Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2013, 10:23 AM   #121
MJS
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,797
Quote:
Originally Posted by joints4sale View Post
Makes sense but at the PC they also had a practice that makes sense. When a new bike comes in, take all the new panels off and store them until its service life at the facility is over. Then put all the new panels back on for it to be sold. One could easily do this with tires as well. I assume that when they go to sell the bikes they'll likely put new tires on. Just a thought
That would make a lot of sense to me. My understanding is the used bikes are made available to dealers at a substantial discount "as-is". Probably the same with press bikes and PC center bikes. Dealers would then have to make any repairs needed, replace plastics or not, etc. I've no direct knowledge of how this works and I guess the bikes would have to be sold as used. I doubt they crush them.
Old 04-07-2013, 06:37 AM   #122
EOD3MC OP
What will break next

Oddometer: 4,554
After we got back to the compound, Del offered up another after class trail ride… he also mentioned that we had better rest up a few minutes because we would need to bring our "A" game...bikes were likely to go down on this trip...

Being that this was my last day of riding at RawHyde…I certainly wasn't going to pass it up. Quite a few from our class were going on the BaseCamp Alpha ride or the CV trip the next day so they passed. The only other student to take Del up on his offer was Andrew.

So after a few minutes, Del, Jeff, Jason, Mark, Andrew and I headed out. …

Overall, it was the hardest terrain we faced all weekend. Most of it was in another part of the ranch that we hadn’t been to before. A couple of the hill climbs were tough. We were headed into the evening sun and with the dust kicked up by Del, we had almost no visibility of the ground in front of us…Couldn’t worry about ruts, roots or rocks…just stay on the gas and head for the top…and it was awesome.
He led us all over the place, in and around trees, up and down some fairly steep hills…it was a blast…and no one dropped a bike.

We did pass a couple naked men…Don’t ask, but I think they are in the video.

All in all it was about a half hour ride…it used every trick and technique we learned and then some..

Here are a couple video clips from the trail ride…

(coming soon...)

When we go back to the compound it was a bit depressing…for the past 8 months I have though about riding this weekend almost everyday.
Now it was done…
EOD3MC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 07:00 AM   #123
EOD3MC OP
What will break next

Lessons Learned:

First off, most lessons or nuggets of information provided as part of RawHyde’s Next Step program I had heard or seen at least once before. A few of the exercises were variations of the same techniques taught by Shane Watts as part of DirtWise. The big differences however were the coaches and the location. Shane taught from a racer’s point of view. The fundamentals were the same, but the perspective was different. The RawHyde coaches brought a trail riders perspective. Finesse on a big bike is much different than on a small bike…and they addressed that well.

There were a few things that really “clicked” during the class…
Some of these make perfect sense in hindsight, but had never noticed previously.

Lesson One:
You can use your rear brake on a downhill or use engine braking, but you can’t use both at the same time. If you are engine braking on a downhill and apply rear brake, the amount of brake applied is magnified due to the engine compression and you will quickly lock the wheel…if the wheel doesn’t roll and the clutch is still out, you stall.
The best technique I found during the class was to feather the clutch and engine brake for the straight down hills, but pull in the clutch and use the rear brake for downhill turns. If the turn was tight, I would intentionally lock the wheel and pivot, then feather the clutch to pull away from the turn.

Lesson Two:
Throttle and Clutch balance. Most of the time I have ridden, I tend to rev the motor a bit for tight stuff and release the clutch slightly…almost like little pushes to the bike through those tight maneuvers. When we were doing the counterbalance exercises, Jeff offered this suggestion and it worked well and made those tight or tricky challenges much easier. It was simply to move my throttle hand out to the end of the grip where my little finger could rest on the barkbuster. Using that, he suggested that I hold the throttle at lower RPMs (like 1500-2000) and only feather the clutch to move the bike. This resulted in a much more even application of power to the rear wheel and made the steering lock turns and figure eights much smoother and easier. It also worked well when we did the uphill re-starts.

Lesson Three:
Sand…I’ve never ridden much sand, maybe 20-30’ here and there while on a trail…normally these were straight shots and I would just power through. Learning about the “dabbing” technique to steer through the sand was a rear eye opener. That was something I had never heard of and likely would have never though of.

The Coaches:
Del, Jason, Jeff and Mark were fantastic. They took the time to learn about the rider and made corrective suggestions one step at a time. The really remarkable part for me was they all said the same thing. If two of the coaches gave you suggestions for the same challenge, they were saying almost exactly the same thing. They also made it fun...When I dropped the bike in the first 10' of the first challenge, I didn't get a lecture or a I know what you did wrong attitude...I got a "nice tuck and roll, but the dismount could have been better".
They were a great bunch of guys to ride with...and learn from

The RawHyde Adventures property has just about every terrain challange you could run into on the trail. (Though I didn't see a rock garden... I wouldn't be surprised if Jim had one out there somewhere). This made the lessons much more practicle. The variety of terrain allowed the coaches to increase the difficulty of exercises in stages. This really helped build confidence. Previous classes I've attended had to make due with the area provided. At times there was no transition...just straight into the challenge. With these, some students in other classes chose not to attempt the lesson and lost out on that skill.

Old 04-08-2013, 01:14 PM   #124
Konaboy
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Wow I need to go to one of those schools but I want my GSA there. Maybe if the USCG stations me close by. I need my knobbie tires
Konaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:55 PM   #125
REAPER_ONE
Done

Oddometer: 3,037
Hey Dave, based on the class outputs would you feel comfortable taking the 990 through the Eagle Bay short loop?
REAPER_ONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 02:02 AM   #126
EOD3MC OP
What will break next

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSA_PILOT View Post
Hey Dave, based on the class outputs would you feel comfortable taking the 990 through the Eagle Bay short loop?
On the right day....yes
Dry, good weather...but, the decision isn't made based solely on what was learned from the class.