Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2013, 05:35 AM   #16
Radio1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Ive got the same kinda crack, nicks and tears in mine, have done around 2500 km.... i'm watching it, it started out as an amazing tyre i thought until the outer tread wore down to the middle strip, now it's just ok, on hard packed marbley dirt its pretty dodgey, getting better when the terrain gets a little softer and it can dig in a little.
Radio1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 06:02 AM   #17
Snowhite808
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio1 View Post
Ive got the same kinda crack, nicks and tears in mine, have done around 2500 km.... i'm watching it, it started out as an amazing tyre i thought until the outer tread wore down to the middle strip, now it's just ok, on hard packed marbley dirt its pretty dodgey, getting better when the terrain gets a little softer and it can dig in a little.

Soften it up a little.
36 psi is something like total max that the tire should ever be used with.
Also, please always mention the tire sizes and models. K60 and K60scout and size etc.
PS! To the highway runners - they do overheat going 100mph and get dangerous in the twisties, when wet. So keep it calm and stay safe - they are 50/50 tires.
I have about 7000 very mixed conditions on my 950 and no cracks nor problems. Wearing down to the fat center strip will create more patch but gets slippery in mud/grass situations.
For that money though - as good as it gets.
Snowhite808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 06:32 AM   #18
jfink
Can't get there from here

Oddometer: 109
By the way, I run a Heidenau K60 Scout -150/70B-18 70T. Here is the load and speed chart for Heidenau tires. Based on this chart the maximums for my tire are: 118 mph, 736 lbs

2014 KTM 500 Exc, 2011 KTM 990 Adventure Dakar, 2004 Goldwing

The End of the World at the End of the World
jfink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:28 AM   #19
bete
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 535
I had one of the first k60 rear tires several years ago on my big strom, they cracked the same as the one in the pic here but never failed, and I would not be scared to try them again. Changed it around 7000mi. that was better than most tires I had tried. bete.
bete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:56 AM   #20
Reinhold
No, not Messner

Oddometer: 195
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowhite808 View Post
Soften it up a little.
36 psi is something like total max that the tire should ever be used with.
Also, please always mention the tire sizes and models. K60 and K60scout and size etc.
PS! To the highway runners - they do overheat going 100mph and get dangerous in the twisties, when wet. So keep it calm and stay safe - they are 50/50 tires.
I have about 7000 very mixed conditions on my 950 and no cracks nor problems. Wearing down to the fat center strip will create more patch but gets slippery in mud/grass situations.
For that money though - as good as it gets.
That's what I would like to know also. Wondering what the difference in wear would be between the 140 and 150 18's and if both sizes are having the cracking problems. Can you tell us what size you are running?
Reinhold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:51 AM   #21
motocrotts OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfink View Post
Yup, I am getting pretty good mileage out of mine (150/70-18), but I have had these cracks in both my second and third tire.

THIRD TIRE

SECOND TIRE

I am traveling through the Americas and in Brazil right now, so because of my concern I sent a message to Heidenau through info@heidenautires.com and actually got a response. Here is what John B at Heidenau had to say:

"Hello Joe,

We seen these before and though they look bad, haven't posed a threat, often come about from over-inflation. Where they've statistically turned-up a lot, has been Alaska. Riders would arrive at our dealer in Fairbanks after coming up from the lower 48 and have these same cracks. The shops there found the tire inflation at 45lbs or better when the tire is designed for 36lbs. Since they were running loaded and BMW says 42lbs the riders were over-inflating them. The combination of heavy load, long stretches of freeway, and to much pressure would cause cracks.

If I was out in the middle of C.America I'd change it to, but we haven't had a failure due to these cracks.

John B"

I didn't over inflate so I took him at his word that they wouldn't cause any problems, and so far they haven't.

Mine are no worse than yours for sure. I may have over inflated a time or two but I usually keep it at 36 psi for road and 30 for off road. I don't run it that hard on the street maybe 90 max just to escape from the random Buick. Still waiting for a reply.
14 Sherco 2.9
few other oldies
motocrotts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:24 AM   #22
ciedema
мотоциклист

Oddometer: 1,923
You can really abuse them without failure.

I rode mine until bald as I couldn't get the tire I needed until Almaty.

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR650L_Dave View Post
The only guaranteed route to failure is the attempted solution of problems through the application of ideology.
ciedema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:57 AM   #23
BELSTAFF
ADV NOMAD

Oddometer: 1,090
Well howdy

Hey Mark:
Jeff here-- & I'm wondering how did the super mefo last, how many miles have you put on and has she tried to kill you yet
I'm sure that everything is fine w/ you & that psycho When anyone ask why I made the transition from KTM to BMW I tell them story about living with that bike.
I'm following along on this thread as I also have k60 s on the beemer (rear) tkc 80 (ft) love that combo & belive its the best set up for 50/50 bike.----If you remember to turn off the ABS

If you get a chance Post up some pix of the psycho bike ---would like to see how shes fared under someone that has more power over her
Keep in touch
Jeff

Arizona OHV Ambassador
BELSTAFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 12:09 PM   #24
motocrotts OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BELSTAFF View Post
Hey Mark:
Jeff here-- & I'm wondering how did the super mefo last, how many miles have you put on and has she tried to kill you yet
I'm sure that everything is fine w/ you & that psycho When anyone ask why I made the transition from KTM to BMW I tell them story about living with that bike.
I'm following along on this thread as I also have k60 s on the beemer (rear) tkc 80 (ft) love that combo & belive its the best set up for 50/50 bike.----If you remember to turn off the ABS

If you get a chance Post up some pix of the psycho bike ---would like to see how shes fared under someone that has more power over her
Keep in touch
Jeff
Just getting to roll over 5K miles on the bike. I usually ride the Dirt bikes in the winter and switch to D/S when it gets hot. I put Alpina Tubless wheels on the bike and installed the K60's at the same time. I still have the Conti and super Mefo on the oem wheels setting in the garage. To be honest the front is good but the Conti is better and the super Mefo is probably better too. I'm just scared of tubes at speed. When I wear these heidi's out I'm putting the mefo and conti on the tubless wheels.
The bike is the most amazing motorcycles I've ever owned, period. I simply love it. Sold the low seats and got a Saddlemans, with the taint relief strip. Very Nice. Had Dillon install an extra fan and I put the OEM mirrors back on. Never have figured out the GPS but no big deal. It's been a great bike for me Jeff, and it's been super friendly even two up in the dirt. I shut the abs off when leaving the pavement as I always stop and adjust the air pressure. Plus I love the ability to just shut off the rear. I was telling Dillion just the other day I bet you wish you hadn't sold it.
14 Sherco 2.9
few other oldies
Old 04-08-2013, 12:23 PM   #25
Snowhite808
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
150/70 R18 Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhold View Post
That's what I would like to know also. Wondering what the difference in wear would be between the 140 and 150 18's and if both sizes are having the cracking problems. Can you tell us what size you are running?
Mine are 150/70 R18 Scout, manufactured in 2012 beginning.
Perhaps running in the cold northern europe, they are getting less beating than in deserts and so. I never run them more than 35 psi cold. They dont heat up that bad then also. In the soft stuff they can haul the bike around 20-25psi and be still protective. Not as good as Mitas E09 Dakar but strong enough to carry the bike with me.
I suppose it is totally other story, when the bike is loaded with two people and luggage. I like to travel light. Or as light as possible and check the pressure and temp of the tires. Some of the folks have had very long runs on the 17/19 combos here - have a friend with a 1000cc strom and more than 10k miles on the rear. It does have a totally different thread pattern and rubber and carcass of course - being 17 and TL and all.
Snowhite808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 05:22 PM   #26
Two Moto Kiwis
Homeless Somewhere

Oddometer: 3,637
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciedema View Post
He rides like a pussy
And that is a compliment as most boys I know love Pussy .... so I can't ride for shit ... maybe I should take up extreme knitting

Yeah we are just doodling along, thing is I wonna look out the window too and see what is going on having expended a lot of loot to get here.... alright for these wealthy ozzies
....Where The Hell Are We .. Spot Us
Two Moto Kiwis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 04:27 PM   #27
motocrotts OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Got my reply from Heidenau today and they said "the tire looked like it had been ridden in rocky terrain and see nothing to warrant any concern." So......I'll keep an eye on it and when it's done I'll put a Mefos on it.
14 Sherco 2.9
few other oldies
Old 04-11-2013, 07:48 AM   #28
beergut
Thumper

Oddometer: 413
SO based on what the response from the Heidenau rep said, its a user issue. I would disagree.

DIY rear top rack
beergut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 08:51 AM   #29
Blackalac
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
I just had a 150- 18 mounted on the rear of my 2004 950. the tire was spin balanced and needed 3 oz of weight. The Scorp that was on previously needed 1 oz on the opposite side. How are you finding the balance on the K-60s
Blackalac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 09:46 AM   #30
chrish4ku
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 751
Ran the K60 scout rear for some long trips, two up, and inflated to 33 psi cold. Never had a single crack so the whole over inflation thing makes total sense.

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug
2011 KTM 990 Adventure / KTM 500 EXC
Chris' Sat Tracker
chrish4ku is offline   Reply With Quote