Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2013, 05:32 PM   #31
moe.ron
Poor Dumb Bastard

Oddometer: 2,280
Aeroflow makes a windshield now too I think. Mine got broken, I think I will try one.

I think I am going to put bars from an 800 as well.

LoffKat, I would think there is lots of gear for girls out there.
Old 04-08-2013, 05:50 AM   #32
dirtynerd OP
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by moe.ron View Post
LoffKat, I would think there is lots of gear for girls out there.
There's a decent amount, but not nearly as much (availability & selection). Especially in petite sizes (apparently we're not a mass market yet). LoffKat - check out Revzilla. I LOVE them - quality stuff and really easy to contact for gear advice.
dirtynerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 07:51 AM   #33
LoffKat
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtynerd View Post
There's a decent amount, but not nearly as much (availability & selection). Especially in petite sizes (apparently we're not a mass market yet). LoffKat - check out Revzilla. I LOVE them - quality stuff and really easy to contact for gear advice.
There's an okay amount. a LOT of it is "womens" but it actually men's cut's sized smaller. Ex: Olympia AST.. i had that for 2 years and it just wasn't cut for women's bodies. I just sucked up the price for my ADV gear and got the Rev'it Ventura jacket and pants which actually fit right everywhere. I went with Olympia originally because it was economic and fit best for what was available to me. Prior to buying the Olympia, i tried Joe Rocket and Scorpion and that did not come close to fitting me in the chest area. Except for my first Olympia jacket, everything else has been bought from Revzilla. i LOVE them! Kat gave me great recommendations. Zilla cash ain't too bad either... :)

I saw somewhere that someone had a Wolfman's tank bag mounted on the F700, could someone please point me to that?
LoffKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 09:37 AM   #34
B_C_Ries
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 589
Where you ride makes a huge difference as to what luggage is appropriate, I live in Southern California, just North of Mexico and what is best down here might not make much sense in Canada. I just do not need to carry alot of cold weather stuff,
Lighter is always better until you cannot carry necessary gear.

I do like the look of the Happy Trails metal luggage in the smaller sizes with those metal loops so you can strap down more stuff though,
B_C_Ries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 05:36 PM   #35
Geoffster
Fool - Born This Way

Oddometer: 1,359
Hard bags or soft bags? The question's been asked (and answered) before, but here's a quick summary:

HARD
Pros: easy access; lockable; typically waterproof

Cons: can injure your leg in a crash; Touratech/BMW can twist in a crash rendering the lid unattachable; heavy
SOFT
Pros: survive all but the worst crashes; lightweight; inexpensive to purchase/replace

Cons: a floppy nightmare when unloaded or lightly loaded; more difficult to access; only lockable with a cable lock or alternative
My wealthy friends get Jesse Bags for their GS and KTM Adventures.

Walter Colebatch -- a real RTW adventurer on a BMW G650X -- is so sold on soft bags, he had a frame and bags designed to his specifications. http://www.adventure-spec.com/defaul...-panniers.html

My decision:

Since my 700 came with mounts for Varios, I negotiated for Varios. When traveling off-pavement, I'll be sure to carry ROK straps in case of a bad crash. Friends have used ROK straps on Touratech, BMW, FJR, Concours -- everything but Jesses. Jesses don't seem to break!

If I was planning on low-speed crashes, I'd get Wolfman Expedition Dry Saddle Bags and Wolfman Side Racks.

Consider this before arguing with me:
You're an idiot if you argue with a fool!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/geoffster/sets/
Geoffster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 10:56 PM   #36
terraunbound
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoffKat View Post

I saw somewhere that someone had a Wolfman's tank bag mounted on the F700, could someone please point me to that?
Here's one of the Wolfman tank bags, I believe the Explorer Lite:

Without unzipping the expander section, it has easily carried:
the insulated inner liner to a jacket
0.5 liter of water
straws
small purse with wallet, phone, id, camera
hat and neck gaiter
lock
granola bars
with room left over.

And yet, it was not too tall to feel comfortable.
terraunbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 08:09 PM   #37
indio
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Question for OP, which dealer did you buy it from & if don't mind asking what was the OTD price?I live in Bay area as well hence the question.I have scheduled a test ride for Thursday at San Francisco city BMW dealer. Paid a visit to San Jose dealer they wanted me to sign the check but didn't want to be bothered by questions so I left!
indio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 04:44 AM   #38
rhyndman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rhh/9186349589/

Here's mine - Wolfman tank bag, Cee Bailey 22" screen, Wolfman saddle bags and a Wolfman dry duffle. The saddle bags aren't waterproof but have a waterproof liner. I'm 6'1" hence the screen height. And it's still a little noisy at the top of my helmet.

More recent farkles: mirror extenders, handlebar riser and handguards. Soon to come: aux lights.

In the near term I don't expect to do a lot of offroad / expedition. I need more experience before I do that, especially since I mostly ride solo. But regardless of the application I love these saddlebags. Pretty easy to put on and take off. Only downside I can see is they don't lock. But with stuff rolled on to the top you need to be determined and fast to steal, I think. And there are ways to lock if that's important to you.

I love the top box. Awesome for quck lockable access in the city. So so handy. Watertight so far. Nice back rest for my wife

I would not get the tank bag again. It's a bit of a drag to take it off so if you're leaving the bike in the rain - lunch or a water break or overnight - your stuff gets wet. Map case too. Ways around this but I would still prefer a dry tank bag.

I se a RAM x-mount and iPhone for nav etc and sewed my glove tips with conductive thread. The x-mount is good but on a few occasions I have noticed the phone almost out of the grip. Not good. I was told this is bomb-proof but I don't think it is. But I have a pretty good head for nav so the onboarding system is not that big a deal for me - an occasional check during breaks works fine for me so far.

On my first long ride - 2500 kms - worst road hazard was cars pulling out in front. So the aux lights, IMO, are a must have. They go on next month.

Have fun and good luck!!!
rhyndman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 08:31 AM   #39
K777
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
I just finished getting everything on mine for camping this weekend.
SW Motech racks with Trax (37 on each side to keep her slimmer)
Barkbuster Storms
CalSi 18" windscreen.

Once I get some road time in I'll chime back about how well the windscreen works

KBMW4
K777 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 07:01 PM   #40
K777
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by K777 View Post
CalSi 18" windscreen.

Once I get some road time in I'll chime back about how well the windscreen works
What a difference a real screen makes. CalSci had great service and it bolts right on. Rode almost 300 miles on the highway each way and the wind went right over my head.
K777 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 08:03 PM   #41
ADVCanuck
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by syaufu View Post
look at some of the soft bags..Giant Loop etc much lighter..easy to use..also won't break your ankle..lower leg as easily when you tip over..much cheaper also..have used the GL on many trips around the world and would not consider hard cases..bj
A definite ++1 on the GL bags - I have a Great Basin and loaded it up for this year's Rally at the Gorge, and held up most excellently on the lower part of the WABDR, especially when I dumped it going about 30 mph in deep gravel! The Great Basin barely looked scuffed, but my ribs didn't fare as well - broke two and limped into Packwood a wounded soldier... I really love my Fandango tank bag...and the Coyote looks like a good choice for someone travelling light. I use a Wolfman Expedition Duffel on my Mod rack - won't go back to hard luggage.

"Wherever you go, there you are" - Jon Kabat-Zinn
ADVCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote