User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-21-2012, 07:37 PM   #1
ricochetrider OP
a certain something

Oddometer: 1,806
Pennsyltuckey Noodlin'

I ride around here enough that I am frequently posting pix and stories about my rides. After I put this up, I realised this thread would be perfect for me to use for covering my two-wheeled exploits in South Central PA. and wherever I may day-trip out to. Cheers.
PS: I threw a bunch of links to stuff into the opening chapter last night. Don't get used to that.

Sunday Oct 21 2012:
Had a day off today (YAY ) and after I slept in,the Girlfriend & I went out for a nice ride.

But first a stop for breakfast... or lunch? What would you call eggs, pancakes, sausages, & home fries at 1:00 PM? If I just woke up (I had), it's STILL breakfast to me. There are a couple diners near us, down along the river. We chose this one today, and yes, Miss C had the pumpkin pancakes with actual REAL maple syrup.

After, we began to ride upriver- but I quickly felt the need to just head west off the river route, out into the valley. The sky was bright and sunny, with BIG puffy white clouds. The clouds cast their shadows on the mountainsides, where they danced over the tree tops.

We turned north, going up Waggoner's Gap (PA route 74)
on what we call the North Mountain, which we'd been riding parallel to for several miles. This mountain is actually officially the Blue Mountain.
Wiki Link Here

This "gap" at the top of the ridge, is right along the major inland migratory flyway, and is down range from Hawk Mountain which gets all the glory. Check the Raptor Count for today on the Hawk Mountain page to see what kind of numbers I'm talking here in peak migration- it's staggering. The Audobon Society has a presence up at Waggoner's Gap, & with it being peak migration season right now, the parking at the top was too crammed for us to stop for any shots of the valley below. But the mountain was as colorful as I've ever seen it. Indeed- all the "leaf-lookers" were out & about, Sunday driving just like we were. I bet we passed 50 bikes or more during the course of our day's ride, but yeah, there were lots of cars too...

Over the ridge, and out into Perry County, PA. Perry County -being largely quite rural- is the brunt of all the incest jokes around these parts. To this day, there isn't a single traffic light to be found in the entire county.

Back around we went, up and over the same ridge again At Doubling Gap- and out across the Great Cumberland Valley to the South Mountain along PA route 233.

Doubling Gap Map Here

This is interesting because the mountain actually doubles back on itself creating a definite "S" shape! there is a spot west of where we were, up on a dirt road where you can see the entire thing. We weren't up there today, but I've provided an aerial view in the above link for you.

Out across the great Valley we went, back up onto the mountain at Pine Grove Furnace State Park, down into Mount Holly Springs, over to Boiling Springs, Following the good old Yellow Breeches Creek home. By the time we were getting near the end of the ride, the day had grown long, and so had the shadows. As it was actually dangerous to stop along the roadside for pix, due to the amount of cars and bikes out- I took precious few photos along the rest of the ride- but we did have a nice time, and it was really great to be out with my baby in tow.

The Great Valley Map

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cumberland_Valley

http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/statepar...egrovefurnace/

ricochetrider screwed with this post 10-22-2012 at 04:20 PM
ricochetrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 06:26 AM   #2
ricochetrider OP
a certain something

Tuesday Oct 22 2012

A buddy and I took our airhead BMWs out yesterday, and had a nice 80+ mile run around the rural back roads, enjoying the sunshine and fall colors.

My 1993 R100RS:

We took a short hike to get these views:
The Great Cumberland Valley

Perry County PA

Got home and had a little Hodgoblin:

Old 10-23-2012, 07:21 AM   #3
ricochetrider OP
a certain something

Last Week (Sometime in Oct '12)

I was out taking pix of my bike (R100RS again) and the local river, which is no small trickle- the Susquehanna. After living here for many years, I've come to regard this river as one of the most beautiful bodies of water I've ever known. (or seen)

Here I am across from Harrisburg, capitol pf Pennsyltuckey- where the state politicians have actually had fist fights and brawls on the house or senate floor! I mean hey- it didn't get the nickname Pennsyltuckey fer nothin'!

Moving upriver, a stop at the Marysville Riffles

Here, you can see the great Rockville Bridge in the background. More on that later.

Moving upriver to the confluence of the Juniata and the Susquehanna, but FIRST a stop to view a local land mark- Lady Liberty On The Susquehanna:

Situated in the river's Dauphin Narrows section, standing on an old railroad pier, this mock-up of Statue Of Liberty is made of solid, flat-stacked 3/4" plywood. It weighs about 4 tons and is covered in fiberglass. She holds a Keystone instead of a bible. She was flown out to her spot on the pier using a HUGE ass helicopter. The short flight was launched from Fort Hunter park on the east side of the river. This current version of Lady Liberty replaced the original- which was made from a 4X4, some plywood "ribs" and a shitload of old metal venetian blind blades. It had an "expanding" foam head, which they sprayed out of cans into a mold! The old statue fell down in an ice storm back in the 90s, after gamely weathering many storms and seasonal changes. It took a few years to replace it, but a shiny new one has enjoyed wide notoriety and reknown since. I know all this because I helped take the old one down, and know the guys who snuck it up there to begin with- in the middle of the night with a technical assault on the pier- which stands over 40 feet from the river's surface. I was on the pier when we flew the new one out, after doing much work on the pier itself to ready it for its new statue. From the very bottom of the pier, on the rocks, a 40 foot extension ladder JUST reaches the top of the pier. I do not recall how many 5 gallon buckets of mortar I carried up that ladder during the remake of the pier top. We laid down some skids and mixed the mortar (by hand) on a work station we built at the bottom of the pier- canoeing buckets of sand and bags of mortar out from the east shore. The guy who ram-rodded the project is now running for a political office in PA.

Here I am at the confluence of the Juniata and the Susquehanna. To the right is the Juniata, to the left, Susquehanna.

Next, I rode up the eat side of the river to try to get onto the Millersburg Ferry- but it's only running on weekends now, I guess they back the schedule off a bit before shutting down for the winter. Instead I rode out east on 209 and headed up towards Carsonville, getting up into the mountains.

I had the roads to myself on this fine autumn day.

Past Carsonville- NO I didn't stop at the Carsonville Hotel- But did wave to Dennis, who was out sweeping the entrance ramp. I noodled on down the mountain to Clark's Valley Rd. For those who don't know it, Clark's Valley Rd runs a dead straight 15-20? mile line through the woods with very few intersections other than driveways. Tho the state police Do patrol it from time to time, typically you can just FLY up or down it. I turned off CV Rd, turning right on the MUY FAB Goldmine Road, which runs over a couple sweet ridges in very curvy lines, to PA 443, which runs back to the river along Fishing Creek.

The very cool Rockville Bridge is one of the longest stone arch bridges anywhere- built, (I think) in the 30s by immigrant stone masons. It's a railroad bridge, and sometimes you can see two trains on it at once.

ricochetrider screwed with this post 10-23-2012 at 07:39 AM
Old 10-23-2012, 06:53 PM   #4
scootac
Just a Traveler

Oddometer: 2,955
Nice report!!!
And with AIRHEADS!!!!
A small request though,,, if you put up pics of good eating places,,, you really should put up the location!!!
There are a few places I haven't been to yet!

'81 R100RT, '04 ST 1300, '02 DR 650
scootac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 01:13 AM   #5
murdock84
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 550
Nice pics. I believe Perry County got their first traffic light the other year. Maybe around Marysville area. 850 and 11/15 I think.
murdock84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 03:48 PM   #6
ricochetrider OP
a certain something

Quote:
Originally Posted by murdock84 View Post
Nice pics. I believe Perry County got their first traffic light the other year. Maybe around Marysville area. 850 and 11/15 I think.
Good point- I forgot about that light -not sure why, as I go thru it often. I guess I don't think of that as Perry County but it most definitely is.

Scootac,

That diner is right in Wormleysburg- next to the Drinkin Bone bar. Upriver from Wormleysburg proper, closer to the Conodoguinet...
Old 10-27-2012, 06:27 AM   #7
ddavidv
Thrifty not cheap

Oddometer: 1,112
Nice reports. Keep them coming.
I piss and moan a lot about living here (mostly due to the weather), but it does offer good riding.
The Rockville Bridge is covered in a book written a few years ago. You wouldn't think a book about a bridge would be all that interesting, but I really enjoyed it.

KLR Chronicles, list of my Ride Reports in PA/MD:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...2#post18782262
ddavidv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 11:43 AM   #8
ricochetrider OP
a certain something

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddavidv View Post
Nice reports. Keep them coming.
I piss and moan a lot about living here (mostly due to the weather), but it does offer good riding.
The Rockville Bridge is covered in a book written a few years ago. You wouldn't think a book about a bridge would be all that interesting, but I really enjoyed it.
Well, I've lived in worse places for weather- Houston, for but one example. Another good book you might enjoy -
"Susquehanna: River Of Dreams" by Susan Q Stranahan (IIRC). Details the geology (facts & theories) and historical human interactions with the Susquehanna River, canal systems, etc.- VERY cool.

I regard PA as having some of the best motorcycling anywhere- mostly mountains, mostly rural, sparsely populated in all the good [mo'cyclin'] parts, and people on bikes virtually everywhere.
I'm not native to here but lived here most of my adult life.

Another [major] bonus of life in Central PA- 2 hours to Philly & D.C., 1&1/2 hours to Baltimore, 3 hours to NYC. 20 minutes to pure countryside, and always [comparatively] minimalist rush hour.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:33 PM   #9
ricochetrider OP
a certain something

Actually Have a Day OFF 2morro!

Gonna be chilly but I might just get out and ride some after voting!
Y'all DO vote, dontcha?
Old 04-07-2013, 09:35 AM   #10
ricochetrider OP
a certain something

Laugh April 6,2013 *New Report*

I've been waiting to get a bike -ANY bike- out on the road this year, and between work and weather, and just plain bad timing, I hadn't had much opportunity. BUT eventually, even a blind squirrel finds a damn nut...

Today wasn't QUITE as warm as yesterday, so I waited about, killing time by jaunting down to the local Farmer's Market for some breakfast, and kicking it at the house... until FINALLY the temps topped the 40 degree (F) mark. Yesterday, I'd uncovered the good ol R100, and ran it for a few minutes. Today, it was as ready as I was apparently. It fired up with a roar and off we went.

As I rolled down the hill, the river to my left was as still as glass; the arches of the bridges down there reflecting nicely on the water. The sky was as clear as a bell- it was a gen-u-wine blue bird day, and right Spring-like in all its glory. I popped down thru New Cumberland to see if Deuce was gonna be around, but no. So I headed west and was soon in the country.

I rolled out across the great Cumberland Valley, following the Yellow Breeches Creek for a ways down to Boiling Springs. It's the 2nd Saturday of trout season, and all the anglers were out- as well as a few danglers, wandering along the roadways at creekside, noodling around in their pick-em-up trucks, gawking about and generally creatin a nuisance. The crowd at the BS lake was fantastic in its proportions, with even some wheelchair-bound folks out there wettin' a hook, tryin to entice a trout to accept the invitation to dinner.

Having made it thru all that, I swung out to Mt Holly Springs and up into the South Mountain for some... well some more trout fisherpersons, as it turns out. Y'see, there's no shortage of creeks, streams, criks, runs, puddles, drainage ditches, and lakes hereabouts. The South Mountain is no exception to the rule, and the hooks were fairly flyin about the place like so many frisbees. Any bit of water them wily anglers thought there might be a trout lurking, had a gaggle of pick-ups, poles, and people all teeming about.

Had to pee, so I snapped this pic while stopped:

Eventually, the crowd gave way to open roads. Up through the mountain I rode, turning to cross over it, and back out into the Big Valley, riding across PA Rte 233 to cross over the North Mountain into God's Country- Perry County, Pennsyltuckey. Still occasionally dodging trout seekers, passing more than the occasional motorcyclist, I rolled the throttle on and on.

Zig-zagging out across Perry County, I found myself wondering just exactly how a place so beautiful could SMELL so bad? Well of course it's all farm country, and most of them farmers was spreading what we call manure, I suppose with the end-goal (pun intended) of having all that bovine offal kinda re-fortify the ground that their chemicals have stripped of its original essence... but I digress.

Out across God's Country I did ride, smiling in spite of the smell. I meandered along detours, slithered down by-ways, and rolled on into yet another mountain, crossing up over PA rte 850, stopping at the top for some pix.

Up and over the ridge I went, down into some other county... Franklin? Hmmm. not sure, actually. I hot-footed it down to PA Rte 75, and turned east. This is pure Amish country here, but somehow, I passed nary a buggy out here where the speed limit also happens to match the hiway number (shhh! don't tell- it's a secret that few are hip to). I flippin FLEW down "75" going, well, you know. I began to measure the sun's angle, combining that with the lengthening shadows and deduced that it was getting on in the day. Exercising SOME good sense, I made a right turn onto hiway 74, and back up over the ridge I went, marveling some more to myself on just how little traffic there ever is out here in God's Country. Guess he don't like cars, or had everyone (and I mean EVERYone) on a mission for trout 50 miles south, or whatever. Anyway, there's a couple of my fave curves over here on this stretch so I stopped again to get a piccie or two.

Up, over, back down and around I went into Perry County proper, winding south for a ways. I turned east, picking up Rte 850. Towards the river I went, with the sun peering over my shoulder, as if watching my speedo. Following my shadow, I eventually wound up also following some rolling roadblock on a... you guessed it- Hardley Ableson- and lemme tell ya he was moving a LOT slower than my shadow had been just a few happy moments ago. He turned off sooner rather than later, so me and my shadow sped back up, only to run right up on another similar rolling roadlbock... Honestly. I mean what IS it with these @$$holes doing the SPEED LIMIT?!?

Taking the hint, I veered off onto a pleasant little road that winds thru its own secret valley. I seriously could have been killed, as I came around a bend to find some knucklehead fully and completely on MY SIDE of the road in his BIG ass car... Man if I'd been a few seconds ahead of myself...or if the sun had been lower my shadow coulda been kilt... I mean it was that close. Hmmm, maybe those rolling roadblocks had SOME purpose after all, eh? Anyway I'd slowed down for the run along this valley, eventually coming out at the River's edge, below Marysville. Down river I did ride, with the train tracks betwixt me and the cold water of the Mighty Susquehanna.

It was a sweet little hop down to Wormleysburg, and back up the big hill to the Sky Pad. I hopped off the bike, and got a pic of this:

and this

and this

Didn't take too many pix, so I had to make a load of shi... er I mean stuff up to add SOME substance to this here yarn.

Path: Lemoyne to New Cumberland via Bridge St> 114 thru Lisburn> along the Yellow Breeches to Boiling Springs> Mt Holly> 34S veering off towards Michaux State Forest> 233 thru Newville> 850/274 to Blain> over the mountain on 850> 75 to 74> back to 850> New Valley Road> U.S.11/15 back to Wormleysburg. 171.8 miles of smiles.

ricochetrider screwed with this post 04-07-2013 at 06:37 PM
Old 04-07-2013, 06:32 PM   #11
murdock84
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 550
Did you find any of those Perry County scumbags the Harrisburg mayor talks about? She's not too bright!
murdock84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 04:24 PM   #12
ricochetrider OP
a certain something

Wicked

No I didn't find any but I know a few!
A crew of my buddies from up there are now officially calling themselves the Perry County Scumbags.
Old 04-09-2013, 10:59 PM   #13
chrish4ku
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 757
Nice photos and report! Different than Cali for sure.
2011 KTM 990 Adventure / KTM 500 EXC
Chris' Sat Tracker
chrish4ku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 05:32 PM   #14
JaxObsessed
RushMoran....... :D

Oddometer: 12,603
Nice RR
I'm enjoying this thread.
Home turf.
Thanks.
JaxObsessed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 06:06 PM   #15
chasbo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,535
Lots of places I haven't been to yet...I am liking this!