ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-08-2013, 08:20 AM   #1
Taz1200 OP
.
 
Taz1200's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: NY
Oddometer: 175
2013 baja rear tire choices..

I just bought a 2013 KTM 990 adventure and it came with the Dunlop 908 on the front and rear and since I am on pavement more than dirt I want to change to a less aggressive tire...something more blocky than knobby like a anakee or tourance...The rear is a 140 and I believe prior years came with a 150...I am open to suggestions but so far was looking at the pirelli mt90 the front is tube type but the rear only comes in a 150 tube type..or a 140 tubeless so can I run the 150 tube type.on on this rim?? Or can you run a tube in the 140 tubeless tire??

Taz1200 screwed with this post 04-08-2013 at 10:23 AM
Taz1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:14 AM   #2
Schleprock
Let's Do This!
 
Schleprock's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Oddometer: 105
Try Pirelli Scorpion Trail. They come stock on the Ducati and I have had it on my 990 for the last year and love it. Hth
__________________
2010 990

Schleprock screwed with this post 04-08-2013 at 09:43 AM
Schleprock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:33 AM   #3
FakeName
Wile E Coyote SuperGenius
 
FakeName's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: San Diego
Oddometer: 1,608
The rear wheel is 4.25 and designed for a 150 size tire. Some discussion around these parts as to a 140 being too small for the 4.25 rim. In theory, the 140 is too small, but plenty of people use them.

I'm currently running a 908 myself, but will move to a 150 Mefo when it's worn out, which should be any minute now.
__________________
ADVdiscount Motorcycle Product Photography


2011 White 990 Adv S
2014 500EXC Black
FakeName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:52 AM   #4
Mr_Snips
Husky BRAAAAAAAAP!
 
Mr_Snips's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Yucca Valley, CA
Oddometer: 352
I'm running a Michelin anakee 3 on front and a pilot road 3 out back. It's a good 90/10 setup for road and dirt.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reprobate
Familiar. My stock response: "Most people die in bed. So, where do you sleep?"
Mr_Snips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 12:28 PM   #5
Taz1200 OP
.
 
Taz1200's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: NY
Oddometer: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by FakeName View Post
The rear wheel is 4.25 and designed for a 150 size tire. Some discussion around these parts as to a 140 being too small for the 4.25 rim. In theory, the 140 is too small, but plenty of people use them.

I'm currently running a 908 myself, but will move to a 150 Mefo when it's worn out, which should be any minute now.


So does that mean that the rims are identical KTM just used the 140 size on the new bike but any of the 150 size will fit without issue? ?
Taz1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 12:42 PM   #6
GJ990
Gnarly Adventurer
 
GJ990's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2013
Location: Central Florida
Oddometer: 192
My 908s will be replaced with this: http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/h...cout-rear-tire

I think it's a good compromise and some have done 10k on them, so they last a long time too.
GJ990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 12:44 PM   #7
FakeName
Wile E Coyote SuperGenius
 
FakeName's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: San Diego
Oddometer: 1,608
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz1200 View Post
So does that mean that the rims are identical KTM just used the 140 size on the new bike but any of the 150 size will fit without issue? ?
Two parts to the question:

Q1: Are the rims identical?

A: Yes.

Q2: [Will] any of the 150 size fit without issue?

A: I don't know. I'd think so.


EDIT: Interesting the Dunlop website says the 140 will fit 2.15, 2.50 and 3.50 rim widths, with the 3.50 as the "recommended rim". That's a lot skinnier than the 4.25 on the ADV bike...
__________________
ADVdiscount Motorcycle Product Photography


2011 White 990 Adv S
2014 500EXC Black

FakeName screwed with this post 04-08-2013 at 12:55 PM
FakeName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:33 PM   #8
SpeedyR
SE in the SE
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: ATL, GA
Oddometer: 683
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz1200 View Post
So does that mean that the rims are identical KTM just used the 140 size on the new bike but any of the 150 size will fit without issue? ?
Look on the sidewall of the rim. It should have the size. My guess is 18" x 4.25" but I'm curious to see if they put the narrower SE rim (2.5") on the baja bikes. I would be surprised that Dunlop would let them fit the 140 on the wider rim as an OE fitment.

If its the stock adv 4.25" rim, yes any 150 tire would be fine.
SpeedyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:56 PM   #9
BigNastybrp
Big Nasty
 
BigNastybrp's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: high speed boogie land, Sunny Ca.
Oddometer: 647
I talked to a Dunlop rep yester day. Misty, I think was her name and she said to run the 908 140 on my 990r. this was at the Road rider store in San José Ca. so Dunlop recommended it on a 4.25 Bert

Quote:
Originally Posted by FakeName View Post
EDIT: Interesting the Dunlop website says the 140 will fit 2.15, 2.50 and 3.50 rim widths, with the 3.50 as the "recommended rim". That's a lot skinnier than the 4.25 on the ADV bike...
__________________
XR650R Dual Sport 46k+miles just a few mods, XR600R 2500 miles,
KTM ADV990R 7500,
XR1200cc
BigNastybrp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:39 PM   #10
FakeName
Wile E Coyote SuperGenius
 
FakeName's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: San Diego
Oddometer: 1,608
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNastybrp View Post
I talked to a Dunlop rep yester day. Misty, I think was her name and she said to run the 908 140 on my 990r. this was at the Road rider store in San José Ca. so Dunlop recommended it on a 4.25 Bert
Great news!

You should do it!
__________________
ADVdiscount Motorcycle Product Photography


2011 White 990 Adv S
2014 500EXC Black
FakeName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:42 PM   #11
BigNastybrp
Big Nasty
 
BigNastybrp's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: high speed boogie land, Sunny Ca.
Oddometer: 647
tire is waiting for the new/used rim to get here and I will smoke that 908/$204 dollar tire off in no time
__________________
XR650R Dual Sport 46k+miles just a few mods, XR600R 2500 miles,
KTM ADV990R 7500,
XR1200cc
BigNastybrp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:14 AM   #12
Jim Colombotos
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Jim Colombotos's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: San Leandro, Ca
Oddometer: 313
Conti trail attack .....
Have them on my 990 now, love em!
Seems fine on fire roads and some hill climb...... Honestly horrible in mud .
Grippy as heck on pavement. Long lasting.


Take a close look at the new 1190 R. I think KTM is using these tires.
__________________
2013 KTM 500 EXC
2009 KTM 990 Standard
2014 1190 R
Jim Colombotos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 03:57 AM   #13
Taz1200 OP
.
 
Taz1200's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: NY
Oddometer: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by GJ990 View Post
My 908s will be replaced with this: http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/h...cout-rear-tire

I think it's a good compromise and some have done 10k on them, so they last a long time too.


Checked my rim it is a 18" x 4.25" so the same as previous years...

I like these also ...which size are you using .. I see the 140 is available in a tube type but the 150 is a tubeless..? Also the 90/90-21 front says tubeless ... Are you guys just buying the tubeless type and running tubes in them? No safety concerns with doing this?
Thanks for all the help.. Been riding for years but the tube tire thing is new for me and just like to know the options available to try...
Taz1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 04:14 AM   #14
Jaimoto
Beastly Adventurer
 
Jaimoto's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Santiago, Chile
Oddometer: 1,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz1200 View Post
Checked my rim it is a 18" x 4.25" so the same as previous years...

I like these also ...which size are you using .. I see the 140 is available in a tube type but the 150 is a tubeless..? Also the 90/90-21 front says tubeless ... Are you guys just buying the tubeless type and running tubes in them? No safety concerns with doing this?
Thanks for all the help.. Been riding for years but the tube tire thing is new for me and just like to know the options available to try...
990s comes stock with tubeless tires AND tubes inside them, so it doesn't matter if your next tire is a tube type or tubeless tire, you'll still need run a tube inside.
Go with a 150.

Take a look at Conti trail attack, looks like that's what you want.
Also, Pirelli Scorpion trail

Conti



Pirelli
__________________
Jaime

2007 KTM 990 Adventure
2012 Yamaha BWs 125
Jaimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 07:50 AM   #15
Skinner
Mr.KTM
 
Skinner's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Lake county Il
Oddometer: 5,545
The stock 908's on the Baja seem to be very slippery on the pavement.
__________________
You might be an ADVRider if:

You recognize your friends by the sound of their mufflers.
http://www.meetup.com/Chicagoland-Du...torcycle-Club/
www.jimstarwaltteam.com
Skinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:38 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014