Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-21-2010, 06:10 PM   #46
Orangecicle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotmamaandme
can I get some honest answers and if possible unbiased opinions/thoughts about your KTM’s abilities.
It's the best bike I've ever owned, and I've owned a few.

Quote:
How about a list of questions and those that would could you answer the questions that you have an answer to?
What the . . . . Huh?

Quote:
I haven’t really seen any high mileage KTM 950 or 990’s are they out there?
Some. Pyndon is way up there. I've heard of 150K without major issues. I've seen posts in the forum celebrating 50K and 75K on 2004 machines. I have a measly 26K without any issues.

Quote:
Longevity, dependability, reliability?
Pyndon tore his engine down at . . . dunno, 90K or so to fix an oil leak. Generally, it didn't have any appreciable wear (other than the leak).

Quote:
What about the water pump issues any real issues or just over publicized?
Something you do about every 16K or so to be safe.

Quote:
Can you ride it every day and not have to fiddle with it?
I ride mine every day. I've been working on jetting, which requires a lot of teardown. Otherwise, I've not done anything to the bike but ride it and farkle it.

Quote:
Will the frame take a heavy load like luggage and a passenger?
Many do. Mine hasn't.

Quote:
Will it go to Alaska and back or through Copper Canyon Mexico with mo worries?
Better than pretty much any other bike, IMHO. A couple of guys just rode their Adventures the length of Africa. You can find their postings on the Crush.

Quote:
How about fuel range on a tank of Gas? Some times on trips its 700 miles or more on the boring highway.
I run about 150-160 to the first sign of the light, but my bike is heavily jetted right now, and I live in cold-arse Iowa.

Quote:
Is it comfortable for an all day slab ride to get some where and then have fun?
Seating position is great. Some complain about the seat. Some complain about wind buffeting off of the screen. I'm stock on both, and I don't have a problem. I have the old Corbin seat, which I don't like, so I stick with stock. I also ride with a Shoei RF-1100, which is about the best in terms of being slippery in the air.

Quote:
Will it go all the way around with mo major issues?
'Round what? I'm like you -- I ride to work every day I can (every day that ain't icy, here). It's a solid bike in that regard -- although not that fun to paddle backwards into the parking spot if it's uphill! That's nice, but then, load up the panniers and go camping or fly fishing on the weekends. While you're there, drop off the bags and tear up a trail or so. Ride it home. Repeat.
Orangecicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:25 PM   #47
montibank
Happy

Oddometer: 2,708
Great thread - deserves ressurection... Looking at an 04 so really ... Top ends at 60k are not unreasonable to expect? The one I am looking at has been ridin just as it aught to be I think put best by sstewart:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstewart View Post
Ride it like you are mad at it,fix and repeat. It really works for me.
I plan on doing the same thing - on the weekends. Weekdays it will get me to work, 220 days (ish) out of the year. I don't mind high mileage bikes - I have an 08 530 with 14k ish on it (not original build but I never expected it to be). I do need this one to be fairly reliable though. I can afford to rebuild it about every three years of operation. I do not want to be rebuilding it less than every two years.

Oh and what gives on fuel mileage ... Yall are reporting anything from ~25mpg to 47mpg... Really? Next adv. search "KTM 950 Mileage Thread"
montibank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:52 AM   #48
inte
neophyte serendipity

Oddometer: 2,735
Well over 55,000 miles on my '05. Huge amount of serious US/Mexico offroading involved - no major issues.

Other than expected wear items (brake pads, chain/sprockets, water pump, etc...) I've replaced the rear wheel & sprocket carrier bearings ... that's about it.

Just decided to replace the clutch plates due to milage ... everything is still well within spec in spite of the use. Pretty impressive...

Twitter: @adventurephotog
Instagram: @adventurephotog
inte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:15 AM   #49
Deviant666
Present

Oddometer: 513
Quote:
Originally Posted by jalencar View Post

My will run aprox. about 260 miles on a tank of gas.

Let me know if you want any more detail.

Take care.

John
The only way that can happen is when descending from mount Everest...more like 160 miles per gas tank...very lightly on throttle too...my bike is very reliable at 45k miles...I might need to replace clutch plates as they seem to "drag" a bit lately...otherwise a couple of mc failures and that's about it....
Old 03-27-2013, 03:39 PM   #50
inte
neophyte serendipity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deviant666 View Post
The only way that can happen is when descending from mount Everest...more like 160 miles per gas tank...very lightly on throttle too...my bike is very reliable at 45k miles...I might need to replace clutch plates as they seem to "drag" a bit lately...otherwise a couple of mc failures and that's about it....
I'll second that... to a point. I've hit reserve at ~130 miles before, and have also got over 190 miles out of a tank. With the 950, seems to really depend on your riding style. More dirt = less miles, more slab = better economy. I've never pushed the bike much past 200 miles with the reserve light blinking so 260 seems nutty, but the fuel here on the west coast is crap which very well might account for that. Fuel economy improves drastically when I'm in Mexico.

P.S., re: your clutch plates, see above... you might be surprised :)
Old 03-27-2013, 06:48 PM   #51
nikkyver
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
I got a 2005, yes I put in a water pump @ around 17,000, A clutch (my fault cause I lost a piece changing levers and it burnt up), Torque limiter, starter cause it's always been a bitch to start (mostly cause of SAS at new- fixed shortly after) and other misc. maintenance issues. My daily driver cause I can't stand riding in a cage. Stuff breaks and I get it fixed(or do it myself) replaced the neutral sensor(change the contact & spring in shifter barrel if you do). Still getting around 43-44mpg regularly, only in the high 30's if running knobbies Just replaced the water pump again (CJ's right proper stuff). And it's tickling the 63,000 mark. I've had 7 so far, no KTM till this one, Can't see myself having anything else.....
nikkyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 04:58 AM   #52
Deviant666
Present

Oddometer: 513
Quote:
Originally Posted by inte View Post
I'll second that... to a point. I've hit reserve at ~130 miles before, and have also got over 190 miles out of a tank. With the 950, seems to really depend on your riding style. More dirt = less miles, more slab = better economy. I've never pushed the bike much past 200 miles with the reserve light blinking so 260 seems nutty, but the fuel here on the west coast is crap which very well might account for that. Fuel economy improves drastically when I'm in Mexico.

P.S., re: your clutch plates, see above... you might be surprised :)
Your 950 tanks take about 1 liter more fuel than mine...but R map (even with 17/42 on long trips) gives back at best 6 liters/100 km which is at 60-70mph cruising speed (very boring - not doable in my book). Even with these preasumptions the range would be around 300km-320km (with 19.5 liters tank) which translates to roughly 185miles. Less than 5l/100 is something unheard of for the 9xx adventures...this is what a GS800 would give back...so you guys must be doing something wrong calculating your consumption...
Old 03-28-2013, 05:06 AM   #53
kingrj
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 321
My '05 950 has over 40,000 miles and the only "failures" I have had are rear brake master cylinder which was fixed by the factory upgrade and I had a bad radiator cap and have replaced two water pump seals. The chain and sprockets seem to last only about 15,000 miles and changing the oil is a pain in the ass but other than that..no issues. Best all-round bike I have ever owned..this is the only one I have kept this long..Just finished checking the valve clearances for the third time and for the third time I never had to change a shim.

RJK
kingrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:03 AM   #54
Bob59601
Bob59601

Oddometer: 58
http://www.cycleworld.com/2013/03/28...-the-original/

"When riding my old Harley a ninety per at midnight down the Via Roma in Naples, I kept one consolation firmly in mind: If anything goes wrong, I'll never have time to regret it." -Edward Abbey
Bob59601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 03:39 PM   #55
inte
neophyte serendipity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob59601 View Post
I got to ride with Jimmy & Casey McCoy on a DV run when Jimmy L was running that KTM. I was on my 2005 950 & it was awesome to see a much earlier model, ridden much harder than mine, still performing better than any other bike in its class could.

Old 04-05-2013, 11:33 AM   #56
montibank
Happy

On my way to look at an '04 with 42k on the odo, if all looks good I'm taking home. If things go bad I am gonna blame yall for being dishonest FF'ers haha.

Whish me luck!
Old 04-05-2013, 01:54 PM   #57
gefr
Life is a trip

Oddometer: 3,704
Have a look at the center stand mounting holes.

This is where mine and others cracked at the frame. If you find it cracked you better avoid all the hassle of getting the frame replaced under warranty. You will probably get it but why bother?
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82334

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45366

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=171986

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=650046

Cheers
Clutch master cylinder resleeving
Out of office 25 till 4th August
gefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 01:56 PM   #58
Hamburgler
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Hey all,starting to plan for a RTW trip in two years ,im back and forth on which bike,the 990 being one the potential bikes i would buy.Can anyone with newer 990's chime in on their reliability?
Hamburgler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 09:25 PM   #59
montibank
Happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gefr View Post
This is where mine and others cracked at the frame. If you find it cracked you better avoid all the hassle of getting the frame replaced under warranty. You will probably get it but why bother?
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82334

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45366

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=171986

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=650046

Cheers
Checked I am good. Almost wanna take the centerstand off with the amount of punishment I am planning on offroad... Especually if there is a position switch on it to kill the motor. I have the side stand relocator in a box gonna mount that up soon... But got some TLC to do to make her sea worthy first.
Old 10-02-2013, 10:32 PM   #60
Cafe Racer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by montibank View Post
On my way to look at an '04 with 42k on the odo, if all looks good I'm taking home. If things go bad I am gonna blame yall for being dishonest FF'ers haha.

Whish me luck!
Planning on picking up an 04 with 41k on the clock. Apparently the bike was recently serviced and checked out at Scuderia San Francisco. Still has the original water pump and it is still operating without issues.

Miguel