User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2013, 09:45 AM   #1
bullwheel5 OP
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Question '66 Honda CL 90 ignition question

I was given this bike & it hasn't run in 20+ years. Got most of it going, replaced the usual parts (spark plug, bulbs, battery, fuel lines), cleaned the carb, throttle line, etc. This part is beyond me - The timing is perfect, yet there is only a spark from the plug on the first crank when put up to the engine, so there are no sparks seen from the plug after the first crank. Also the plug is completely dry, even after I have doused the cylinder in starter fluid. So I was thinking its not getting enough gas....WRONG - there is so much gas it is coming out the drain on the tail pipe.
I am thinking it might be a condenser problem (for the spark) & I can't seem to find it. The frame is pressed together & it looks like my only option is to drop the engine, which I would rather not do.

Anything helps - thanks
bullwheel5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 11:24 AM   #2
Beezer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,548
yes... sounds like the condenser. it will be with the points.... prolly left side of the engine (memory check?) anyway, breaker is operated by the cam. there will be a small wire that exits the engine and goes to the coil... follow that wire... should be a cover held on with 2 screws
Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote