^^^ Love the new Repsol!

Turtlebone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:49 AM   #2282
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,648
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reconstructed View Post
My two cents worth, I am thinking seriously about picking up a used 11 model with 2800 miles for $2700. That is from the local stealership. You have ten times the mileage, and are asking quite a bit more. I would never consider buying a bike that has around thirty thousand miles when for another six or seven hundred I can get a new one.

I would either drop the price to $2500 tops, or keep it.

Just sayin.

BTW, your input, as well as the input of others in this thread have heavily influenced my decision to pick up one of these in the near future.

Edit: ok, maybe not ten times the mileage, but 23,000 is a lot more than the one I am looking at.

Thanks for the input, we're probably seeing the difference between California and Kentucky. From my searching around I have the lowest priced, but highest mileage of any CBR250R for sale in California.

Any lower than $2850 and I keep it. Every once in awhile I have to go work dayshift and it's a lot easier to split lanes for 30 miles on the 250 than the 'wing...wouldn't bother me a bit to keep it.

larryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:11 AM   #2283
Reconstructed
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
Thanks for the input, we're probably seeing the difference between California and Kentucky. From my searching around I have the lowest priced, but highest mileage of any CBR250R for sale in California.

Any lower than $2850 and I keep it. Every once in awhile I have to go work dayshift and it's a lot easier to split lanes for 30 miles on the 250 than the 'wing...wouldn't bother me a bit to keep it.

Yeah, and I am also a self proclaimed cheapskate...

Also, many new riders will think that 23,000 is high mileage for a bike. A lot of first time riders get a 250, and as soon as they are really comfortable on it, think it is time to get a much bigger bike.

Good luck, I hope it sells for you.
Reconstructed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 08:40 PM   #2284
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,648
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reconstructed View Post
Yeah, and I am also a self proclaimed cheapskate...

Also, many new riders will think that 23,000 is high mileage for a bike. A lot of first time riders get a 250, and as soon as they are really comfortable on it, think it is time to get a much bigger bike.

Good luck, I hope it sells for you.

Sold it to a buddy that wants to learn to ride. He's gonna do the MSF course and get his license, then get his feet wet on the little 250.

We'd been talking about what bike for him and it scares me to see a new rider on a 600 rocket, made him a deal so he could start on a good safe little bike. He'll keep it a couple years, then move up to something bigger.
larryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 05:51 AM   #2285
Reconstructed
Gnarly Adventurer

Congrats on the bike sell.
Old 04-01-2013, 12:18 PM   #2286
LoJack
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,284
Finally got the cbr out this weekend for my first ride of the year and first real time on the interstate. I rode down to Madison, WI, about 200 miles on Friday to help a friend with some projects. It was a beautiful day, in the high 40's, with no wind. The bike performed like a champ and I was impressed with how it handled around the semi's and all the dingbat's that have to slam on their brakes in front of me because they have no spacial awareness or sense of timing. Traveling at 70-75mph went pretty well, but there really isn't a whole lot left to give. Not sure I'd want to do this every day with the 250.

The ride home yesterday was a little colder and half way it clouded up, got real windy, and I felt an immediate temperature drop, maybe 10 degrees. The wind didn't give me too much trouble, but I could tell the bike had to work a bit harder. I'm used to dual sports or '70's era bmw's, so this thing handled great all things considered.

Then about an hour from home it started to rain. Not a big deal except the big tar patches the length of a car were quite slippery and I had to work to avoid them. Then it started snowing... Didn't get too heavy, but I had to wipe my visor every twenty seconds. I was going to pull off and call in reinforcements (GF) since I was 30 miles from home, but it miraculously stopped just before the next exit and the sun came out Never done that before, and not sure I want to repeat it.

All in all, the bike performed great. Temps are still in the 20's at 6:00am, so I'm not riding to school yet. Maybe next week, if I'm lucky.
LoJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:28 PM   #2287
scooterspirit
rolling nutball

Oddometer: 672
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
Sold it to a buddy that wants to learn to ride. He's gonna do the MSF course and get his license, then get his feet wet on the little 250.

We'd been talking about what bike for him and it scares me to see a new rider on a 600 rocket, made him a deal so he could start on a good safe little bike. He'll keep it a couple years, then move up to something bigger.
He is lucky to have you as a friend, probably would have dismissed the 250 without the credibility of you owning it. And you did put it to the test, brutal commute and the little bike just keeps on kicking. It's maybe the best 250, kick around ever made, the performance might not be that different from a nighthawk or an XR, but it just runs so much better.

There is just something about getting it done with the 250. It's a good beginner bike, but if you got the skills, it's a 'real man's' bike. If you have more than the 250, then you have too much power, you're in the allrounder class. Anybody can do that. When you make it happen with only 23 hp, you're in a highly specialized, elite category...

scooterspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 01:45 PM   #2288
sprocketjock
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 690

Just added this LeoVince to her. Saved about 15 pounds. Gained !A LOT! of decibels though.
sprocketjock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 11:03 AM   #2289
Tim1036
n00b

Oddometer: 4
New CBR owner

[QUOTE=Reconstructed;21047029]My two cents worth, I am thinking seriously about picking up a used 11 model with 2800 miles for $2700. That is from the local stealership. You have ten times the mileage, and are asking quite a bit more. I would never consider buying a bike that has around thirty thousand miles when for another six or seven hundred I can get a new one.

I just picked up a 2011 with 3,000 miles for $3,000 OTD. So far I'm loving this little bike. Reconstructed - If you see a red/silver cbr in Lawrenceburg it's most likely me. This bike feels quicker than my Ninja 500 around town and back roads. Not much wind protection though.
Tim1036 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 06:09 AM   #2290
Reconstructed
Gnarly Adventurer

I just picked up a 2011 with 3,000 miles for $3,000 OTD. So far I'm loving this little bike. Reconstructed - If you see a red/silver cbr in Lawrenceburg it's most likely me. This bike feels quicker than my Ninja 500 around town and back roads. Not much wind protection though.[/QUOTE]

I think you picked up the same bike I was looking at. Did you go to Floyds in Danville? It is not listed on their site anymore, nor is it listed on craigslist.

I may need to look at the tri-color that was sitting beside it. It is a carryover 12 model, but I also like the red on the 13 models.

Decisions, Decisions.

So, where are you at in Lawrenceburg? I live around the Kavanaugh house, not far from the train tracks.
Old 04-11-2013, 06:34 PM   #2291
michelsavage
Gotta move

Oddometer: 53
Yep, 250, then in scond position. CBR500R

Northern Thailand, the land of extreme twisties and very dangerous roads. Mountains, crazy drivers who pass anywhere, anytime. I commuted with a Honda Wave 100. It's OK for commuting, like a million other Thais. Drove two Honda Phantoms 250, one in bad shape and crooked. They're OK, comfortable, and surprisingly peppy. Not very agile though like any cruiser. Then, I did a long trip with a Honda CBR 250R and the new Honda CBR 500R. Little marvels of agility, low seat, lightweight, comfortable... I loved. First time on a sport bike ever/ Then, another long trip on a 2011 Ninja 650. Fast for sure, sexy, agile, low seat. BUT so hot hot hot, my balls are now cooked. In hot Chiang Mai traffic, unbearably hot. Even on the highway, my ankles were red hot. Maybe for that reason, the ride was not comfortable, and I got neck and back pains, my ass hurt on that seat.. Not very economical either on gas. The winner is, easily, the Honda CBR250R closely followed by the CBR500R, which is a little higher, a little heavier, and, surprisingly with apparently lower top speed than the 250R. The 250 is fast enough for me, very comfortabhle, very agile, light, and good low RPM torque. Not for high speed though - good cruising speed 100-110 km/hr. I would not hesitate a second to go on long trip with the 250, although luggage capacity probably limited to about 50 lbs. My previous bike was a F650GS all farkled up - a torture instrument, which I hated. This analysis by an intermediate driver, bordering on beginner. History: Virago 920 (I hated - too high), three Intruders 750/800 (I loved for commuting) and BMW F650GS (which I really learned to hate with time and distance). I am presently negotiating for a 2012 CBR250RA, red color, with lowered suspension (2 inches)...

michelsavage screwed with this post 04-12-2013 at 04:46 AM Reason: spelling
michelsavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 06:52 AM   #2292
gore-tx
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,903
I've been trying to sell mine for about a month now. Nothing. It's on a different forum, it's on Craigslist.
I know my local dealer still has 2012 models on their showroom floor so it can't help.
So my question is, are people overseeing the little CBR?
Old 04-20-2013, 07:47 AM   #2293
epb
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by gore-tx View Post
I've been trying to sell mine for about a month now. Nothing. It's on a different forum, it's on Craigslist.
I know my local dealer still has 2012 models on their showroom floor so it can't help.
So my question is, are people overseeing the little CBR?
What I've seen in Chicago is over-optimistic asking prices. You can find new 2012s at dealers for $3700, yet I've seen used ones with asking prices as high as $5000 on Craiglist. I know supplies were tight initially, but with almost 70 available at local dealers, I can't see anyone paying a premium for a used one.
epb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 10:12 AM   #2294
gore-tx
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,903
Quote:
Originally Posted by epb View Post
What I've seen in Chicago is over-optimistic asking prices. You can find new 2012s at dealers for $3700, yet I've seen used ones with asking prices as high as $5000 on Craiglist. I know supplies were tight initially, but with almost 70 available at local dealers, I can't see anyone paying a premium for a used one.
I'm asking $3,700. It has an aftermarket exhaust (two brothers) and less than 900 miles (600 mile service done at dealership) and existing warranty. I don't think I'm asking for too much... Dealers may only ask $3,700 but they will ask for freight, set up, and doc fees. It adds up quick.
Old 04-20-2013, 11:06 AM   #2295
Jimmy the Heater
Tilting the Horizon

Oddometer: 1,747
MotoSport in Hillsboro OR has leftover '12's going for $2999 and from what I have heard they are pretty reasonable about all the add on fees.

http://www.hillsboromotorcycles.com/...ModelYear=2012
Jimmy the Heater is offline   Reply With Quote