Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2013, 06:06 AM   #31
wannaklr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,106
I had a real long review of my test ride, but I lost it when I hit submit.

To summarize that Pulitzer winning review now lost to history.

I really liked it. The motor is amazing and the bike does not feel as big as it is. I've test ridden Victory's and Harley's and the F6B just feels and rides like a smaller bike. The motor is amazing. The torque is addicting. I was managing the gaps just to roll on the throttle. I'm smitten with that motor.

Brakes are powerful and easily modulated. The bike squats when you hit the brakes, but it is all controlled and smooth. I would prefer ABS, but it isn't the deal killer I thought it would be.

I would change out the windscreen. I've changed out windshields on every bike I've owned, so that isn't a big deal. I'd keep the blade for a hot summer day ride.

The aftermarket will solve the cruise control issue, but until then I would use a throttle lock or go cruise to rest my hand.

Didn't get her in the twisties. In this area of Iowa it is pretty much straight roads and 90 degreee turns. Our roads are tore up from the winter and the F6B handled them well. Smoothly riding around them when I could and taking the hit when I couldn't. I could commute easily on this bike. To be honest 90% of my riding is commuting or errands.

I will take one more test ride with the wife on the back. I would like her opinion on the back rest. It seems low, but has passed the sitting in the dealer test.

Let me know if you have any questions about the test ride. If you are looking for a 08 DL650 nicely farkled with 28,000 miles PM me.

From Scottie Boy "If you calculated the money spent versus time actually used, vaginas cost more per hour than the space shuttle."
wannaklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 09:35 AM   #32
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,648
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakeeater View Post
Can you imagine selling a car without ABS and Cruise control? This thing costs more than a Ford Fusion/Honda Civic..etc. Crazy.

Cakeeater

I bought a used 2008 Volvo for my wife, no cruise...deal breaker for me, they had a kit that popped into the steering wheel using existing wiring and a simple PCM reflash got me cruise for $450.

I was a little shocked when the Honda dealer said that it ain't gonna work like that for the F6B. No deal for me. Honda has always done this with cars, lower priced models without cruise or a right side mirror. They really need a dealer installed cruise control kit for the F6B to be successful, I would actually buy one to go with my Goldwing...if...it had cruise.
larryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 09:49 AM   #33
SimpleSimon
Aspiring advrider

Oddometer: 3,372
Saw one yesterday at the dealership. Personally I like them better than the cruiser options. They appear very well made and the fit and finish is superb.

"Assembled Spectator Scoring With Incriminating Photographic Evidence" or A.S.S.W.I.P.E. - Granparacer
SimpleSimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 11:11 AM   #34
HornHonker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
I bought a used 2008 Volvo for my wife, no cruise...deal breaker for me, they had a kit that popped into the steering wheel using existing wiring and a simple PCM reflash got me cruise for $450.

I was a little shocked when the Honda dealer said that it ain't gonna work like that for the F6B. No deal for me. Honda has always done this with cars, lower priced models without cruise or a right side mirror. They really need a dealer installed cruise control kit for the F6B to be successful, I would actually buy one to go with my Goldwing...if...it had cruise.
Dealer is correct. Until Honda goes drive by wire (even Harley has this)
easy cruise upgrades will remain difficult.
HornHonker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 11:47 AM   #35
BlueSkyGuy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 406
The GL 1800

Is a great ride but as mentioned above too tupperware for me, I had a 83 GL1100i and it was a perfect fit. Working on the 1100 was simple until clutch and alternator repairs come along. I think the 1800 would be worse and even filter changes could be a issue. But that piggy really moves out when the cane is applied.
BlueSkyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 01:49 PM   #36
Cakeeater
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 721
Quote:
Originally Posted by HornHonker View Post
Seems Honda is behind the times. Yes, "even" Harley has been using drive-by-wire for five/six years.

I toured the Harley engine plant outside of Milwaukee. Spotless. One of the guys in the tour was an engineer at Boeing. He said he wished his plant was as clean and high-tech as Harley's was.

Cakeeater
Cakeeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 05:04 PM   #37
scotty918
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 162
I had drive by wire on my 2006 Yamaha FZ-1. The throttle response was absolutely awful, borderline dangerous in a curve. It can be poorly implemented.
Old 04-07-2013, 05:16 PM   #38
Unleaded
Unit Train

Oddometer: 712
Quote:
Originally Posted by HornHonker View Post
My VFR1200 is throttle by wire. Now I'm mad I don't have cruise.
Old 04-07-2013, 07:38 PM   #39
DavidBanner
Banned

Oddometer: 1,163
neat, honda made a road glide.
DavidBanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 07:39 PM   #40
richarddacat
daylight rider

Oddometer: 2,965
Love the style and yes it's about time Honda but, I'm surprised http://mblinnovations.com/ hasn't been mentioned.

For me I would go this route, buy older 07 model in blue or black, MBL kit, Traxxion upgrade, and start whittling as much weight off on one that I can, along with anything that resembles chrome.

I would get my cruise, a reverse that I could have found handy a few times on my FJR and ditch the trunk which I hate on anybike anyway.
The extra cockpit room probably would not be noticed since I'm 5'7'', though I haven't compared the two and that lower height might be raised a bit with a Traxxion mod as well.
The sound system? Do they have an headphone jack? Otherwise I'd rather use my iPod with ear-phones

I do like the bike but it would be fun to personalize one to my own tastes.
Only a biker knows why a dog sticks it head out the window.
richarddacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 06:18 AM   #41
wannaklr
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidBanner View Post
neat, honda made a road glide.
Road Glides are selling pretty well though.

I've test ridden three Road Glides, never felt the desire to buy one. I rode one F6B and I want one.

Cycle World compares the F6 to a CVO Road Glide. They liked the F6 better than the CVO. $20,999 F6 versus a $39,000 CVO. The F6 is quicker, not by a lot though.

From Scottie Boy "If you calculated the money spent versus time actually used, vaginas cost more per hour than the space shuttle."
Old 04-08-2013, 06:23 AM   #42
wannaklr
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by richarddacat View Post
Love the style and yes it's about time Honda but, I'm surprised http://mblinnovations.com/ hasn't been mentioned.

For me I would go this route, buy older 07 model in blue or black, MBL kit, Traxxion upgrade, and start whittling as much weight off on one that I can, along with anything that resembles chrome.

I would get my cruise, a reverse that I could have found handy a few times on my FJR and ditch the trunk which I hate on anybike anyway.
The extra cockpit room probably would not be noticed since I'm 5'7'', though I haven't compared the two and that lower height might be raised a bit with a Traxxion mod as well.
The sound system? Do they have an headphone jack? Otherwise I'd rather use my iPod with ear-phones

I do like the bike but it would be fun to personalize one to my own tastes.
That conversion is mentioned in the other F6 thread.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=840784&page=7

Old 04-09-2013, 12:10 AM   #43
richarddacat
daylight rider

Oddometer: 2,965
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannaklr View Post
That conversion is mentioned in the other F6 thread.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=840784&page=7
Did seem like I was repeating myself , glad my point was made.
Only a biker knows why a dog sticks it head out the window.
richarddacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 10:16 PM   #44
Krasniewski
I don't ride much.

Oddometer: 1,039
Love the bike - sat on a couple, but ended up buying a used Electra Glide Standard instead, mostly due to initial cost.

Things that surprised me about the F6B were the poor fuel economy, no standard heated grips (would have sprang for the $1,000 package that includes them), and high initial cost.

I would have loved the motor, resale value, audio, and longevity, methinks.
Krasniewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 06:21 AM   #45
wannaklr
Beastly Adventurer

My dealer won't budge off retail, yet. He priced out a base model then we added the backrest for my wife. The backrest and hardware got discounted to $450.00. So I'm at $20,449. For the extra money I should get the deluxe. My pricing goal is to get an out the door deluxe for $20,999. So they need to discount tax, title, and tag. Not sure he'll do that, but I'm not buying for at least a month anyway.

Don't the Goldwings get in the high 30's low 40's? I figure the F6B would be getting about the same.