Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2013, 11:21 AM   #16741
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,656
TJE, did you thoroughly soak the fibers in oil prior to install?
Dirt Donkeys Do Baja: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671095

Shibby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 11:22 AM   #16742
BuRPsa
Finally growing up..

Oddometer: 548
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean-0 View Post
nice work
+1 Jayrod, I luv it so much that I've 'filed' your photo of the numbers. Will order a set before they tell me "Ooh, no, too old, not available anymore".
BuRPsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 11:23 AM   #16743
KonaTheHusky
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaTheHusky View Post
No offense taken. It's an embarrassing prospect, but makes a lot of sense considering I never thought to check which choke lever position corresponded with which plate position. Hahaha that actually makes a lot of sense.

I'll check after breakfast and let ya know.
Well looks like I havent been using the choke right. Embarrassing...

Gotta head to Denver so don't have time to apply my new found knowledge. Later today though.

Thanks man.
KonaTheHusky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 11:33 AM   #16744
BuRPsa
Finally growing up..

Oddometer: 548
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJE View Post
What would be the way to fix this?
Easy.
Drill a very small hole in the center of the remnant, as dead-center & as square as you can get.
Then next drill a bit bigger, but with a size that will allow you to hammer-in an allen key.
Then hammer in allen key and turn it out.

Oh, renew ALL the bolts, cheap enough.

Edit: someone mentioned 'dry friction plates' and 'soaking them in oil'. You did the latter didn't you? You should, overnight, maybe even heat the lot a bit. I'd put them in an pan with oil, heat to say 100C and let them cool off overnight.

BuRPsa screwed with this post 04-06-2013 at 11:38 AM
BuRPsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 11:35 AM   #16745
larryboy
Chopper Rider

Oddometer: 14,122
Quote:

Gotta head to Denver so don't have time to apply my new found knowledge. Later today though.

Thanks man.

, brain farts happen.
larryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 11:52 AM   #16746
Jayrod1318
Poster

Oddometer: 1,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuRPsa View Post
+1 Jayrod, I luv it so much that I've 'filed' your photo of the numbers. Will order a set before they tell me "Ooh, no, too old, not available anymore".
Having purchased lots of oem honda parts over the years I can tell you that these are current manufacture. They have the shiny new red labels and such. But they also do not cross reference with any other machines.

They are using these parts elsewhere, probably alot of the Honda's have a 22mm petcock.

I think I know why they won't sell the parts separate, liability. lawyers, and gas leaks explosions ect....

In fact if you are not careful it is very VERY easy to tear the x-ring that goes on the handle= leaky gas.
Old 04-06-2013, 01:36 PM   #16747
ZXRaziel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 401
Quote:

Thanks man.
Dont worry about it , you are not the first person to get confused with the " Clear honda marking " , i did the same when i got the bike .
I was trying to start the bike for the first time this year , could not start it no matter what i tryed , normaly it starts first kick , i was getting loads of explosions in the exhaust , then a really big one and heard the kids outside shouting .....
I have forgot about the exhaust plug thingy , the last explosion inside the exhaust was strong enough to shoot the focker about 30 feets outside the garage like a cannon , hence the excited children ,
noone was hurt in this story .
Old 04-06-2013, 02:22 PM   #16748
Sean-0
straya carnt

Oddometer: 4,287

Sean-0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 04:54 PM   #16749
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,753
Quote:
Originally Posted by crypto666 View Post

I love dropping into a sandy wash and pinning the throttle in fourth and feathering clutch as it launches towards 80mph. Try powering up a twisty sandy wash with your clutchless power shifts and see what comes out of your oil.

Why all this anti-clutch sentiment?

I think the anti-clutch crowd needs to go ride.
Lots of guys rarely use the clutch, it's common practice for many racers. The tranny handles it fine as long as the rider knows what he's doing. The clutch enguagment is actually the hardest thing on the bike's motor oil by far, as the plates come together the oil molicules get sheared breaking them down which along with small capacity is the primary reason for dirtbikes short oil chg intervals. MC specific oils have a slightly different molicule structure for this very reason. That being said, I use the clutch except when clicking up a gear at higher speds. My point is it's not a problem if one doesn't use the clutch when it's done properly and it's actually better for the oils life.
RideFreak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 06:48 PM   #16750
Icelander-DR650
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ.. View Post
Hi,

it's that crfx rear fender.?

can I know more about it?more day pics please!

Hi AJ,

Sorry it took so long to get back with the info on the CRFX fender Mod. I've been busy and it took a bit to find it.

http://www.supermotojunkie.com/showt...t=#post1396973

I'm not sure why the post opens at the bottom of the page...scroll up to see the info.
Icelander-DR650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 06:56 PM   #16751
Unsung
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsung View Post
I had a question about gearing. I am running 15/43 and it seems gutless over 65mph. I was going down the highway at about 75 and it just seemed wound too high and not wanting to pull. I kicked it wide open hoping to pass some people but gave up. I weigh 175lbs, stock wheels with shinko 705, uncorked with aftermarket exhaust. What am I missing here? Should I swap to a 14 front, or do I need to rejet and put an aftermarket air filter in it?

I'm starting to wonder now. I think my bike is losing power, is this possible? I have no speedo so it's hard to judge. But I chased a friend down in their car and passed them easily at 65 a few weeks ago. Blew by them and kept adding it on. Is it possible the problem was a lot of wind? Bah, asking all these questions when I should just go ride it down the highway again. Maybe there was too much wind, or people were going a lot faster than I thought.

Anybody?
Unsung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 07:03 PM   #16752
Icelander-DR650
Adventurer

I have just a few rides on the XRR I bought, it has 15-45 with supermoto wheels, which I can't see affecting acceleration much. It still pulls well at 75. Do you know what RPM you are pulling at that speed? My bike came with a Vapor so I do have RPM readout, but I am not sure what RPM I'm pulling at those speeds. Can take note for you if you like....
Old 04-06-2013, 07:08 PM   #16753
Unsung
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander-DR650 View Post
I have just a few rides on the XRR I bought, it has 15-45 with supermoto wheels, which I can't see affecting acceleration much. It still pulls well at 75. Do you know what RPM you are pulling at that speed? My bike came with a Vapor so I do have RPM readout, but I am not sure what RPM I'm pulling at those speeds. Can take note for you if you like....
No, but I try to not let it sound too busy. I would think 3,500-5,000 max. Probably closer to the low side of that. I got a speedometer and air filter on their way in the mail. I haven't had time to ride it lately, maybe in a couple of days I can get someone to follow at 75 down the highway. I was just judging by the speed people ride the highways here. I was VERY SLIGHTLY edging out the other drivers, and they tend to run 75 here. A couple of times I gave it more trying to catch up and go ahead and pass them, but it didn't seem too interested in it. It was quite windy though, so maybe I'm just paranoid, it was the first time I've had it on the highway.
Unsung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 07:18 PM   #16754
Icelander-DR650
Adventurer

A friend has one of these on his DRZ400SM, it's a neat little gadget. I like to know what RPM the motor is at. If my bike didn't have the Vapor I would get one of these Tiny Tach's

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Tiny-Tach-TT2...item3a797b6b63
Old 04-06-2013, 07:29 PM   #16755
Sean-0
straya carnt

Oddometer: 4,287
your bike at 75mph would be in the range of 5,200 to 5,500 or more rpm's
Sean-0 is offline   Reply With Quote