Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2013, 07:30 AM   #16771
crypto666
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,205
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterthefarmer View Post
I need some advice, I'm sure its been covered here before but here go's.
I have a conversion kit on my XRr( that the previous owner Butchered). I wired the lights and accessories to run off 12v dc sourced from a key switch. I got a hold of a rectifier/regulator to switch the ac to dc to power the battery/ switch. trouble is the R/R has 3 inputs fed from the stater and my bike only has 2. And the regulator on the bike has only one wire coming out to go to the coil and one ground. There is a blue wire coming out of the harness that originally went to the head light, is there a way I could use this wire to feed one leg of the R/R and have 12V dc coming out, or does it need all 3 phases to work?

Let me guess, you found a cheap used R/R from a street bike, Suzuki probably?

Please refer to the xr650r electrical thread, it has lots of poorly organized info.

You need a different R/R. I tried what you are doing to see if it would work a while back. It will not work. Theoretically it should, but I couldn't get it because the r/r had some weird regulation in it that dropped down around the 9v range, which means it needs the third leg to up the voltage.
crypto666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 08:34 AM   #16772
crypto666
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,205
Quote:
Originally Posted by superhobie View Post
Um okay, ride like 15k miles through Desert/Baja/Sierra Single track/Street and everything in between, like that kind of riding? All done with as little clutch as necessary to start and stop and power up technical rocky uphill single track. Feather your clutch in sandy wash not sure on that one but what ever floats your boat. Point is lots of people who have been riding a long time don't use the clutch either for up shifting or down shifting given the right variables and skill level. As for the purpose its one less thing to do that is not necessary and results in a faster shift, if you choose to use your clutch for every shift congrats, but certainly don't imply that in some way it limits other peoples riding I can assure you it doesn't
Really, a 15k mile ride where the goal is to not use the clutch? Interesting objective.

And since you are opposed to feathering the clutch in sandy washes, I assume you start out with a hundred yards of trenching in 1st and 2nd gears? That's neat.

Well I rode about 200 miles of single track and washes this weekend with a few friends. Included in the bunch is Jack Johnson, Scott Harden, Larry Ragland, and others.

I counted 5 times where I shifted without a clutch. Not because I wanted to, but because I had to.

I couldn't find anyone who admits to not using the clutch or even trying to avoid clutch use.
When talking to Max Switzer (Multiple Baja 500/1000 and Mint 400 wins) he started talking about his 250x with a recluse and how it only takes quick let off on the throttle to shift. Then someone mentions that you can do this without a recluse, and the response was "yeh, but..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by RideFreak View Post
Lots of guys rarely use the clutch, it's common practice for many racers. The tranny handles it fine as long as the rider knows what he's doing. The clutch enguagment is actually the hardest thing on the bike's motor oil by far, as the plates come together the oil molicules get sheared breaking them down

And that is why a couple quarts of oil only lasts 600 miles and why the spec such frequent oil changes.

The goal isn't to avoid using the clutch, the goal is to keep the engine and tranny revs matched during a shift, which can be difficult at times and why we have clutches. If you are matching engine/tranny speeds good enough to shift without a clutch, you will not cause any more wear and tear by using the clutch because there is not much slippage between the plates. It is no more harmful than pulling the clutch on a bike that is parked in the garage.

The idea that clutch use adds wear and tear is bullshit, complete bullshit. And encouraging people to not use a clutch, because some think this is what racers do is also bullshit.
crypto666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 09:47 AM   #16773
larryboy
Leisurely Liar

Oddometer: 13,864
Quote:
Originally Posted by crypto666 View Post
The idea that clutch use adds wear and tear is bullshit, complete bullshit.

Well, it kind of does if you think about it. Every time you pull the clutch the plates travel on the basket fingers grinding aluminum away until you have grooves worn into the basket, which then causes a grabby clutch, which in turn causes slippage which results in added wear/tear. This is why I mentioned the clutch based on that fellers oil test...the metals that were a little high are from the clutch.

The cure for me is a billet Hinson basket that doesn't wear...I think it's hard annodized too. I clutch every shift because I'm not perfect and it's easy to damage a shift fork if you don't match the revs perfectly every single time. You've really got to be in the zone to hit your marks perfectly to ride without using the clutch, like a road race car driver.
larryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 09:47 AM   #16774
stuntheavy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
Does anyone have any pictures of their tank bag setups on their XRR? Particularly, with the Acerbis Sahara tank?

Trying to see if there are any viable options other than the Buckin' Roll. I tend to use almost all of the seat, moving front to back, depending on what I'm doing. I don't want a tank bag that takes up alot of real estate on the seat.
stuntheavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 10:21 AM   #16775
ride4fun562
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 198
Since everyone is talking about clutches I may as well address a problem im having, don't kill me its been addressed before. So when i have my bike off in first gear if i pull in the clutch it wont roll without resistance from the engine(clutch wont wont fully disengage*thanks larryboy). Turn the bike on and heat it up and it gets much better and i can roll around on my tippy toes with the clutch pulled in, in gear, still a small amount of resistance though. I know that a little bit of this may be normal due to oil sticking the plates together, but i feel thats it has gotten worse since i got the bike. Sooooooo my question is what is the worn component that may be contributing to causing this, basket, springs, plates, or a combination? Thanks for your help in advance. P.S. I really dont think its the adjustment ive adjusted it to about every positon it can be, and sorry for the lack of being able to think for myself, i'd say its probably the springs and plates but id rather hear it from you guys

ride4fun562 screwed with this post 04-07-2013 at 11:04 AM
ride4fun562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 10:40 AM   #16776
larryboy
Leisurely Liar

Oddometer: 13,864
Quote:
Originally Posted by ride4fun562 View Post
(clutch wont wont fully engage)

You're describing 'disengage', not engage. Stiction, normal.

It's free to inspect the clutch on an XRR, no gaskets or other parts needed, don't even have to dump the oil. Go tear it down and check it out, it takes less than 5 minutes.
larryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 10:45 AM   #16777
cragdweller
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuRPsa View Post
+1 Jayrod, I luv it so much that I've 'filed' your photo of the numbers. Will order a set before they tell me "Ooh, no, too old, not available anymore".
Very useful Jayrod! Thanks!
cragdweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 11:25 AM   #16778
ride4fun562
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
You're describing 'disengage', not engage. Stiction, normal.

It's free to inspect the clutch on an XRR, no gaskets or other parts needed, don't even have to dump the oil. Go tear it down and check it out, it takes less than 5 minutes.

Thank you , and I know I have before, just wanted too see if there was really even reason to first. I had gotten a little bit of conflicting information on the subject but youre right its almost as easy as typing this to open it so i might aswell.
ride4fun562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 12:19 PM   #16779
superhobie
Soil Sampler

Oddometer: 102
Quote:
The idea that clutch use adds wear and tear is bullshit, complete bullshit. And encouraging people to not use a clutch, because some think this is what racers do is also bullshit.

Easy on the roids Cryp nobody is trying to encourage anyone on clutch usage. You made the asinine statement that apparently those of us that choose to ride a different way then u must either not ride enough or are misinformed somehow. Maybe spend 2 minutes doing a Google search on shifting a dirt bike without using the clutch and see what you come up with, ie some do some don't just like here
superhobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 01:48 PM   #16780
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,591
Quote:
Really, a 15k mile ride where the goal is to not use the clutch? Interesting objective.

And since you are opposed to feathering the clutch in sandy washes, I assume you start out with a hundred yards of trenching in 1st and 2nd gears? That's neat.
I'm not opposed to feathering the clutch when needed, happens allot more than just sandy washes.

Well I rode about 200 miles of single track and washes this weekend with a few friends. Included in the bunch is Jack Johnson, Scott Harden, Larry Ragland, and others.

Hardly what I'm referring to, take a look at SX racing, full throttle shifts with a quick let off of the throttle and no clutch, common practice and a tranny failure is extremly rare. The XXR tranny is fundamentally the same design as are most modern dirtbikes, how often do you hear of an XRR transmission failing? Very rare.

I counted 5 times where I shifted without a clutch. Not because I wanted to, but because I had to.

That cool, no one is telling you not to use your clutch.

I couldn't find anyone who admits to not using the clutch or even trying to avoid clutch use.
When talking to Max Switzer (Multiple Baja 500/1000 and Mint 400 wins) he started talking about his 250x with a recluse and how it only takes quick let off on the throttle to shift. Then someone mentions that you can do this without a recluse, and the response was "yeh, but..."

And that is why a couple quarts of oil only lasts 600 miles and why the spec such frequent oil changes.

The goal isn't to avoid using the clutch, the goal is to keep the engine and tranny revs matched during a shift, which can be difficult at times and why we have clutches. If you are matching engine/tranny speeds good enough to shift without a clutch, you will not cause any more wear and tear by using the clutch because there is not much slippage between the plates. It is no more harmful than pulling the clutch on a bike that is parked in the garage.

Yup, it's pretty easy to match up the RPMs for a smooth clutchless shift, no harder on the motor than using the clutch.

Goes to the point that the tranny will handle it, not because that's what a racer does.
Crypto, I'm not telling anyone not to use their clutch, totally up to the owner. My point was it's often not used and it's not detrimental to the gearbox when done correctly. Clutch slippage is harder on the oil, will it ruin the motor? Obviously not.

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but to rather skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ... Holy Shit, what a ride!"
Canyonlands Adventure Ride 2013 / 700 Miles of Scenic Utah Backcountry / VIDEOS
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 02:59 PM   #16781
Unsung
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander-DR650 View Post
I know what you mean about being on a budget. I need a stator but just bought my bike so the toy-fund is dry... I have to plug the battery it has into a charger every couple days to keep the signals, tail and brake light and horn working. The head light is kinda scary at night too. I'd also like to put new jets and seals in the carb, it has a few issues...Just thought the tach is a good way to sort out your gearing
Haha, well I think I'll find out for sure when the speedo gets here. I've found a couple of chrome analog tachs that wire to a coil. I'm going to look into those. I KNOW this bike isn't running to it's potential, and I think the air filter + jetting will fix it. I know I'm not lucky enough to put the air filter in, and it run perfectly That BD analong speedo will bolt onto one side of the two holes there for the factory odometer, it'd be real nice to find an identical tach to bolt on the other side in the other factory hole.

After I get this stuff on it, and rejet it, I'm going to change the oil and start riding it to work every day. I can't wait. Also my budget is about gone, so riding it to work will make that day go easier when I see my bike outside and realize that on my next paycheck I can buy more junk for it!
Unsung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 06:04 PM   #16782
Jayrod1318
Poster

Oddometer: 1,552
change your fork oil

I changed my fork oil last night.

It was low for some reason ( no leaky seals) and it stank like the oil trap at the grease monkey.

Little black snotty stuff came out too.

The action and feel are SOOO much better. I can't wait to do some rough stuff!
Old 04-07-2013, 06:06 PM   #16783
Jayrod1318
Poster

Oddometer: 1,552
Quote:
Originally Posted by cragdweller View Post
Very useful Jayrod! Thanks!

No problem!
Old 04-07-2013, 10:39 PM   #16784
Sean-0
Closed

Oddometer: 4,266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayrod1318 View Post
I changed my fork oil last night.

It was low for some reason ( no leaky seals) and it stank like the oil trap at the grease monkey.

Little black snotty stuff came out too.

The action and feel are SOOO much better. I can't wait to do some rough stuff!
stock oil ?? whale snot
Sean-0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 10:46 PM   #16785
FlyGuy
MachineHead

Oddometer: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayrod1318 View Post
Got an oil analysis done. bike has 3,000 miles on it. oil is shell rotella 15w-40.

Oil has 950 miles on it.

Bike has been well taken care of its whole life.

Not quite sure about the wear metals in this sample.

Humm an oil analysts led to the clutch conversation /argument
people are only speculating on the iron coming from the steel plates of the clutch there a few other sources I can think of
I looked at the oil analysis and wondered where the copper came from?
Oil is cheap change it often

On clutch use I aint gona stop abusing mine when I need to (its got great action)
Honda made it easy to access for a reason.
Clutch use is a learned skill, if you are riding competitively it can make big difference (On starts, brake turning into corners riding a gear high out of corners speed shifting , rough rocky sections ect
I love my clutch.
I am skeptical if a recluse could withstand the 650r power and same riding technique?
Bad thing is the 650r clutch will let you know fairly quick if your overheating it (its kinda weak) by the play at the lever, once you feel the extra play you better adjust your technique or slow down.
Now get out and abuse your clutch and have some fun.
FlyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote