ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-09-2012, 08:05 PM   #1
Rob Dirt OP
More or less in line
 
Rob Dirt's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Mobile
Oddometer: 2,562
How the hell did you torq your Rox risers ?

I don't know how I can mount these risers exactly how I want & still be able to use a torq wrench. I guess I can cut an allen wrench down to fit in there & just guess at the torq value.

Please tell me how you tightened yours down.
__________________
Heart of Dixie
Rob Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 08:28 PM   #2
Vincenthdfan
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Olympia, Washington
Oddometer: 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Dirt View Post
I don't know how I can mount these risers exactly how I want & still be able to use a torq wrench. I guess I can cut an allen wrench down to fit in there & just guess at the torq value.

Please tell me how you tightened yours down.
Just use German Torque...Gude-n-tite!
Vincenthdfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:21 PM   #3
kag
Wander Lust
 
kag's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: Kansas
Oddometer: 1,388
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincenthdfan View Post
Just use German Torque...Gude-n-tite!

x2 with a little Blue Loctite or at least i did
kag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:34 PM   #4
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave
 
Sock Monkey's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: SF Bay Area, CA, USA, Earth
Oddometer: 2,049
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincenthdfan View Post
Just use German Torque...Gude-n-tite!
+1

-SM
__________________
aka NoVector
Current: 2012 Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX, 2008 Yamaha WR250R
Gone: Ducati Multistrada, Moto Guzzi Norge, BMW R1200GS, BMW F650 GS Dakar, KTM 520 EXC, Suzuki DRZ400E, and the list goes on.......
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:37 PM   #5
Anticyclone
Ride more worry less
 
Anticyclone's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: In Transit
Oddometer: 5,431
Rotate the bars forward, then tighten down the bolts that would be blocked by the bars, then rotate the bars into position, then tighten the now easily accessible front bolts.

Bob's your uncle.
__________________
Later,
Michael
"If I can't pass at a reasonable speed I do it unreasonably." - jdmetzger
Anticyclone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:17 PM   #6
Smopho
Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: Central TX
Oddometer: 98
Torque a bolt in place without the bars with a torque wrench, then put an allen on it and tighten it until it just starts to move to get a feel for that amount of torque. For bolts that size in aluminum I typically use three fingers on the allen. Then put the bars in, tighten one side you won't be able to reach down until you can just slide a couple of business cards between the riser clamp and riser. Rotate the riser and bars into their final positon. Then tighten the side you can reach with an allen wrench using the "feel" you memorized. Or just tighten the crap out of it with the allen and forget about the torque wrench. But use the gap method and you'll find out the riser clamps come out with a very close to equal gap on each side.
Smopho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 09:09 AM   #7
vtwin
Air cooled runnin' mon
 
vtwin's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: NorCal
Oddometer: 7,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticyclone View Post
Rotate the bars forward, then tighten down the bolts that would be blocked by the bars, then rotate the bars into position, then tighten the now easily accessible front bolts.

Bob's your uncle.

This is how I did mine. Cinch rear bolts first, rotate bar back into position, torque front bolts.
__________________
"Alles hat ein Ende--nur die Wurst, sie hat zwei"
Monroe.

"You only have too much fuel if you're on fire"
unknown
vtwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 02:18 PM   #8
cug
--
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Sunny California
Oddometer: 4,845
Remember to bring the front ones flush, then torque rear, rotate where you want them, torque front (bigger bolts). If you torque the rear ones (normally the smaller ones) first, then torque the front you also get more torque on the rear. So be careful of order, then you're good.

The manual calls for tightening the front first (35Nm), that's to get the front flush and to be able to put precise torque on the smaller bolts. You can't do that with the Rox risers, but you can't at least make the front flush first.
cug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 09:40 AM   #9
vtwin
Air cooled runnin' mon
 
vtwin's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: NorCal
Oddometer: 7,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
Remember to bring the front ones flush, then torque rear, rotate where you want them, torque front (bigger bolts). If you torque the rear ones (normally the smaller ones) first, then torque the front you also get more torque on the rear. So be careful of order, then you're good.

The manual calls for tightening the front first (35Nm), that's to get the front flush and to be able to put precise torque on the smaller bolts. You can't do that with the Rox risers, but you can't at least make the front flush first.

I believe the op is referring to the bolts for the clamps to the triple, not to the bars.



http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=312718
__________________
"Alles hat ein Ende--nur die Wurst, sie hat zwei"
Monroe.

"You only have too much fuel if you're on fire"
unknown
vtwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 10:21 AM   #10
cug
--
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Sunny California
Oddometer: 4,845
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtwin View Post
I believe the op is referring to the bolts for the clamps to the triple, not to the bars.
I'm not referring to the bars either.

1) Get your Rox risers in, hand tight the bolts
2) Get the front bolt (the bigger one) flush
3) Mount the handle bar in the Rox clamps
4) Rotate whole enchilada forward
5) Torque the rear (smaller) bolts of the OEM mount
6) Rotate risers where you want them
7) Torque front (bigger) bolts of OEM mount
8) Torque Rox clamp bolts

Btw: a lot of people found that the hole in the Rox riser is perfectly aligned to torque the rear bolt for a very good position for most riders. That worked perfectly well for me when I was using the Rox risers. Then you can torque according to the Triumph manual.
cug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 12:29 PM   #11
Rob Dirt OP
More or less in line
 
Rob Dirt's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Mobile
Oddometer: 2,562
Cug knows what I'm talking about on the T8. Your supposed to torque the front bolts, then the rear bolts. Right now I have the risers mounted as far forward as I could put them & still get an Allen socket through the hole in the risers. I would prefer to push them a bit more forward, but there is no way I could tighten the rear bolts last.
Thanks for all the help.
__________________
Heart of Dixie
Rob Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 12:43 PM   #12
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer
 
burmbuster's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: South East USA
Oddometer: 1,429
I used Vincent's method.

Just lined the bars up like I want and snugged 'me down.
__________________
_______________
2013 KTM 690 Enduro R
burmbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 07:42 PM   #13
vtwin
Air cooled runnin' mon
 
vtwin's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: NorCal
Oddometer: 7,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Dirt View Post
Cug knows what I'm talking about on the T8. Your supposed to torque the front bolts, then the rear bolts. Right now I have the risers mounted as far forward as I could put them & still get an Allen socket through the hole in the risers. I would prefer to push them a bit more forward, but there is no way I could tighten the rear bolts last.
Thanks for all the help.

Ah, ok, the Ulysses do not have any access holes as they are offset. I was forced to rotate the whole thing forward, cinch the rear bolts first, then rotate the whole thing back to access the front bolts and only torque them. The bar to clamps then torqued normally.
__________________
"Alles hat ein Ende--nur die Wurst, sie hat zwei"
Monroe.

"You only have too much fuel if you're on fire"
unknown
vtwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 12:39 AM   #14
FuzzyDunlop
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: Melbourne
Oddometer: 236
I found that I could tighten the inaccessible bolts using a ball head allen key. The ball head allows you to insert the key at an angle.
__________________
Currently riding 2013 KTM 1190 Adv R
FuzzyDunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 09:10 AM   #15
996DL
Buell me
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: finally back in paradise...
Oddometer: 2,148
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtwin View Post
Holy feeler gauges Batman !

Just ordered the above product yesterday morning, to allow me the option to raise the forks through the triple trees, without handlebar clearance issues, on my new to me 2010 XB12X.

And all this, to coincide with the German Metisse rear shock lowering collar, that's heading it's way to me.

Needless to say, I'll be saving this thread, into my Uly Suspension folder.

Also sourcing a set of MSR carbon steel YZ low bend handlebars, in case I'm not comfortable with the increased bar height, with the Rox riser install.

996DL
Kinda on the short side...

996DL screwed with this post 04-07-2013 at 09:18 AM
996DL is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:01 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014