ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2013, 07:13 PM   #331
Charleston
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodline View Post
Charleston- did you happen to pay attention to the drive mode on the Tenere? T mode is pretty mild in the lower gears.
Ya I did try both modes but it just didnít pull from way down low like the FJR did. I really thought it would be the opposite.
Old 04-08-2013, 07:23 PM   #332
Charleston
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cataract2 View Post
I liked the Tenere and knew that compared power wise to the FJR that the FJR had more ponies. Yet, I thought the Tenere had more than enough for me. Nice mild mannered. As blood mentioned though. In sport mode the Tenere does have some nice get up and go above 3k. I did notice that the Tenere was a bit choppy on and off the throttle compared to the FJR. That might have been just me though. The FJR would make a very capable sport touring machine though and my wife liked the seat on it. Would need a backrest for the Tenere for her to like that one as she felt she would slide off due to the seat being slick.

Going to need to take a GS out to see how a side by side comparison is between the two.
The FJR was scary in S mode. The Tenere was nice but it didnít seem as precise as the FJR but they are apples and oranges. I would guess that the GS has a better feel. My R1100S felt pretty good and has the same basic guts as the GS. I wanted to like the Yamaha because you can get parts anywhere unlike the BMW.
Old 04-08-2013, 07:37 PM   #333
Cataract2
Where to?

Oddometer: 1,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charleston View Post
The FJR was scary in S mode. The Tenere was nice but it didnít seem as precise as the FJR but they are apples and oranges. I would guess that the GS has a better feel. My R1100S felt pretty good and has the same basic guts as the GS. I wanted to like the Yamaha because you can get parts anywhere unlike the BMW.
The parts deal is what draws me to the Yamaha. Although, I feel as long as I can order parts to be shipped to me then it's not a big deal. Yet, being stuck somewhere.

The BMW though has a rep for being reliable and the granddaddy of the adv touring machines. From what I understand though the Yamaha also has a good rep from the euro riders. Think it's going to be a toss up in the end. Any word about passenger comfort between them?
Old 04-09-2013, 04:45 AM   #334
bloodline
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charleston View Post
Ya I did try both modes but it just didnít pull from way down low like the FJR did. I really thought it would be the opposite.
The $0.50 clutch mod takes care of this but I don't really like it. I've come to enjoy the smoothness of the factory mapping. The bike has about a 30% HP dip at lower rpm in the first 3 gears. Clutch mod takes away the dip and makes it pretty violent. I prefer t mode for 2 up and dirt riding.
bloodline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 06:27 AM   #335
Charleston
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cataract2 View Post
The parts deal is what draws me to the Yamaha. Although, I feel as long as I can order parts to be shipped to me then it's not a big deal. Yet, being stuck somewhere.

The BMW though has a rep for being reliable and the granddaddy of the adv touring machines. From what I understand though the Yamaha also has a good rep from the euro riders. Think it's going to be a toss up in the end. Any word about passenger comfort between them?
I didnít try it 2-up. I loved my BMW but it left me stranded once so parts and repair availability are more important to me now than before. The input shaft to the transmission failed going over the Wando bridge. It was pretty scary coasting uphill through the trucks. If this happened while out on a trip it would have sucked worse. Supposedly the input shaft was a know issue that doesnít happen anymore but I have heard about failures of the rear end gears. The GS might be a nicer riding bike and the Tenere might be more reliable but Iím no expert.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:05 AM   #336
Okeedokee
Tiger Lover

Oddometer: 77
Armenia Dual Sport Event

Sorry if I have overlooked the best thread for this, but has anyone on this one decided to go to this event?
2011 KTM 300-XC "Blazin Orange too"
Okeedokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 02:18 PM   #337
BigWrench
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
Armenia Dual Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okeedokee View Post
Sorry if I have overlooked the best thread for this, but has anyone on this one decided to go to this event?
Wouldn't miss it... hope to see you (all) there

went last year and the year before also, GREAT FUN

BTW, hope to ride some tomorrow, maybe James Island or

if someone knows Johns Island would be good
Old 04-20-2013, 10:19 AM   #338
StolenFant OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 241
Absolutely going to Armenia, what about tomorrow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okeedokee View Post
Got email from Marvin that he's got my registration for Armenia. I'm pretty certain Bloodline, and Hal (sorry, forgot your nickname) are going too.
What about Wambaw tomorrow, Sun April 21. Also noticed Enoree finally opened last week. Let's plan a Saturday ride up there. I'd be up for sharing hotel and spending night if we want to ride all day.

Anyone know where can I buy yearly trail pass for SC's OHV trails?

Clint

Sent email about tomorrow and Enoree to the list. call my cell or email if you are interested. I may not log back in here before leaving in the morning.
StolenFant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 12:29 PM   #339
BigWrench
Gnarly Adventurer

OHV pass

I wish I was able to ride today but am recovering from sickness right now. I'm up for the Enoree trip as soon as I heal up (hope by next weekend) but you should consider Cedar Springs and Parsons mtn, they are pretty close to Barnwell and the same OHV yearly pass is good at all 4 USFS OHV trails in SC. The pass has never been easier to obtain, just bring a check for $50.00 (per year) instead of your usual $5.00(per day) and fill out the day form adding your DL# and address, put the check and form in the drop box onsite. Write purchased yearly pass on your day pass along with the date and check # and use it as a temporary pass untill they mail your actual pass. Mine arrived in about 3 weeks. Hope to ride with yall soon.
Old 04-22-2013, 03:18 PM   #340
ob1quixote
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 415
This just in...new section of trail at the Armenia DS...5-6 miles of virgin trail...gonna help cut and arrow, and do a little bit of deflowering!
ob1quixote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 06:57 PM   #341
Laura0107
Retrophilic Rambler

Oddometer: 1,156

Hi, guys. I've got a trials bike coming and need to make some room, so my 1996 DR350SE is up for sale. I'll take some proper photos and advertise it in the FM and on CL over the next few days, but meanwhile I thought I'd give you folks advance notice in case someone needs a nicely modded DS ride on the cheap. If so, let me know and spare me the aggravation of officially advertising it. It's got 7700-ish miles on it. Koubalinks, TCI Borrego rear rack, Seatconcepts seat, Tusk hand guards, Ken Sean mirrors, Yamaha Raptor petcock, and new OEM clutch plates (steel & fiber) and new OEM clutch springs. I did the T-vent mod, bypassed the clutch & side stand safety switches, and right now it has a 14T front sprocket (down one). Pirelli Scorpion Pro front tire and Kenda Trackmaster II rear with some life left in them. New Yuasa battery, Uni air filter, new x-ring chain and fresh fork oil at 6K miles. Ram ball, roll chart holder, and long SAE lead wired to battery are included. After cleaning varnish from the pilot jet recently and replacing some other carb bits, I now run it dry in between rides, and also keep it on a battery tender. I am keeping the tailbag pictured and the Rotopax jug and mount. I'll leave the metal plate running down the center of the rear rack, though, and the buyer can screw his own Rotopax mount to it if desired. With the 14T sprocket and 6 speeds, it is ready for most anything you can throw at it. I would like to let all the aforementioned goodies go with the bike. The bad -- high beam on the headlight doesn't work, the helmet lock vibrated off, and it has some scuffs and scratches from the woods. A previous owner painted the plastics black. Spare box of parts include misc clutch parts, o-rings, an oil filter, a new clutch cable, new clutch cover gasket, new ez pull clutch arm, extended fuel screw, original mirrors, passenger pegs, original seat foam and purple vinyl seat cover, and original hand guards.

$1,850. If I have to go any cheaper than that, I'll probably remove some of the goodies, and I hate to do that. It's an aweome bike, but I'm keeping the DR650SE and letting this one go. My trials bike will have a seat, and I can use it for playtime on the farm instead of the 350.

Old 04-27-2013, 04:56 AM   #342
BigWrench
Gnarly Adventurer

Wambaw 4/27/2013

Headed up to ride wambaw this morning, should be at the start around 9:45. I'll wait till 10 before heading into the forest in case some of you want to ride also.
After will probably find lunch in the area and ride some of the service roads. I finally got a smarter phone so I can check e-mail now. kenmking@aol.com
Old 04-30-2013, 09:18 PM   #343
StolenFant OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 241
Armenia new trails

Nice!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ob1quixote View Post
This just in...new section of trail at the Armenia DS...5-6 miles of virgin trail...gonna help cut and arrow, and do a little bit of deflowering!
StolenFant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 07:16 PM   #344
Laura0107
Retrophilic Rambler

Oddometer: 1,156
Y'all should check out the state ride to lunch thread for this Saturday, starting w/post #1102. The Race to Ridgeland looks like a fantastic event. New inmate Motogirl25 (DRZ) and I (DR650) might do the WMA's over on the Savannah and possibly Augusta Stagecoach Road in the afternoon. Come join us! I think this day might even see Speedy off of a tractor and onto his XRL.

Thanks for letting me spam your thread earlier. My DR350 went to a great guy from North Chas., and I've been putting around the yard for the last two nights on an '08 Scorpa TY-S125F. Gotta lot to learn.
Old 05-02-2013, 10:39 AM   #345
EternalGreen
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura0107 View Post
Thanks for letting me spam your thread earlier. My DR350 went to a great guy from North Chas., and I've been putting around the yard for the last two nights on an '08 Scorpa TY-S125F. Gotta lot to learn.
Thanks to Laura0107 for an amazing bike! It's my first bike and I'm loving it so far. She was very nice and I'm impressed by her excellent maintenance and record keeping, hopefully I'll pick up some of these habits.

I hope to see you all on the road!
EternalGreen is offline   Reply With Quote