ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2013, 04:16 PM   #16
ColorItBlue OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcvance View Post
"Lion's drag strip" on race days we could hear the rumble of the nitro burners from my house in North Long Beach at Artesia & Alantic.....In the late 60's to early 70's they were building the 91 freeway 1 block north of my house, we had lots of fresh dirt to ride during the early stages of construction.
Yup, that 91 freeway construction kicked us off our dairy farm and we had to move to Long Beach. Of course, that worked out for me since it placed me adjacent to a great riding area. At first, in elementary school we rode our Schwinn StingRay bicycles around out in those oil fields. Once or twice some good samaritan actually let us ride their moto and at that point we were hooked. Briggs & Stratton 3 hp with a torque converter and a rear wheel scrub brake was all anybody had except for some hotshot in junior high with a Hodaka 90.
ColorItBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 12:18 PM   #17
northsouth15
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 194
wow you guys rock...I grew up in MA and that is what riding was like as a 12 year old

since I moved to Long Beach last December, every time I drive past those oil fields I have dreams of sneaking my dirtbike into there

but it seems like all the good dirt riding was in the 70's and 80's...get into the 90's and they're all subways and shopping centers, and by now they're all gone...

back in MA there are still a few illegal but "tolerated" places (power lines behind the shopping center and vice versa) where people just didn't know about it, so you never got hassled

is there anything like that nearby long beach anymore? illegal, but "tolerated"?

northsouth15 screwed with this post 04-03-2013 at 12:24 PM
northsouth15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 05:20 PM   #18
pcvance
Walk Verplank

Oddometer: 4,567
Quote:
Originally Posted by northsouth15 View Post
wow you guys rock...I grew up in MA and that is what riding was like as a 12 year old

since I moved to Long Beach last December, every time I drive past those oil fields I have dreams of sneaking my dirtbike into there

but it seems like all the good dirt riding was in the 70's and 80's...get into the 90's and they're all subways and shopping centers, and by now they're all gone...

back in MA there are still a few illegal but "tolerated" places (power lines behind the shopping center and vice versa) where people just didn't know about it, so you never got hassled

is there anything like that nearby long beach anymore? illegal, but "tolerated"?
Try Rowher Flats. 45 minute drive from Long Beach if the traffic isn't to bad.

There is a thread about it in the west section.

I don't know about any closer stuff, I havnt lived there since 1981.
Old 04-03-2013, 06:15 PM   #19
northsouth15
Gnarly Adventurer

only 68 miles north, I'll have to check it out! thanks!
Old 04-04-2013, 01:25 PM   #20
ColorItBlue OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:

I like the area between Hesperia and Big Bear (which is legal) but the drive out there is not that fun. I think all the bootleg local areas have been shut down long ago. They would probably close me down if I still had the backyard mini track around the trees and under the treehouse. I'll look for a pic I have of that one from 1969 running the Suzuki 50.
Old 04-06-2013, 07:42 AM   #21
Cannabinoid
Banned

Oddometer: 739
this message is self destructing...

Cannabinoid screwed with this post 01-01-2014 at 09:19 AM
Cannabinoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 02:08 PM   #22
pcvance
Walk Verplank

In 1980 I bought a 1979 XT500, my first true dual sport.
One of my favorite local places to ride was Rancho Palos Verdes, back then you could sneak around the hills and canyons. I dont think you could get into much dirt today, I was checking it out on Google, the Radar site at the top of the hill is surrounded by high dollar homes now. Alot happens in 32 years. I wish I still had that 500, sold it in 1985......
Old 04-07-2013, 09:05 AM   #23
northsouth15
Gnarly Adventurer

so there are no areas like this anymore?

-the trails near the railroad tracks
-the woods behind the industrial/shopping center
-the "no-man's land" gravel/grassy area adjacent to the freeway
-the big field with nobody living nearby

I'd buy a small plated dirt bike if I can sneak into a couple places like this near long beach
Old 04-07-2013, 11:32 AM   #24
ColorItBlue OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
so there are no areas like this anymore?

-the trails near the railroad tracks
-the woods behind the industrial/shopping center
-the "no-man's land" gravel/grassy area adjacent to the freeway
-the big field with nobody living nearby

I'd buy a small plated dirt bike if I can sneak into a couple places like this near long beach
I've looked at the area south of Willow and west of the 605, seems to be a pretty good piece of dirt down to the 405, accessible by a tunnel under Willow just east of El Dorado Park...

Also, southeast of the 710/405 junction...
Old 04-07-2013, 11:45 AM   #25
dunerat
WTF?

Oddometer: 14,113
Yessir!along the 710 fwy and beyond. 70s for me
Old 04-07-2013, 12:19 PM   #26
pcvance
Walk Verplank

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunerat View Post
Yessir!along the 710 fwy and beyond. 70s for me
Yup, rode there alot in the 70's, we called it "the flood", took the LA river bed from Artesia down to that spot @ the 405/710 jct.
We had a couple of Z50s and my older brother had a Bultaco Pursang 250.
Old 04-07-2013, 12:49 PM   #27
adventurebound9517
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 265
I was in the area of Ascot park in the mid 60's and several friends and I would ride on the corner of 182nd and Vermont where we would hold circle track races everyday with our Yamaha 80's. We would also ride our bikes over to Dominguez which is now Cal State Dominguez. It was a great time for sure. My friend Tom, his dad used to call the Friday night flat track races at Ascot park.
adventurebound9517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 04:20 PM   #28
dunerat
WTF?

Oddometer: 14,113
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcvance View Post
Yup, rode there alot in the 70's, we called it "the flood", took the LA river bed from Artesia down to that spot @ the 405/710 jct.
We had a couple of Z50s and my older brother had a Bultaco Pursang 250.
73 xr 75 with stock stealthy exhaust
Old 04-08-2013, 03:45 PM   #29
northsouth15
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColorItBlue View Post
I've looked at the area south of Willow and west of the 605, seems to be a pretty good piece of dirt down to the 405, accessible by a tunnel under Willow just east of El Dorado Park...

Also, southeast of the 710/405 junction...
hmm, I've actually thought about this area every time I drove by it, but haven't explored it enough to find anything

I feel like that's what I'm looking for - no man's land. People don't live there, and you can ride to it and away from it without anyone knowing (unless CHP was viewing from the freeway)

I also drove up the 710 and exited at the 405 just to see - is that the area south of the 405 or is it along the river/channel up the 710?

I saw an entrance/gravel road for it already

northsouth15 screwed with this post 07-21-2013 at 11:10 PM
Old 04-08-2013, 04:12 PM   #30
pcvance
Walk Verplank

Quote:
hmm, I've actually thought about this area every time I drove by it, but haven't explored it enough to find anything

I feel like that's what I'm looking for - no man's land. People don't live there, and you can ride to it and away from it without anyone knowing (unless CHP was viewing from the freeway)

I also drove up the 710 and exited at the 405 just to see - is that the area south of the 405 or is it along the river/channel up the 710?

I saw an entrance/gravel road for it already

now I'm looking for a DR200SE to make this a reality, hahaha
North of the 405 east of the 710, it was access able from the LA river gates back then....There were horse trails and stables along the river and also a bike/jogging path at the top of the river bank. When there were no horses in sight the horse trail was fair game. The concrete river channel was a fun riding too, we would carve up and down the steep banks.

pcvance screwed with this post 04-08-2013 at 07:35 PM
pcvance is online now   Reply With Quote