ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2013, 02:09 PM   #46
Minimike
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 877
Quote:
Originally Posted by thump! View Post
I agree on Tellico Plains. Great riding in the area. Try larger Athens, its only 20 miles from Tellico Plains and about half way between Chattanooga and Knoxville.
No jobs in Tellico. Just great riding. And Tellico Grains Bakery!

Chattanooga's growing with the new VW plant; and, the Audi and Porche factories that are supposed to be in the works next to the VW plant.

Check this company out:http://www.alstom.com/us/locations/chatt
423-253-2088

http://tellicomoto.com

The great riding pleasure is "to crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women", all from a smaller, less powerful bike.
Minimike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 06:49 PM   #47
PWRCRZR
Grumpy Old Bastard

Oddometer: 7,215
Just make sure to get a house with a guest room for your friends from Maine
However, I am not complaining because I know that I am probably better today then I will be tomorrow, so I try and enjoy every day as it comes, and stay determined to live well and be appreciative of what I still can do..."Stromsurfer"
PWRCRZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 04:56 AM   #48
internalcombust OP
Yes its dirty, thanks.

Oddometer: 1,585
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minimike View Post
I heard they were hiring at Watts Bar Power Plant a few months ago.

minimike
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minimike View Post
No jobs in Tellico. Just great riding. And Tellico Grains Bakery!

Chattanooga's growing with the new VW plant; and, the Audi and Porche factories that are supposed to be in the works next to the VW plant.

Check this company out:http://www.alstom.com/us/locations/chatt
Thank you for the heads up! I have been having a hard time nailing down specific places to apply, this helps very much.
Old 04-05-2013, 08:11 AM   #49
dlrides
1:1.618

Oddometer: 4,995
Quote:
Originally Posted by machinebuilder View Post
Look around Oak Ridge, I think their schools rank pretty high, the people I know from there are much more involved with the schools than other places.
Oak Ridge has many High tech industries plus a huge nuclear industry and alot of research, so there should be jobs available for a stainless steel Fabricator.
It is also very close to alot of great riding, on and off road.

This
dlrides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 07:33 AM   #50
patmo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 516
Guess I will chime in here...

I am one of those "damn Yankees" that moved south and stayed. Originally from upstate NY, then moved to Cincinnati/NKy, now to Franklin, Tn. Looked at many areas throughout the south, including eastern Tn. ( my sister moved to Mooresville/Lake Cherokee 10 years ago ), but settled on Middle Tn town of Franklin. We wanted small town living with big city convienence, low cost of living, no state income tax, good schools and hospitals, and affordable housing. I think we got it all here. The riding IS better in the eastern part of the state, BUT there is still plenty of good roads around here and it is an easy and good ride to get over to the mountains from here. We settled close to downtown Franklin because we wanted to be able to walk to stores and resturants, which we can, but we can be out in the country in just a few minutes as well. Housing costs can be really high in some areas, but this area was just about completely missed by the recent recession, both in jobs and in housing values dropping. Less expensive housing, but still with very nice homes, is avaliable just south in Thompson's Station and Springhill. Those areas are still in Williamson Co, which is the top ranked school district in the state. Nissan NA HQ is located here in Franklin, they have a large plant in Smyrna. GM has a big plant in Springhill. Jobs are plentiful and unemployment is low.

Once you move south you will never go back north...unless you miss the cold and snow and fast paced life that is.....
patmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 03:51 PM   #51
internalcombust OP
Yes its dirty, thanks.

Realtor is coming to the house Wednesday to go over what we need to do to make our home marketable. Things are getting real.
Old 04-18-2013, 03:59 PM   #52
internalcombust OP
Yes its dirty, thanks.

Just checking back in on this thread. We have found a few houses we really like, but one in particular has us excited. It is located in Athens, on County Road 560. Anyone here familiar with this area? We curious about schools and employment as well as people in town. Thanks. Our house here is just about ready to be put on the market!

internalcombust screwed with this post 04-18-2013 at 04:33 PM
internalcombust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 06:00 AM   #53
machinebuilder
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 922
Quote:
Originally Posted by internalcombust View Post
Just checking back in on this thread. We have found a few houses we really like, but one in particular has us excited. It is located in Athens, on County Road 560. Anyone here familiar with this area? We curious about schools and employment as well as people in town. Thanks. Our house here is just about ready to be put on the market!
I'm not real familiar with Athens, But Wacker Chemical ??? is building a new polysilicon plant near there, there is Heil (build tank trailers),Athens is also commuting distance to Chatanooga and close to the southern Cherokee National Forest, and lots of great riding on and off road.

Just in general there are a lot of small to medium size companies in the general area, unemployement is around 6% (a good normal level), and there are not many skilled workers.

Tennessee education continually ranks near the bottom in surveys, there are some districts that seem to do better.
Old 04-19-2013, 07:07 AM   #54
Reconstructed
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 233
I will chime in about West Tennessee. I moved from the general Memphis area in Feb 09, and although I dearly miss the land that I grew up on, I could not move back there. At least not until my children are on their own, and not dependent on me.

I will try my best to be politically correct here.

The education system is truly horrible. If you have school age children, stay away!!

The whole are is really, really economically depressed.

If the meth-heads find out you have something that is not chained down, they will steal it to support their habit.

It gets oppressively hot during the summer with the high humidity. You have to experience it to know what I mean.

I recommend watching The First 48. It has Memphis on that show quite frequently.

There are other things about the area that I cannot really say in an open forum. Don't want to get banned.

On the good side, the land and the cost of living are really quite low.

You get to keep a good portion of your check.

Umm, I'm trying to think of other things here...

If you do not have children that you are supporting, it can be a good place, just keep everything locked up.

I would love to move to Middle or East Tennessee, but can not recommend West Tennessee.

I just turned 41, and spent 30 of my first 36 years in West Tennessee. I left because I could not and would not put my children in public school there.

Hope this helps.
Reconstructed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 07:25 AM   #55
Dukerdr
New old guy

Oddometer: 112
I can echo what the poster above stated...Memphis schools drag the rest of the schools down to the lower end of the bell curve.

I live half way between Memphis and Nashville, and visit Nashville when I feel the need to visit a big city. They are both 100 miles from me, but Memphis might as well be 500...I just don't go there.

I grew up in NE Ohio, and moved down here in '99. I truly feel blessed to have found "Mayberry". I'm never leaving.

But it is rather flat around here, and there's not as much industry as central and east TN have.

Dukerdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 04:06 PM   #56
internalcombust OP
Yes its dirty, thanks.

All great input thanks. We have no desire to live in west TN. East TN. sounds like more our style.
Old 04-20-2013, 05:06 AM   #57
patmo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 516
Before my wife and I moved to Franklin, we looked in that area quite a bit and it is IMO a very nice area. We wanted a small town with an active downtown area, so we didn't move there. However, if we had wanted more rural or country living we may have very well ended up in that area. It has a lot going for it as far as location.
patmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 02:53 PM   #58
ratthing
refrigerated cybercanine

Oddometer: 127
I just recently moved to Knoxville, TN from Las Vegas. Just me, so my attitudes are probably a bit different from family attitudes. I've been here since Nov.

Knoxville is nice, I'm enjoying it so far. Prices are all over the map on real estate, so you if you find employment, you should be able to find house + land in your budget range. I'm renting at the moment and paying slightly less than I did in LV for a much nicer but slightly smaller place.

Based on the experiences of a coworker who started around the same time as myself with an extremely intelligent sophomore in Oak Ridge HS, I would say that Oak Ridge schools are not "all that." The school doesn't seem bad, but seems to have some politicking going on. Sophomore was previously home-schooled via an on-line academy in another state, and appears to be more challenged by the social and time-mgmt aspects than the curriculum based on my interactions with the student.

Lots of college opportunities in the area, even if you don't go orange. Many artistic and sporting activities in the area as well. A little spartan on the world food options, but I've found a few gems.

I work in high tech, so don't have a good idea as to skilled trade jobs in the area, but seems like more of those local companies have shiny buildings and plenty of cars out front vs. smaller niche retailers. If you are interested in jobs at the D of Energy facilities in the area, shoot me a PM, I can offer my thoughts.

=RT=
ratthing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 06:08 PM   #59
Mtn Man
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 208
Okay ... Why not.

Grew up in East Tennessee, lived in Sweetwater and Maryville most of my life. Maryville has a wonderful school system, mountains in your back yard, 45 min from Tellico trails, lots of job options, create people and some of the best riding in America ... IMO.

West Tennessee is flat, middle is better but East is the riding destination with good options for the family.

I might be a little ... Well I call this God's country!
DRZ 400
Harley Road Glide
Mtn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:07 PM   #60
internalcombust OP
Yes its dirty, thanks.

Anybody have input on Dayton? Seems to be some great homes there, and good school system.