Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2013, 07:40 PM   #8446
corndog67
Banned

Oddometer: 1,281
If your chain is making a lot of noise, it's probably history. I use the highest quality chain I can buy (to me, you can't get a better chain than DKD ZVM). And also good sprockets. And in my opinion, .300 or .375 is too tight. I run the bit looser than most, an old employer of mine, an AMA Tuner of the Year, told me looser is better than tighter, too tight and you wear swingarm, wheel bearings, countershaft bearings and everything else. A lot of people (in my opinion) don't pay attention to their chain maintenance and some people pay the big price when their chain breaks and goes through the cases (I totaled a bike like this, repair cost more than the bike was worth).
corndog67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 06:07 AM   #8447
wiseblood
Hall Monitor

Oddometer: 12,426
Quote:
Originally Posted by nattyMo View Post
Are you loosing coolant? Keep a close watch on its level, if the level drops much it is going someplace.

This!

On my Tiger (which I owned prior to the SMR), I started losing coolant. It wasn't on the ground, and it was persistent. (Occasionally, you might overheat and coolant will belch out of the overflow. If your levels are going down all the time, that's different.)

This might be accompanied by the bike running "hot" -- maybe one bar over the usual level.

Eventually, the oil contaminated with coolant will whip up into a mayonnaise, like this:

If you run on "oilant" for very long, you will wear down your main bearings, and fry your engine. I've not yet gone through the ritual of water pump replacement, but if I started losing coolant through no obvious leak, I'd check the oil filter. If it didn't look "normal" (pleats should be straight -- not "wavy") or if the oil didn't look right, I'd replace the pump. It's relatively cheap to fix, thankfully.

BTW, if you drain the oil, it might not look very odd. The engine heat can boil off the liquid in the sump, but your top-end might be filled with mayo.

Big Apple Tag-o-Rama Maps: Click Here!
wiseblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 02:34 PM   #8448
ridemorestressless
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
rear sprocket removal

Looking over the sprocket on the real wheel while the new parts are in the mail. How do you get it off? The hex heads on the bolts are on the inside of the wheel.
ridemorestressless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 06:42 PM   #8449
nattyMo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 569
The sprocket carrier just slides out from the wheel, once out you'll have easy access to the bolts.

NM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridemorestressless View Post
Looking over the sprocket on the real wheel while the new parts are in the mail. How do you get it off? The hex heads on the bolts are on the inside of the wheel.
nattyMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 06:59 PM   #8450
ridemorestressless
Adventurer

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nattyMo View Post
The sprocket carrier just slides out from the wheel, once out you'll have easy access to the bolts.

NM
Old 04-09-2013, 08:53 PM   #8451
wiseblood
Hall Monitor

Fuel pressure noise

Strange... This afternoon, after an 11 mile ride home in about 80F degree weather, I parked and I heard a whining sound. Video:

I assume that is caused by pressurized fuel from the heat. Is that normal for the SMR?

Old 04-10-2013, 04:56 AM   #8452
900rider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 643
Could also be a partially blocked vent line. Id guess it was trying to draw air in because of the drop in fuel level? Though 11 miles wouldn't use much fuel. Check your vent line for blockage and that it isn't kinked.
900rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 06:14 AM   #8453
wiseblood
Hall Monitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 900rider View Post
Could also be a partially blocked vent line. Id guess it was trying to draw air in because of the drop in fuel level? Though 11 miles wouldn't use much fuel. Check your vent line for blockage and that it isn't kinked.
Air was blowing out, as far as I could tell. I just assumed it was from gas expanding in the heat.

Old 04-10-2013, 08:38 PM   #8454
Zwoehr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
I just picked up a 950 SM and am having some issues that I think are related to the fueling. It has FMF 4.1 silencers I havent opened up the carbs yet to see what jets it is using. The issue I'm having is with jerky throttle response going from no throttle to very little throttle at low speed (way more abrupt than my 525 or 200). Also the bike has died while idling when warmed up. Has anyone else had these problems? Any ideas? I don't really want to use one of the jetting setups that use a prefilter if I don't have to. I won't be riding in the dirt very often so they don't seem like the best option for me.
Zwoehr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:19 PM   #8455
Just Bob
Been There Done That

Oddometer: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zwoehr View Post
I just picked up a 950 SM and am having some issues that I think are related to the fueling. It has FMF 4.1 silencers I havent opened up the carbs yet to see what jets it is using. The issue I'm having is with jerky throttle response going from no throttle to very little throttle at low speed (way more abrupt than my 525 or 200). Also the bike has died while idling when warmed up. Has anyone else had these problems? Any ideas? I don't really want to use one of the jetting setups that use a prefilter if I don't have to. I won't be riding in the dirt very often so they don't seem like the best option for me.
What year / how old is the bike? Mileage? Could be just gunked up carbs from ethanol. I'd say clean the carbs and set the floats to spec before changing anything. Maybe raise the the needles to position three like most have to eliminate cruise surge. Clean gas in it? Has it sat awhile? Good plugs? Clean air filter? Do the basics first.
Old 04-11-2013, 06:16 PM   #8456
ridemorestressless
Adventurer

06 950sm orange

I have searched everywhere and can't find the orange tank spoilers for my KTM 950sm. Can someone please point me in the right direction.
Old 04-11-2013, 07:44 PM   #8457
Zwoehr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
jetting issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Bob View Post
What year / how old is the bike? Mileage? Could be just gunked up carbs from ethanol. I'd say clean the carbs and set the floats to spec before changing anything. Maybe raise the the needles to position three like most have to eliminate cruise surge. Clean gas in it? Has it sat awhile? Good plugs? Clean air filter? Do the basics first.

It's a 2006 with 6000 miles on it so i think it's safe to say that it has done some sitting. My first thought was clogged jets from lack of use, but it will usually start without the choke around 55F and the exhaust smells gassy at idle so it might not have stock jets in it. I'm going to put new gas in it and ride it. I might have time to clean the carbs this weekend. Hopefully I will find stock jets that are just gunked up. Low speed throttle response is terrible right now.
Zwoehr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 07:47 PM   #8458
900rider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 643
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zwoehr View Post
It's a 2006 with 6000 miles on it so i think it's safe to say that it has done some sitting. My first thought was clogged jets from lack of use, but it will usually start without the choke around 55F and the exhaust smells gassy at idle so it might not have stock jets in it. I'm going to put new gas in it and ride it. I might have time to clean the carbs this weekend. Hopefully I will find stock jets that are just gunked up. Low speed throttle response is terrible right now.
Sounds like the pilot circuit id fubar'd.

Don't waste your time with new gas, it won't help. Pull the carbs and clean them well.
900rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 08:07 PM   #8459
KHVol
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridemorestressless View Post
I have searched everywhere and can't find the orange tank spoilers for my KTM 950sm. Can someone please point me in the right direction.
MCMANN my have some he will sell you.....PM him....
Old 04-12-2013, 10:46 AM   #8460
tarantulahawk
slipperyhellionon2wheels

Oddometer: 32
'06 SM, backfiring, running rough(er)

Howdy!

I posted a couple weeks ago about my '06 SM. She sat for about four years and was recently given a thorough carb clean-out and run check by a reputable mechanic right before I took took delivery from the PO, who is a dear friend.

From what I know about the bone-stock Cal emissions nonsense on these bikes, they're expected to do at least a little bit of backfiring on decel and be a bit stumbly off idle, with occasional stalling at idle.

This bike is no exception; it has exhibited these basic traits since day one.

I have no reason to believe that any of the typical fixes have been done to this machine (i.e. jet needles at third position, SAS yank, Canisterectomy, etc.) and I am actually not sure if the carbs were synced when the bike was examined last (we asked for low budget get 'er running, not full going-over from the mechanic).

Things were going okay in a daily-rider sense (I had gotten used to the not-quite-all-there feeling of knowing I have some work to do) until yesterday. I took her out for a short blast through the city and she started acting really grumpy. Really grumpy. Difficulty accelerating away from lights at like 1/8-1/4 throttle, surging after 1/4 throttle (terrifying!) and general rough running at anywhere under 25mph.

I'm in the final stretch at school and my time is at a premium. I have the SAS block-off plates and was considering burning off a whole day doing that, but noticed on one of the many tutorials out there that there was a warning against pulling the SAS if you have stock pipes with a cat.

Other questions I have are,

1. Has anyone had luck using Seafoam in these bikes? Are there any quick-fix plastic-tank-friendly fuel system cleaners that are approved for this machine? The carbs were gunked pretty bad when the mechanic was in there, I figure it couldn't hurt to run some cleaner through them...

2. Would it be a good idea to just get in there to pull the needles out a notch? I'm pretty comfortable getting in there to do just that one thing. I don't have a lot of $$, so going to a mechanic or throwing down for a jet kit is kinda out of the question, at least until summertime.

Thanks guys!

Tarantulahawk