ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 21 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-07-2013, 08:38 AM   #76
RobbieO
Muskokatard

Oddometer: 7,492
Yup, tried it....
The Garmin Communicator plug-in window won't come up....

I was able to convert the tracks file to a route, but it will only load the first 50 points (out of 850) onto my stupid gps....
Old 04-30-2013, 10:49 AM   #77
Boston Bagger
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic578 View Post
I'm turning to the experts here since my attempts to figure this out have fallen short (more than once). How can I transfer a ROUTE in Google Maps into my Garmin 2610, or any model for that matter?

Many thanks in advance!
MAPQUEST RULES

I was getting ready to head out to the Leesburg Bikefest which has a lot of roads to ride on that I wanted to plot out before and. I found that Google Maps was next to impossible to use and export routes to a Garmin. I think that Garmin is worried about Google with their Android phone connection - and then I found MapQuest makes it easy as hell.

It is by far the best method to route out a track and then export it to your Garmin, giving each route it's own unique name. It was simply, easy create routes with custom back roads use, and then export directly to a Garmin with no need for external resources.

Once you create a route, you simply click the SEND button and select GARMIN GPS in the provided drop-down menu. Its was pretty darn easy.
Boston Bagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:21 AM   #78
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,136
Dang ... I had not thought of MapQuest....

Does the "standard" warning to insert a fair number of waypoints along the route still apply - so that if the garmin does an internal "route recalculation" (if you go off-course for example) it won't screw up your carefully planned back-road adventure?

Any other tips?

I was about ready to buy Microsoft Streets & trips ... from some comments back around post #54 of this thread but maybe not....

My buddy does have our summer ride already punched into an older version of MSST though....
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 12:56 AM   #79
MeinMotorrad
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 972
All of this makes you wonder why Google don't just produce gps devices? I'd buy one.
MeinMotorrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 05:25 AM   #80
Mattbastard
Lazy ass

Oddometer: 1,956
After my last group ride I discovered I could use a GPS. I already have a TomTom One with RAM mount and I was determined to make it work how I needed. There's no waypoint adder to this device, and the new TomTom Routes program dosn't support Waypoints either, so I downloaded Tyre. This program is a little slow, but it works perfectly.

Unrelated to this, I did have to hack the One to open up Itinerary Planning, but that's another story. After I unlocked this feature I was able to access the loaded maps I created in Tyre. Just make sure you put every waypoint you think you'll need because the TomTom will configure its own quick route between waypoints if you're not specific.
Mattbastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 06:59 AM   #81
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

MSST update.......

Just an update:

Ok ... my out-west ride is coming up pretty quickly...
My riding buddy has painstakingly created our route in MSST 2009.

I have bought the 2013 version of MSST
(from Amazon for $21 bucks, so not a big loss if it doesn't work out)

He is going sent me the route to import in to MSST 2013 then I will export to GPX file.

From reading here and in other places ... Garmin devices do not "like" the MSST export files as the contain lines:

<time> xxx </time>

in the file which confuse the Garmin devices …

they can be edited out manually with notepad but it’s a PITA!

Tyre has been reported as being able to fix this:
http://www.tyretotravel.com/start-tyre/

And so has GPSBabel which is an open-source GNU project,
It runs on Windows, MAC, and Linux:

http://www.gpsbabel.org/download.html

I've not tried either of these yet, but will be doing so shortly.
Having used one of them to clean up the GPX file, it appears the easiest way get the file loaded in your Garmin is to place it on the folder: <X>:\Garmin\GPX

Then do the “safe remove” the GPS from computer
unplug the GPS’s USB cable and wait for reboot
Go to: Tools --> My data --> Import routes and have at it………….

I am running low on time here, so any suggestions or comments about landmines I'm about to step on would be appreciated.

One thing that is not clear to me is how the route is "segmented" by MSST or if it just comes down as one big file for the 2-week ride....
Old 06-02-2013, 08:31 AM   #82
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

MSST update update

I just passed two short GPX files with 3 or 4 waypoints to my Nuvi 500
The first was a GPX export from MSST 2013 "as is" ...
I looked at it in notepad It did have the <time> ... </time> markers in it
The file was one long line of text with no line breaks....

The second file was the same GPX file after running it thru GPSBabel.
GPSBabel stripped out the <time> markers and reformatted the file so that each waypoint was on a new line so much easier to work with in notepad if you wanted to do that ........

but long story short both versions of the file were converted to routes by Nuvi 500 without error ...

So maybe Garmin updated the firmware in the Nuvi to ignore the <time> issue?
Or maybe it's just MapSource / BaseCamp that care about the <time> items and the GPS it's self doesn't care?

JRWooden screwed with this post 06-02-2013 at 09:03 AM
Old 07-13-2013, 12:51 PM   #83
Charrito
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRZ Charlie View Post
Here is a short video on how to transfer Google Maps to a Garmin Gps. Linked because it auto plays.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_p1x-fL2zc

Also see: http://my.garmin.com/locate/google-sendtoGPSHelp.htm

The following tutorial is easy. Just save the file as a .gpx file. If you for some reason want in .gdb format open the converted file in MapSource and do a "save as" .gdb file.

• Create a new Map in Google Maps. For this, click on My Maps:
  • Then click on “Create new map”. Put a suitable name to your map:
  • Now you can add placemarks, either by searching for them, or by right clicking and selecting “Add a placemark” anywhere in the map. The added placemarks for the map will show up on the left side:
  • After all the placemarks/waypointshave been added, get the link for your saved map. You can get the link from the top right corner:
  • Then go to http://www.takitwithme.com/ and insert the Google Map link into the textbox. Click “Load MyMap” and TakeItWithMe will load all the placemarks from your Google Map.
  • Click on the Download GPX button, and you should be able to save all the Google Placemarks as a .gpx file. This .gpx file can be converted into different GPS formats. In our case, we need to convert it to a .gpx format.
  • For Windows users, you can use the POI Loader directly to load the GPX file into your Garmin GPS. Or, you can save the file to your desktop and drag it into the right pane of MapSource.
  • For Linux users, the GPX file needs to be converted into GPI format, and manually loaded. For this, use gpsbabel.
Charrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 03:41 AM   #84
KaytM
Just a fella.

Oddometer: 202
I don't know how to put a youtube window up here??
Here's the link though...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPvV_c1M8yc
Old 02-20-2014, 01:10 AM   #85
Icy_
Stationary Traveller

Oddometer: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Bagger View Post
MAPQUEST RULES

I was getting ready to head out to the Leesburg Bikefest which has a lot of roads to ride on that I wanted to plot out before and. I found that Google Maps was next to impossible to use and export routes to a Garmin. I think that Garmin is worried about Google with their Android phone connection - and then I found MapQuest makes it easy as hell.

It is by far the best method to route out a track and then export it to your Garmin, giving each route it's own unique name. It was simply, easy create routes with custom back roads use, and then export directly to a Garmin with no need for external resources.

Once you create a route, you simply click the SEND button and select GARMIN GPS in the provided drop-down menu. Its was pretty darn easy.

MapQuest?!? I had totally forgot about that one and got side tracked by how amazing google maps with the terrain base map looks. But man, MapQuest can export directly to Garmin?!? I just used it but I still cannot believe my eyes. This is amazing; can't thank you enough. Yet, I can start with one: Thank you brother. Awesome!
Icy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 09:09 AM   #86
Lee R
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
I don't know if it's been mentioned yet but I use the link below. Create your route in google maps and paste the address into the "from web url" line about 2/3rds of the way down. Make sure GPX is selected as output. It will then generate a link for download of the GPX file and you'll need to transfer that to whatever device you use. I use a Nexus 7 Tablet with OSMAND+ but this works on whatever can read .gpx. I use dropbox to transfer so no need to plug anything in.

http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/convert_input

Lee R screwed with this post 02-20-2014 at 09:15 AM
Lee R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 03:58 AM   #87
DonM
Do-dah Do-dah

Oddometer: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee R View Post
I don't know if it's been mentioned yet but I use the link below. Create your route in google maps and paste the address into the "from web url" line about 2/3rds of the way down. Make sure GPX is selected as output. It will then generate a link for download of the GPX file and you'll need to transfer that to whatever device you use. I use a Nexus 7 Tablet with OSMAND+ but this works on whatever can read .gpx. I use dropbox to transfer so no need to plug anything in.

http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/convert_input
Using google maps thru chrome, I pasted the URL of a route into the converter and get an error msg-

No valid gps data detected.

There are commas in the URL and I selected that as the delimiter but the link also has "!" In it which may be a delimiter that is not recognized. Any idea as to what is missing?

Another question, this route can be drawn on google maps but in the Garmin database, these roads do not exist so will probably not be displayed. Can I convert the GM route to a track that would display on a Garmin device?

Edit,- looks like I have to use the classic GM site and I indeed got a route on roads that did not appear on the Garmin map set.

Thanks for the info, a little thrashing around and I have what I need thanks to you help!

Regards,
Don m

Regards,
Don m

DonM screwed with this post 02-25-2014 at 04:27 AM
DonM is offline   Reply With Quote