User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2013, 09:54 PM   #1
realmc OP
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Recommendations for Riding gear needed for Laos in May

I am doing a 2 week or so loop in Laos from mid May. Conditions will be around 33dg Celsius 80% humidity and monsoon rain for an hour or three per day on average

My current riding gear is street orientated. I have a textile danese jacket with average ventilation(4 zips) but good protection.
I have a full faced helmet and Daytona travel star GTX Goretex boots.

looking at a 250cc.

I have limited off road experience so will probably stick to roads and dirt tracks and will not be hammering it.
I have ridden scooters in Bali, vietnam, thailand so used to asian road rules or lack there of.

Have done some searches and it seems pressure suits are popular.

If I am going to have to buy gear would prefer something i can use again. I may not get much use out of a pressure suite but a ventilated, mesh jacket with armour seems a likely option.

As for pants any recomendations, again with protection and airflow in mind?

I'm happy with my goretex boots as they are great to walk in but not as much protection as Mx boots.

Im using a Giant Loop great basin bag.

Any input appreciated,

Cheers,

Jimmy
realmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:00 PM   #2
realmc OP
n00b

No offence but at ride asia got awesome response. Head over there if your looking for SEA info
Old 01-15-2013, 03:06 PM   #3
Malindi
Zen Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,385
Quote:
Originally Posted by realmc View Post
No offence but at ride asia got awesome response. Head over there if your looking for SEA info
Linky?
Old 01-15-2013, 03:15 PM   #4
Malindi
Zen Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,385
Quote:
Originally Posted by realmc View Post
I am doing a 2 week or so loop in Laos from mid May. Conditions will be around 33dg Celsius 80% humidity and monsoon rain for an hour or three per day on average

My current riding gear is street orientated. I have a textile danese jacket with average ventilation(4 zips) but good protection.
I have a full faced helmet and Daytona travel star GTX Goretex boots.

looking at a 250cc.

I have limited off road experience so will probably stick to roads and dirt tracks and will not be hammering it.
I have ridden scooters in Bali, vietnam, thailand so used to asian road rules or lack there of.

Have done some searches and it seems pressure suits are popular.

If I am going to have to buy gear would prefer something i can use again. I may not get much use out of a pressure suite but a ventilated, mesh jacket with armour seems a likely option.

As for pants any recomendations, again with protection and airflow in mind?

I'm happy with my goretex boots as they are great to walk in but not as much protection as Mx boots.

Im using a Giant Loop great basin bag.

Any input appreciated,

Cheers,

Jimmy
Fully vented mesh, light hiking boots, thin leather gloves. I rode around Pakistan, Iran, Thailand etc. in the warm season and anyhting less than fully vented will leave you cooking the moment you stop moving.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:49 PM   #5
250txc
250TXC

Oddometer: 200
Different place but here in the Philippines, almost anything black in color will be too hot ... And the rains here are normally short in duration and WARM ... I've been so hot before on a ride and when it rained on me, steam probably was coming out from under my jersey around my neck and the water felt great ...
250txc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 11:24 AM   #6
yokesman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 448
http://www.rideasia.net/
http://www.gt-rider.com/thailand-mot...um/content.php
yokesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 07:28 PM   #7
canoli
human

Oddometer: 1,519
It's a hot humid place with a 100% chance that it is going to rain so you are going to get wet. You'll be riding at relatively low speed in a crowed and very financially poor but spiritually rich environment. Take a guess

Seriously leave the expensive "summer" gear at home, bring mesh or motocross gear that breaths well, cheap easy to pack and will protect you enough in a get off. Joe Rocket mesh jacket & pants with MX boots will serve you well. I've ridden in Laos, Thailand & Cambodia and this is what worked for me.

Canoli
canoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 11:30 PM   #8
luca9277
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 219
just got back from a week of trail riding in the northern part of Laos, I would definitely recommend MX boots, knee protector and a mesh body armour, if you do ride off road chances are you'll fall off. Don't risk it!

BTW... Laos is one amazing country!
luca9277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:58 AM   #9
PG007
AKA backdoorphil

Oddometer: 322
Get yourself the best Laos GPS map you can buy:

http://www.rideasia.net/motorcycle-f...-released.html
Old 04-06-2013, 04:43 PM   #10
realmc OP
n00b

Thanks for the replies,
cheers
Old 04-07-2013, 10:01 PM   #11
BobPS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 232
I'm in Jakarta, Indonesia, and the climate is similar to that of Laos.
Here's what I wear when I ride my bike, which I do everyday, I commute on my bike rain or shine:

1. Mesh jacket with body armor and back protector, or denim jacket with separate strap-on elbow and back protector.
If you must wear leather, get a perforated leather jacket. I wore mine during the last dry season, but when the rainy season came, I switched to mesh or denim jacket. With the humidity, leather is just too hot. I wear my leather only for weekend rides, where the traffic is not as bad as in th eweek

2. For pants I wear levi's or ordinary cargo pants, with separate strap-on knee protector.

3. Boots, I wear A* web gore tex boots, though if I buy another pair of boots I will buy a non water-proof leather boots.

BTW, I see back protector as a must wear. In the past, when commutting I didn't always wear one. Sometimes when I wore jackets that don't have pocket for insert back protector, I didn't wear my strap-on forcefield back protector.

Until two weeks ago, when I had a real close call. Some asshole on a scooter rode too fast and almost hit me. He managed to swerve but brushed my left hand and then he lost balance and crashed. If he had been just 2 inch more to the right, he would've hit me and given some nasty bruised ribs and back, or even broken ribs. So after that I always wear back protector, not just to protect me if I fall but more importantly to protect me from impact or blow from behind.
BobPS is offline   Reply With Quote