Forma Adventure Boot

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by KilLeR Kawasaki, Mar 19, 2013.

1. KilLeR Kawasaki

KilLeR Kawasaki Marky A

Oddometer:
    Atomic Moto does a seemingly honest review of this very good looking boot. I like the other Forma boots as well. I don't have the boots, but I like the looks of them.

Forma Adventure Boot

[​IMG]
  2. Ozav8r

Ozav8r Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    They are outstanding boots! Very sturdy and so comfy you can dismount the bike and proceed on foot to the top of the mountain without changing boots:wink: Seriously though - you can certainly hang around the campsite in the Adventure boots all evening without feeling the need to remove them. They also give outstanding protection while riding and are COMPLETELY WATERPROOF. Love'em:clap
  3. knobbyjoe

knobbyjoe Adventure and dirt rider

Oddometer:
    The Forma Adv boots have a larger and higher toe box than my other riding boots.

How does the boot perform shifting the bike.

Thanks
  4. Ozav8r

Ozav8r Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    As you said - they are a bit bigger around the toe area, so I suppose it depends on the geometry of your steed. I ride a 1150GS with the Touratech adjustable Footpegs installed in its lowest (most forward) position, and have no issues with shifting the gears - in fact hadn't even thought about it until the question was asked. Build quality of these boots are just outstanding and I reckon they'll last a decade or more!
  5. bwringer

bwringer Gimpy, Yet Alacritous

Oddometer:
    Oh damn, those are pure hot sex in the brown leather.

WANT. :tb
  6. CatTomb

CatTomb Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I bought a pair of the Forma Terrain TX from Atomic on the advice of Brian. I tried on several pair and have owned Alpinestars Tech 8's.

The Forma fit great. Super comfortable and instantly flexible. I have a wide foot and big calves. These boots felt like old friends.

I've had them about 5 months and rode them in heat, rain, mud and snow. They perform great and still look and feel new.

Great boots, very fair price/value and Atomic is always a pleasure to deal with.:wings
  7. ABHooligan

ABHooligan The Flying Mythos

Oddometer:
    I bought a pair of these on ebay Australia a couple years ago, before they were available here. Outstanding boots, required very little break-in time, and they are comfortable enough for short hikes away from the bike. The only time their waterproof claim has failed me is wading in over the tops of the boot gussets. I can't recommend them enough. Plus the brown makes me feel like Mad Max on a dirt bike.
  8. Nailhead

Nailhead Puck Futin Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wish those were available when I bought my Balance Oiled's. I would have bought the Forma's for their increased foot protection.
  9. lqgsrider

lqgsrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I bought the brown ones a couple of months ago and now have over 1,000 miles on them - good boots. Very comfortable and I have worn them all day on and off the bike. No break in period required. I would highly recommend my only concern is the sole isn't a replaceable type of sole.
  10. in2dabluz

in2dabluz ARTFUL DODGER

Oddometer:
    I'm torn btwn the TCX INFINITY GTX and this FORMA.. but from what is being said, these seems to 'rule'.

Tough decision...
  11. XRman

XRman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Iwas wearing my Forma boots when I did a lowside crash and my foot was caught under the bike. I had a sore foot for a few weeks but at least it wasn't fractured this time. My Alpine star tech 3 did not give me such lateral protection and that crash resulted in a cast for 6 weeks on the foot.

Crash rating:pass.
  12. Pete-NZ

Pete-NZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Best ADV boot I have ever put on... soft , flexable right out of the box & yer can even walk in them.. a real walk..
    even good on the trials bike...
  13. sidetrack one

sidetrack one Chief Tiddler Supporter

Oddometer:
    Very popular boot here in Australia, best boots I've ever had,totally waterproof, can walk to all those tourist attractions along the way with ease,I've even worn mine to the club!:D
    Only thing for me, I had a tag sewn on the back to assist with pulling them on:deal
    Highly recommended!

[​IMG]
  14. notrivia

notrivia Banned

Oddometer:
    Boots, like many industrial articles, are often not produced by their "apparent" manufacturers. Let me give you an example - years ago I almost bought an expensive cordura jacket made by Vanson leathers. Well, Vanson was SELLING it, but they were not making it, although they're advertising certainly left that impression. It was actually made in Pakistan! So much for the apparent "Made in America" ploy.

In fact the "Forma" boot appears to have much the same structure as the BMW Santiago boot, The TCX Adventure boot, and others I can't remember. The point? It's just Marketing fellow adv'ers! Sellers are not necessarily manufacturers. They are just sales organizations. They find a "chassis" for a product that fits their marketing scheme, and have it produced with their particular nomenclature and "H20-proof" liner. Then they market it as something exclusive and their own particular development. They lie.

So, why am I telling you this? Because these types of operations are only profit motive oriented. They would just as soon change they're name and re-market under another name when a product fails to avoid the loss of income from their insincere warranty.

I bought the "Forma" boot under the cognomen Oxtar at a great discount. I was initially very happy with the comfort, the looks and the H20 proof.
    Then it fell apart. If I had bought it at full price I would have been wroth.

So my suggestion is that you do not buy boots from mass marketing company's that sell everything. They are not manufacturers. Buy from the actual maker. Sidi is one. Aerostich, which commissioned a Sidi boot is another. And Gaerne. And get boots with sewn -on soles. Glued soles are inherently weak. And they will fail, looking perfectly fine, just when you need them!
  15. Brtp4

Brtp4 Powdercoat it. Supporter

Oddometer:
    With all due respect, and with no ill will intended, some of what you say is not accurate. Forma boots was founded by Ivano and Simonetta Binotto, in Altivole, Italy, back in the mid 1990's. I have been to their factory many, many times. In my opinion, Mr. Binotto is 90% product person / 10% other, and has sacrificed some success as a result.

They have no connection with Oxtar, which is the prior name of the TCX brand. Oxtar was forced to change their "brand" to TCX as a result of a lawsuit by Alpinestars, which they lost. Oxtar / TCX is a business unit of Jolly Scarpe, a large manufacturer of industrial and safety footwear from Montebelluna, Italy (where I used to live).

Both Forma and TCX have their own factories and their own R+D.

Because BMW does not own a boot factory, they follow the common business model of going to established factories to build their products. Forma and (to my knowledge) TCX have both built boots for BMW. BMW is a picky and discerning client, nomination for this task is not trivial.

As you suggest, Aerostitch follows the same business model to build one of their boots, using Sidi as a manufacturer.

For reference, I lived in that area for several years. There are multiple boot brands / factories there, along with a huge support network of component and material suppliers. Employees occasionally move from one company to another. Friends and families cross company lines. This can be confusing, and can lead to misconceptions as to who is whom.

Your other opinions are your own, and I respect them. I just wanted to clarify the factory ownership and differences.

BP
  16. notrivia

notrivia Banned

Oddometer:
    Thankyou Atomic Moto for your correction.

I love your video's by the way.
  17. Brtp4

Brtp4 Powdercoat it. Supporter

Oddometer:
    No worries.....your perspective on the industry, especially some players, is an informed one. All good.

BP
  18. Boro128

Boro128 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ordered with boot choice and sizing help from Atomic Moto for riding my 800 XC.

With calves larger than most and metric sizing concerns, I was most pleased with the fit and comfort during my three day trip.

A very comfortable and feature laden boot for a minimal amount of money.
  19. sidetrack one

sidetrack one Chief Tiddler Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just did a serious wet weather ride, 9 in the group, 3 had Formas, we all had dry tootsies at the end of the day, the other guys........not so much!:D
  20. Goingforsound

Goingforsound Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Right now this model is spot on what I am looking for!

However I have really big calves that dont fit most of on the market boots.

The forma are not stock around my place so I would like to confirm that they will fit my 18.5-19'' circumference calves?