres consumed per 100km.

So for a 6L/100km bike, it'd be 235/6=39.16 MPG. For a 9L/100km bike, 26.1 MPG, and so on.

It's probably easier (though not accurate) if you just round 235 up to 240 for quicker rough division using those "times tables" we all learned in school. That'd give you 40MPG for the first example above, quickly putting you in the ballpark. That's good enough for the girls I go out with.

Do it often enough, and it just becomes memory. As an American, I had a crash course on metrics in the Marines so I had distances and weights down pretty good, then had full immersion when I moved to Canada years ago and picked up the rest.

EDIT: I have a BS in Sociology myself. :)

Croak screwed with this post 04-06-2013 at 01:56 AM
Old 04-06-2013, 01:53 PM   #224
Celtic Curmudgeon
Indiana Jones wanabe

Oddometer: 282
Thanks, Croak, that puts it in perspective. I was in ROTC and the reserve, have been an avid shooter, etc. so the metric stuff we used there I have no problem with...kilometers to miles, mms to inches, but other than knowing there's 3.8 liters in a gallon, volume measures are confusing for me, and like your reference to temperature... I know from physics that 0 C is 32F, and 100c is 212F, but in between, those, I get lost!

Cheers
Old 04-06-2013, 03:06 PM   #225
Croak
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celtic Curmudgeon View Post
Thanks, Croak, that puts it in perspective. I was in ROTC and the reserve, have been an avid shooter, etc. so the metric stuff we used there I have no problem with...kilometers to miles, mms to inches, but other than knowing there's 3.8 liters in a gallon, volume measures are confusing for me, and like your reference to temperature... I know from physics that 0 C is 32F, and 100c is 212F, but in between, those, I get lost!

Cheers
Just a matter of getting your frame of reference, and metric is a hell of a lot easier to learn in the first place, and easier to work with once you've learned it.

Oh, for converting Celsius to Fahrenheit, the quick and dirty method is to double it and add 30, which is not super accurate and doesn't work well below freezing, but gets you in the ballpark when talking about typical weather. 20C *2+30=70F. 10C*2+30=50F.