User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2013, 09:46 AM   #586
ringokelly
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Awesome

Great time guys...good ride, good company and no problems to deal with! Lets do it again soon!
ringokelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 07:32 PM   #587
MTNclimber0331
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Bummer!!

Dang Guys, that looked like a lot of fun!! I wish I could have joined you all. Hopefully I'll catch you on the next one!! Cheers.
MTNclimber0331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 09:07 PM   #588
samthg
Sam...I am.

Oddometer: 1,418
Looks like all had a good time.

I sure wish I could had made it. I darn near drove up late Wed pm, but a 6 hour drive would have put in me SG at about 3am. Maybe twenty years ago I may have. But all is not lost for Samthg, I salvaged "a bit of a trip".

I'm curious about Colo City, I haven't been out there in a number of years. Is there fuel out there?

As a fellow KLX owner, how did ringokelly's KLX fuel range work out? Looks like he had a 2 gal on board. I see a problem with his bike, wrong color & no windscreen.

Congratulations RRR on another successful get-together!
samthg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 11:18 PM   #589
RedRockRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,198
Hey Sam -- Next time! I think I still owe you a lunch from a Thunderbird Cafe question long ago.

Colorado City has reliable gas (Sinclair Station). Also a Chevron Station in Apple Valley on the way to Hurricane. None of the guys wanted to eat at the "Merry Wives" cafe in Colorado City. Perhaps too many rumors about breast milk as a creamy sweetner in all the baked goods and desserts. Opted for Mexican in Hurricane instead. Good call.

Ringokelly's range on the KLX I'm sure was fine. We were medium on the throttle going out. Probably got 70+mpg. He definitely needed to carry gas, but I think only a gallon would have been fine. I didn't keep careful track of mileage but I think Toroweap out to Colorado City gas station is 60-65 miles. St. George to Torweap via Schoolhouse was about 100. We all had gas to spare. Don't think anyone even hit reserve until we got back to pavement.

Funny thing, I think Ringokelly also has a red KLX. Keeps it elsewhere. The green one lives in St. George.

RedRockRider - WR250R, TW200, Versys, Vulcan 900 LT, Zuma 125

Southwest Utah: Dual Sport Riding from St. George
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=725976
RedRockRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 09:57 AM   #590
red_ryder
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Thumb Toroweap day ride

Thanks to all the inmates we met from St George great hospitality and nice meetin ya the ride back to Mesquite via Elbow canyon was super, no real issues... Back in Edmonton now weather sucks, snow started in Calgary til we got home last nite
red_ryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 10:26 AM   #591
DirtyJohnny
BR 549

Oddometer: 110
Toroweap Ride 4-4-13 Grand Canyon Pics. Lava Falls

DirtyJohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 10:30 AM   #592
DirtyJohnny
BR 549

Toroweap Ride 4-4-13 The "Big Ditch"

Old 04-07-2013, 06:23 PM   #593
NSFW
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 15,684
very nice RR...love that place.

hey StG, it seems you didn't enough riding in dv and you wanted more...

hope to see some of you there next month.
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 09:23 PM   #594
fly2hi96
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
RRR, thanks for setting up this ride... it was a blast!! It was great meeting everyone and I hope we can get together soon for another one.
fly2hi96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 07:22 PM   #595
mountainfever
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
hey RRR , nice meeting up with everyone at Tuweep , too bad we weren't able to head back with you guys , thanks for all the work you have put into this thread , makes it nice for us forieners to come down and soak up some of the nice weather with lots of nice day rides to choose from
mf
Old 04-09-2013, 09:58 PM   #596
chrish4ku
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 715
Nice photos and report!
2011 KTM 990 Adventure / KTM 500 EXC
Chris' Sat Tracker
chrish4ku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 10:22 PM   #597
RedRockRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,198
Thanks, Toroweap Inmates!

Good times. All the pics and comments add to the thread. Also the PMs. Looks like everyone wants to ride again. Didn't work out too badly considering most of started as "internet" friends. If my kid (or wife) said he was going off to meet some friends he met on the internet . . . . . . 80 miles down some dirt road . . . we could have ended up chopped into little pieces . . .

Special shout-out to red_ryder. First post. Always an honor to de-lurk someone. Hope it was good for you, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_ryder View Post
Thanks to all the inmates we met from St George great hospitality and nice meetin ya the ride back to Mesquite via Elbow canyon was super, no real issues... Back in Edmonton now weather sucks, snow started in Calgary til we got home last nite
Here's the map recap. Careful mileage count: St. George to Mt. Trumbull Schoolhouse = 60 miles (depends on where you get gas in St. George). Schoolhouse on to Toroweap = almost 40 more miles. Toroweap out to Colorado City = 60 miles. Total = 160. For Noobs to the thread, index of rides in Post #1.

Bonus pic. Nampaweap Petroglyph from a ride a few years ago. Some of you guys just can't get enough rock art.

After the Toroweap ride spent the weekend hiking in Zion with family. A few pics of the easiest slot canyon in Zion.

Just my son.

Son took this pic of me.

This slot is super easy, dry, very short, and very accessible. No official trail. Not that many people know about it. Stop at small parking lot just at the top of long tunnel. Canyon Overlook trail is the established trail that goes out to the top of the Great Arch. Great hike. Do this if you haven't. Easy. Only about 1/2 mile.

For the slot canyon, scramble down the sand/rock slope at the back of the parking lot behind the outhouse. Only about 50 feet down. This is Pine Creek. If you go down stream under the road bridge you will quickly start the technical part of Pine Creek. This requires serious rappelling and wetsuits. Fine to do take a look, then reverse.

The slot canyon hike goes up the Pine Creek drainage. Also called Clear Creek in some off-trail hiking guides. It is for the most part sandy, smooth and narrow. Beautiful sculpted rock. Dry. You'll see footprints but probably no other people. Proceed up the drainage for 1/2 mile at most. You are parallel to the road and just barely out of sight / sound. There are several breaks in the cliff band where you can scramble out (up to the left) if you want.

The fun way to exit is to stay in the wash until you see this.

Culvert goes under the road. Walk through the culvert then scramble up the road. Walk back down the road to the parking lot by the tunnel. The road distance is 0.3 miles. Hike is totally legal and totally safe. Way tighter slot than the Narrows. Super easy to access. Have fun. Don't go if it is raining.

Also went for a moto ride with Dad. Area west of the Utah Hill. Pics coming. Preview:

Thanks for all the positive comments. Ride safe out there.

RedRockRider - WR250R, TW200, Versys, Vulcan 900 LT, Zuma 125

Southwest Utah: Dual Sport Riding from St. George
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=725976

RedRockRider screwed with this post 04-10-2013 at 07:44 AM
RedRockRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:27 AM   #598
DirtyJohnny
BR 549

Zion Slot Canyon Hike

RRR,

Thanks for posting the info on the Zion Hike. I am always looking for afternoon adventures to do with my wives, kids, grandkids, and friends. We won't even have to ride the shuttle for this one.

Took my favorite wife to the Thunderbird @ Mt. Carmel Jct. last Sunday. The Trout was great! My wife's veggie burger came on a white bun and she had to request a salad instead of french fries. LOL Oh well, I guess the family that runs it are rednecks like meThe Thunderberry pie was great!

I am anxiously awaiting an invite for another inmate ride. Obligations in NE Utah are calling. but not too loud yet.

Sincerely,

DJ (your not so imaginary friend-now)
Old 04-11-2013, 05:34 PM   #599
mountainfever
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
[QUOTE=RedRockRider;21150518]Good times. All the pics and comments add to the thread. Also the PMs. Looks like everyone wants to ride again. Didn't work out too badly considering most of started as "internet" friends. If my kid (or wife) said he was going off to meet some friends he met on the internet . . . . . . 80 miles down some dirt road . . . we could have ended up chopped into little pieces . . .

Special shout-out to red_ryder. First post. Always an honor to de-lurk someone. Hope it was good for you, too.

Here's the map recap. Careful mileage count: St. George to Mt. Trumbull Schoolhouse = 60 miles (depends on where you get gas in St. George). Schoolhouse on to Toroweap = almost 40 more miles. Toroweap out to Colorado City = 60 miles. Total = 160. For Noobs to the thread, index of rides in Post #1.

I think our mileage from Mesquite via Limekiln pass to Toroweap and back to Mesquite via Elbow canyon ran about 230 miles , fuel lights were on by the time we got into town , we were getting thirsty too !!!
mf
Old 04-13-2013, 08:37 PM   #600
trevor2k
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Thanks for the heads up on the slot canyon hike. Tried it today since we were going to be in StG anyways. Unfortunately the last rainstorm a few days ago left the slot full of water. Still had a blast though. Ended up doing Zion Canyon Overlook and a couple others in the canyon for the kids.

On a side note, as we were enjoying Cafe Rio on their patio on StG Blvd I saw a crazy cat on a TW heading down the road behind another rider. You out harassing the locals tonight RRR?
trevor2k is offline   Reply With Quote