Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2013, 06:33 AM   #7636
CDCSlim
Rock On

Oddometer: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty Kentor View Post
Love the Strom Trooper!

Love the photo. I was in BC on the way to and from Alaska last year. Some of the best miles of the trip!!!!!!!
Old 04-05-2013, 03:56 AM   #7637
FreeDreamer
Get me out there!

Oddometer: 31
Cry Odd place to get an oil leak

Can anyone help me??

The following images highlight an oil leak which i have recently noticed and I am perplexed to say the least.

After some degreasing and the employing of my eagle eye, the oil leak seems to be coming from the left hand side of the engine bolt..
This seems to have been confirmed when i removed the bolt and noted it to be covered in oil.

I have spoken to my local Suzuki dealer and they have advised that this is a first for them and they themselves are not too sure as to the cause.

I am currently riding with AltRider Crash bars and bash plate and they have advised that with the tightening of the crash bars, there may have been some movement of the engine block which has resulted in this leak (Note that the bars were tightened to torque specs from the supplier)

I doubt that the crash bars are the cause of the fault, as i have had the bars on my bike for some time and have not noticed the leak before. I am, like all v-strom owners, in love with their bike and have noticed the leak pretty quickly.

The only other addition to my bike of late is a new exhaust system. I am thinking that maybe during the installation of this, something has gone amiss, but am not sure...

Has anyone ever experience such a leak???

I would really appreciate any feedback, as Suzuki have advised that i remove the crash bars and see if the leak continues.

Seeing that I have had the bars on the bike for some time and doubt that they are the cause, i have just loosened the bars a wee bit and am now letting the bike cool overnight. I shall crank her up again tomorrow and see what happens.
To be honest i expect the leak to continue.

Which leaves me with the horrible and expensive task of dropping the engine and pulling it apart... for a bike which hasn't yet reached 21,000 K's, that is something i am desperate to avoid.

Would appreciate any advice!!!!!

Mike

FreeDreamer screwed with this post 04-05-2013 at 05:01 AM Reason: .
FreeDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 03:56 AM   #7638
TinMan207
Most often a lurker...

Oddometer: 1,303
Fun little blast around the lake last weekend

Might have been in the 50's(that's F. that's 10C) when I started, but was colder when I got back, and every time I got near the lake the wind seemed to have changed so that it was always blowing off the ice!

02 Suzuki DL1000 - 06 Suzuki DL650 (2 at the moment!) - 06 DR650 - 00 DR650
TinMan207 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 04:29 AM   #7639
1 Wheel Drive
Flatus Antiquous

Oddometer: 1,238
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeDreamer View Post
Can anyone help me??

The following images highlight an oil leak which i have recently noticed and I am perplexed to say the least.

After some decreasing and the employing of my eagle eye, the oil leak seems to be coming from the left hand side of the engine bolt..
This seems to have been confirmed when i removed the bolt and noted it to be covered in oil.

I have spoken to my local Suzuki dealer and they have advised that this is a first for them and they themselves are not too sure as to the cause.

I am currently riding with AltRider Crash bars and bash plate and they have advised that with the tightening of the crash bars, there may have been some movement of the engine block which has resulted in this leak (Note that the bars were tightened to torque specs from the supplier)

I doubt that the crash bars are the cause of the fault, as i have had the bars on my bike for some time and have not noticed the leak before. I am, like all v-strom owners, in love with their bike and have noticed the leak pretty quickly.

The only other addition to my bike of late is a new exhaust system. I am thinking that maybe during the installation of this, something has gone amiss, but am not sure...

Has anyone every experience such a leak???

I would really appreciate any feedback, as Suzuki have advised that i remove the crash bars and see if the leak continues.

Seeing that I have had the bars on the bike for some time and doubt that they are the cause, i have just loosened the bars a wee bit and am now letting the bike cool overnight. I shall crank her up again tomorrow and see what happens.
To be honest i expect the leak to continue.

Which leaves me with the horrible and expensive task of dropping the engine and pulling it apart... for a bike which hasn't yet reached 21,000 K's, that is something i am desperate to avoid.

Would appreciate any advice!!!!!

Mike
From your pictures, it appears that this is the upper engine mount bolt. The only way that oil would be leaking into that bolt hole is if the gasket joining the two halves of the crankcases is leaking. Fixing that leak will probably require removing the entire engine and splitting the cases.

You should go around first and make sure that all of the bolts that hold the two halves of the cases together are correctly tightened first. Maybe you've just had the bad luck of them shaking loose somehow and re-tightening will stop it?

How bad is the leak? If it's just a few drips you might want to live with it for a while. Splitting the cases is a major undertaking.

Good luck
Old 04-05-2013, 04:59 AM   #7640
FreeDreamer
Get me out there!

Oddometer: 31
Oil Leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 Wheel Drive View Post
From your pictures, it appears that this is the upper engine mount bolt. The only way that oil would be leaking into that bolt hole is if the gasket joining the two halves of the crankcases is leaking. Fixing that leak will probably require removing the entire engine and splitting the cases.

You should go around first and make sure that all of the bolts that hold the two halves of the cases together are correctly tightened first. Maybe you've just had the bad luck of them shaking loose somehow and re-tightening will stop it?

How bad is the leak? If it's just a few drips you might want to live with it for a while. Splitting the cases is a major undertaking.

Good luck

The leak is not a bad one, a little more than a weep, but not gushing.
However in my eyes a leak is a leak, and i want it stopped!!

I'll have a squizz at all the other bolts in the morning and see how I go (Thanks for the suggestion!!)

The only remaining option is to do what you say...
drop it and take it apart. in 3K, i have the 24K service which involves checking the valve clearances, and i'll also ask for the radiator to be flushed and brake fluid to be changed as well (as i did not do it on an earlier service as it's beyond my skills), so i guess whilst they are in there poking around with all of that, they can check the leak out then.. Although i do shudder when i think about how much that is all going to cost!!!

Thanks for your advice!

Mike

P.s After a little searching, i have discovered that this may not be an isolated issue:

Seeing as i am not up with the techno mumbo jumbo, and there are no supporting images on either of the following posts, i can only guess that they are describing the same fault.

http://www.v-strom.co.uk/phpBB3/view...hp?f=17&t=8919

http://www.vstrom.info/Smf/index.php?topic=18923.0

http://www.stromtrooper.com/dl650-20...rash-bars.html

FreeDreamer screwed with this post 04-05-2013 at 07:27 AM Reason: More info
FreeDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 06:32 PM   #7641
FishHunt
slow poking...

Oddometer: 1,319
New to me 2007 Wee Strom came home with me today. Only 8,300 miles on the bike.

<>< Fish

Be good and you will be lonesome - Mark Twain
Old 04-05-2013, 06:54 PM   #7642
Bravo21
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishHunt View Post
New to me 2007 Wee Strom came home with me today. Only 8,300 miles on the bike.

<>< Fish

Let the farkeling begin!
Old 04-06-2013, 07:33 AM   #7643
nhbubba
Internet Tough Guy

Oddometer: 418
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo21 View Post
Let the riding begin!
Fixed.
Old 04-06-2013, 10:08 AM   #7644
Bravo21
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
Fixed.
I (rightly) stand corrected.
Old 04-06-2013, 12:11 PM   #7645
valongbeard
Accidental Adventure

Oddometer: 1,219
Here's an unfortunate photo of my lovely steed. Stinking fork seal was leaking. Seems like i need some additional tools to get the inner and outer tubes separated. Doggone it. I am going to miss some good weather if i don't get this back together soon.

Old 04-06-2013, 03:15 PM   #7646
biker128pedal
Super Lurker

Oddometer: 2,747
Quote:
Originally Posted by valongbeard View Post
Here's an unfortunate photo of my lovely steed. Stinking fork seal was leaking. Seems like i need some additional tools to get the inner and outer tubes separated. Doggone it. I am going to miss some good weather if i don't get this back together soon.

Looks like it took some energy to support the Wee.

I believe the tool is to hold the damper inside whilst unscrewing for the bottom. You may be able to tale out the bottom fastener with the fork cap on and the spring compressed. Just be sure to loosen the top cap before removing fro the triple clamp.

Wee Strommin along.
biker128pedal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 03:17 PM   #7647
biker128pedal
Super Lurker

Oddometer: 2,747
It was a good day for a ride.

Stopped by the training grounds and did a few figure eights.

Wee Strommin along.
biker128pedal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 03:53 PM   #7648
1 Wheel Drive
Flatus Antiquous

Oddometer: 1,238
Ah shit. Probably too late to suggest just cleaning the seals with a seal mate. Works a whole shot load percent of times.
Old 04-06-2013, 04:07 PM   #7649
NortwestRider
TRIPOD ADVENTURER !!

Oddometer: 3,466
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 Wheel Drive View Post
Ah shit. Probably too late to suggest just cleaning the seals with a seal mate. Works a whole shot load percent of times.
+++1 on the seal mate !!!!
They work for me about 50% of the time..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Facebook..PNW Adventure Riders..Facebook
MY BUILD http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=938440
NortwestRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 11:48 PM   #7650
sweetlu
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
sweetlu is offline   Reply With Quote