Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-2012, 05:14 PM   #526
RonkoRider
Wrong Island, NY

Oddometer: 1,453
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10/10ths View Post
Wait a minute!!!

Are you SURE the '12 Classic uses tubeless tires?

If this is true, I KNOW my brother will want to mount those on his '11 Classic.

The tubes in the tires are the only thing he does not like about his Classic.

Can you SHOW ME PROOF?

Thanks.

Not that I don't trust you.......

To quote Reagan, "Trust but verify."

Cheers.
Sorry, my bad!

I thought I read in this thread that they swapped out the tubes for the 2012 model. I just doubled checked this thread and couldn't find it. Therefore, the tires are tubed.

I deleted my old post stating otherwise.
RonkoRider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 08:12 PM   #527
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 49,313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric R. Shelton View Post
Hmm... In that case, I'm thinking a slightly taller seat will get my head out into the clean air and give me a little more legroom...
How tall are you? I am only 5'8", but have the short legs and long torso of a 5'11" person.

I use a Scorpion XO 1000, and it seems to work well when I ride the R1200R with a fly screen, just for reference.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:17 AM   #528
Eric R. Shelton
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Jim, I'm 6'0" with about a 34" inseam. I'm going to try removing the fly screen first, just as an experiment...
Eric R. Shelton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 03:37 PM   #529
Eric R. Shelton
Adventurer

Bump

Wow, this thread has been lying dormant for a while, so I'll give it a bump.

Has anybody got experience with sealing a spoked rim to use tubeless tires? Either the Alpina kit or otherwise? Nobody has commented on that (I went back and re-read all 36 pages!), and I'm thinking that's my next project.

Also, why do spokes have to remain adjustable once the wheel is true? Why can't they just be brazed , welded, or sealed into place? It seems silly to me to leave a weak spot in the design, so there must be something I'm overlooking...

PS- I'm asking here because another R-bike specific forum doesn't allow my IP address right now (currently deployed in Afghanistan, missing my bike even more).

Eric R. Shelton screwed with this post 03-29-2013 at 04:26 PM Reason: add reason for asking here vs another forum
Old 03-29-2013, 03:50 PM   #530
Hoop71
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
Sent you a PM Eric.
Hoop71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 08:23 AM   #531
RonkoRider
Wrong Island, NY

Oddometer: 1,453
Why send a PM- post it up so we can all learn- NOOBS!!!!!!!
RonkoRider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 01:47 PM   #532
Eric R. Shelton
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LI LT Owner View Post
Why send a PM- post it up so we can all learn- NOOBS!!!!!!!
The rules say we're not supposed to disclose the content of PMs. It was something that could be said in private but may have been taken as being in poor taste if said publicly, is all.

Rest assured, when I get a good answer on the topic I'll write it all up here and share what I learn with everybody!
Old 04-05-2013, 04:54 PM   #533
Eric R. Shelton
Adventurer

Just ordered my Wunderlich Trophy fairing, and I'm home from Afghanistan in just about two weeks. I'll have that thing bolted on and a review for anyone interested ASAP!
Old 04-05-2013, 07:30 PM   #534
Hoop71
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric R. Shelton View Post
Just ordered my Wunderlich Trophy fairing, and I'm home from Afghanistan in just about two weeks. I'll have that thing bolted on and a review for anyone interested ASAP!
Good choice Eric.

Did you get the email I sent you Re: Tubeless conversion?

Dan
Hoop71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 11:06 PM   #535
Eric R. Shelton
Adventurer

I did, thanks Dan. I think I'll put off that project and painting the frame black 'til the end of this year's riding season. Then I can still tinker with my bike and let it know it's loved even when it's too cold to ride.

I'm toying around with the idea of painting the wheels white and doing the spokes black. I know it'll show dirt and brake dust really fast, but I'd like to ramp up the two-tone aspect of the "Classic" a little bit more. I suck at pre-viz, so what do you guys think?
Old 04-08-2013, 07:31 AM   #536
Weird Bug
Weird BUG

Oddometer: 379
Joining In with R1200R Purchase

Okay - it's official (as of last Friday). I now have a 2011 R1200R - in Smoke Grey with panniers. Picked it up in Atlanta Georgia Friday after test riding at 5:30 in downtown. Headed to the mountains after that and untrailered the bike Saturday morning for a day of riding.

After 130 miles I have a good first impression of the bike. It was 32 degrees when I started, but I was comfortable with heated vest and heated grips.

The bike has what I would call "effortless" power. What I mean by that is you simply do not have to think about it - it's just always there - no matter the gear, no matter the incline. I did not ring it out during the day, but when I opened it up a little it responded beautifully. I mainly just enjoyed the ride and did not "challenge" and roads. Got 45 mpg on ethanol loaded fuel - should get better with non-ethanol.

The bike fits like a glove. Everything was easy to reach and the seating position was perfect for me. What really suprized me was how light it felt and how easy it was to maneuver.

You know, I read discussions/threads about which bike is better than the other, but we often compare bikes that were made for different purposes. My Ducati ST3s for example is an awesome bike - all around, but it is best suited to higher speeds and more handling in the corners at higher speeds, lower angles. Once you hit 80 mph it feels really good, at 90 beautiful, at 1XX awesome.

The R1200R can go fast, corner well, and is very comfortable, but one bike is not necessarily better than the other. It seems to mostly depend on what kind of riding YOU are doing and what YOU are looking for.

I've had a GS (2006), an RT (2007), an ST (2009), and the Ducati before this (others years ago). I keep moving towards the naked bikes and his one fits the bill for now. I'm looking forward to a few weeks on it for an extended trip this summer.

(BTW - If anyone wants to sell their BMW rear rack let me know. I need one for a backrest or top box.)

More to come I'm sure...

Also, thanks to Jim for the maintenance DVD. Looking forward to saving on those costs.
Old 05-03-2013, 02:52 PM   #537
Woland
Wannabe adventurer

Oddometer: 222
So I need some advice from people with more knowledge than I. I have a R1200R '07 with a high comfort seat. Since I live in the western part of Sweden I'm not unfamiliar with riding in the rain unfortunately, but one of the things that annoys me is that the seat soaks up quite a bit of water.

The question I pose is how to prevent that? Which leads to the question of the material of the saddle. Is it leather? And if so how do I best take care of it to prevent it from letting water soak through?

TIA.

/Fredrik
Woland is offline   Reply With Quote