User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2013, 10:28 AM   #1
precarious OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 550
BMW R1100 RSL questions...

I know a guy who has a 1996 R1100 RSL which needs a clutch. He's looking for about $2200 as is. The bike has about 40K on it, and he's the only owner.

Is it a worthwhile deal? I'd be doing the work myself. I know it's a lot of labor to do a clutch; actually, the reason my buddy sold his R12GSA was because it needed a rear main seal, and he didn't feel like putting the time in.

Just wondering if it's more hassle than it's worth. I've got an SV650 as my daily steed. This just seems like an interesting opportunity to join the German club.

Thanks in advance.
precarious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 03:04 PM   #2
Ritalin Boy
Petroconsumptivitius

Oddometer: 5,177
Quote:
Originally Posted by precarious View Post
I know a guy who has a 1996 R1100 RSL which needs a clutch. He's looking for about $2200 as is. The bike has about 40K on it, and he's the only owner.

Is it a worthwhile deal? I'd be doing the work myself. I know it's a lot of labor to do a clutch; actually, the reason my buddy sold his R12GSA was because it needed a rear main seal, and he didn't feel like putting the time in.

Just wondering if it's more hassle than it's worth. I've got an SV650 as my daily steed. This just seems like an interesting opportunity to join the German club.

Thanks in advance.
At that price and mileage if you had Max do the clutch and make sure all the recalls / updates were done you'd still be ahead.

that's assuming it wouldn't cost more than 1k from Max.
Ritalin Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 05:49 PM   #3
ramon
weezin' the juice!

Oddometer: 1,095
I'd be all over that deal, given the rest of the bike is top
Old 04-07-2013, 06:31 PM   #4
elementalg20
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 771
Its not an easy job from the research I have done a couple of quirks. I sold one that had a failing clutch with 90k miles and should not have. If it is otherwise good shape its worth it if you are capable of the job. Hopefully its equipped like mine heated grips risers nice screen, luggage etc. I let the job scare me and should not have.

Gone...1998 Triumph Trophy 1200 2000 KTM Adventure 640, 1994 BMW R1100RS, 2002 BMW K1200RS,1999 VFR800, 1996 VFR750, 1985 Maxim X, 198x 250LTD
elementalg20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 09:05 PM   #5
bdonley
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by precarious View Post

Thanks in advance.
I *really* liked mine. Smooth, fast, very good in the canyons. Knee issues forced me to sell it, or it'd still be here. But, a clutch job on one is not a small matter. Go to the Oilheads forum and do a search before you do anything.... BTW, if it helps, I sold the one in the photo, with 22k on it for $3500.
bdonley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 09:33 PM   #6
ramon
weezin' the juice!

Also, it's not a hard job, just time consuming. If you are doing the job yourself, you could have a sweet bike for little coin. Not sure the market in your area, but around here they fetch big bucks
Old 04-07-2013, 09:34 PM   #7
ramon
weezin' the juice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdonley View Post
I *really* liked mine. Smooth, fast, very good in the canyons. Knee issues forced me to sell it, or it'd still be here. But, a clutch job on one is not a small matter. Go to the Oilheads forum and do a search before you do anything.... BTW, if it helps, I sold the one in the photo, with 22k on it for $3500.
Damn, for $3500, I'da been all over that thing like a cheap @$$ suit!!!!!
Old 04-08-2013, 06:32 PM   #8
bdonley
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramon View Post
Damn, for $3500, I'da been all over that thing like a cheap @$$ suit!!!!!
Just what they go for around here. Central coastal California. Great bike. 22k miles. All service records.ABS, peg lowering kit, tall Clearview screen, etc. The ones with lowers are fairly rare in the US. Probably the best road bike I've ever owned. And it was clean..........
bdonley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 07:19 AM   #9
precarious OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 550
Thanks for the input. I think I'm all in on this one.
precarious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 08:25 AM   #10
baloneyskin daddy
bikaholic

Oddometer: 1,960
The clutch install is time consuming but not that hard.There's an order of disassembly and reasemmbly that needs to be followed and I did it without using any special tools. My ? is,why does it need a clutch already? I ran the snot out of mine and it lasted 75,000.
baloneyskin daddy is offline   Reply With Quote