Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2013, 03:41 PM   #106
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,327
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte View Post
First 800XC demo I took out had a very pronounced front wheel bounce in the 35-45mph range. After returning to the shop, I informed the dealership owner about it and he seemed incredulous and nonchalant about it. I bought my bike from another dealer who gives a shit.
I can honestly say I have never heard of any issue with the front bouncing.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 04:20 PM   #107
cug

Oddometer: 4,178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
I can honestly say I have never heard of any issue with the front bouncing.
I think it was quite common in discussions for a while. It's of course that some feel it more than others but it's also something that a lot of adventure bikes have.

From my perspective it's likely a combination of road and not correctly set up suspension. At least if it's not a bad front wheel / tire of course. And it feels like coming from the front, but it's also likely a combination of front and rear exposing it. My Roadie did it slightly, much less so with the Traxxion front suspension. I expect it to go away completely in two or three weeks ...
cug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:24 PM   #108
Ockrocket
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 949
I see all these comments saying it is a "road bike" issue, or an "adventure bike" issue, or because the suspension is wrong, and so forth.

FFS, it is most likely a tyre fitted incorrectly or out of balance, or a bent rim.

In this day and age neither bike manufacturers, nor tyre manufacturers produce products that are faulty right out of the factory.

I'm considering an XC, if I rode one with this fault I'd be commenting to the dealership and [as mentioned above] would buy somewhere else if they didn't react in an appropriate manner regarding the problem.

A bounce in the front would put me off buying a particular bike, not put me off buying that particular brand/model.

If you like the Trumpy, look for one that doesn't bounce [which will most likely be the next one, or ten, you throw a leg over], from a dealer that wants to listen to you and look after you as a customer.

"All roads lead to now."

I love snatching kisses..... and vice versa.
Ockrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 02:41 AM   #109
Riot
Tiger Rider

Oddometer: 104
To be honest they could have spent a little more of the suspension, HOWEVER as I am 120kgs, I would have to alter the suspension on pretty much anything I got.

I would STILL definitely buy again. Owning one has been a VERY pleasant surprise for a pommy vehicle.
No oil to be seen where it parks and the electrics are as good as I have seen on any UJB or 4x4.

In fact I would say to anyone as a prospective buyer DO NOT TRY unless you are prepared to buy - its that good.
Riot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 04:19 AM   #110
Couch_ninja
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
I've only had mine for a few weeks and 600 miles, but I absolutely love this bike. The engine is like a turbine, the seating position upright and comfortable, great handling, feels much lighter than it is, soaks up bumps onroad as if they weren't there, decent gas mileage, the only thing I can't comment on is offroad (yet). I'm an ex motocross rider, so I expect the bike will do very well offroad for what it is. Won't be doing any triples, but I think it will do great on fire roads and easy single track. hell yes, I'd buy it again! My Ducati and Harley have been collecting dust...
Couch_ninja is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 04:31 AM   #111
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,327
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot View Post
To be honest they could have spent a little more of the suspension, HOWEVER as I am 120kgs, I would have to alter the suspension on pretty much anything I got.

I would STILL definitely buy again. Owning one has been a VERY pleasant surprise for a pommy vehicle.
No oil to be seen where it parks and the electrics are as good as I have seen on any UJB or 4x4.

In fact I would say to anyone as a prospective buyer DO NOT TRY unless you are prepared to buy - its that good.
(faint) praise indeed
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 12:48 PM   #112
Riot
Tiger Rider

Oddometer: 104
If you have ever owned a series LandRover you will understand EXACTLY how high this praise is.
Riot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 01:04 PM   #113
T
FKA cyclingtom

Oddometer: 4,593
Quote:
If you have ever owned a series LandRover you will understand EXACTLY how high this praise is.
Sometimes direct translation looses something when it crosses an ocean (or two).
Old 04-07-2013, 02:48 AM   #114
Ockrocket
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 949
Quote:
I've owned numerous Pommie vehicles, including FOUR Landrovers

I rode an 800XC last year but didn't think it was that great on road handling, I felt it lacked the "intuitive" turn in on corners that my Wee-Strom has.

I'm still looking for a better dirt capable bike that can still do two up on the tar with relative ease.

My KLE500 does a great job on tar and dirt.

I tried it two up with the Mrs. on the back today, it has enough performance for the two of us [my Mrs. doesn't like going too quick so I ride accordingly when she's with me, not in a rush to get anywhere anyway].

The downfall is that it is a bit cramped seating wise for both of us [and we are not "oversize", just average].

Maybe it's time I took another spin on an XC, perhaps a second hand one that has settled in suspension wise.

Did anyone else feel the road handling was not quite up to par when new? [I'm asking here because the "buy again" answer is a good guide to what a bike is really like- or capable of being].

"All roads lead to now."

I love snatching kisses..... and vice versa.
Ockrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 05:00 AM   #115
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,078
I was happy with handling on my XC when new and still happy now.

Question is - how "spot on" suspension is for your weight.
As for handing comparing to Vstrom - in my experience with 2 Vstroms of my buddies (I worked on them and ridden them - converted one to spoked wheels and fixed other one after a bit of "offs") Vstrom need to be ridden in usual road bike style while XC responds best ridden a bit like big dirtbike. I came to XC from Suzuki DR800 and I felt instantly at home riding it same way like DR. It can be surprisingly agile if you using that approach. Perhaps you can try this when you try XC next time - see if you like it?
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:08 PM   #116
Tagnahoor
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Thumb I'd buy it again

I'd buy the XC again, but I think I'd skip the Triumph farkles and buy after market stuff. Mine handles great. Much better than my 848 handled, but not as sharp as my Tuono. Over frost heaved roads, it's awesome, best bike ever.
Old 04-26-2013, 07:49 AM   #117
Hytram
crash test dummy

Oddometer: 661
I am in that predicament right now... Wrote off my XC 2 weeks back, they dont take much to write off, average hit to the front and the dash/head light subframe is bent an as its part of the frame the bikes a goner

Over all they are a great bike but the engine bores me. I came from a 950 adv and a DL1000 before that and both have more enjoyable engines to me. I even dropped the front sprocket down and installed a 20% quicker throttle and it still didn't do it for me..... I am a twin lover

Power was adequate, but not enough, but I do like to tease sports bikes.

I think its close to perfection for most, just not me

Seriously thinking of the new KTM 1190adv, that ticks more boxes for me

Test rode the multistrada, it rocked my world for a road bike but it's not dirty enough

Shoe horn a LC8 in there and then it would be brilliant

One thing it did though, it changed my whole veiw of Triumph, they make a great, reliable bike
Hytram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 09:56 AM   #118
Dubl-A
MADE IN BURQUE

Oddometer: 1,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hytram View Post
I am in that predicament right now... Wrote off my XC 2 weeks back, they dont take much to write off, average hit to the front and the dash/head light subframe is bent an as its part of the frame the bikes a goner

Over all they are a great bike but the engine bores me. I came from a 950 adv and a DL1000 before that and both have more enjoyable engines to me. I even dropped the front sprocket down and installed a 20% quicker throttle and it still didn't do it for me..... I am a twin lover

Power was adequate, but not enough, but I do like to tease sports bikes.

I think its close to perfection for most, just not me

Test rode the multistrada, it rocked my world for a road bike but it's not dirty enough

Shoe horn a LC8 in there and then it would be brilliant

One thing it did though, it changed my whole veiw of Triumph, they make a great, reliable bike
Interesting view. I'm in your same boat, my 12' XC was run over and written off. I do differ in your sum of the bike though as I would buy another in a heartbeat.

I would however like to test ride a 1190R once it gets to the US
Old 04-26-2013, 10:29 AM   #119
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hytram View Post

Agreed on both counts. I have the Multistrada for the paved roads.
And that 1190 Adventure has my name all over it for the gravel roads. But I will wait and see how the beta users make use of it, how it works for them. And meanwhile I will see how my Tiger 800 XC survives (or not) a more dirt oriented path (it used to be my road bike until the Multistrada found its way to my shed)

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 12:35 AM   #120
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,151
I would buy another 800XC if this one went tits up simply because it's the best bike on the planet. It just does everything so well. You just need to change the tyres for different environments. i.e. knobblies for the dirt and pure road tyres for your track days. You really don't need 150bhp to have real fun.
Bike history [(N) = bought new] :- YAS1, RD350B(N), XS750(N), XT500, XJ650(N), XJ900S(N), CBX750, XL185S, XR250RF, XR600, KTM600LC4, TDR250, R100GS, TS200R, Tiger955i(N), Scrambler900efi, Tiger800XC(N)...
blacktiger is offline   Reply With Quote