User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2013, 12:42 PM   #1
Phoenix101 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 657
F650GS Rear Shock recommendation

My bike is a 2003 F650GS that I dual sport on (last year tried to make Inuvik NWT; this year a back road tour of Western Montana) anyway with my big butt on the bike and loaded with gear I do not have much clearance so I was thinking of upgrading the rear shock (along with a heavier spring).

I was thinking of purchasing an Ohlin but now leaning toward a Wibur... but now I have another idea... send the shock to EPM in New Jersey and have them rebuild and re spring the shock? (a whole lot cheaper) http://www.epmperf.com/

Thoughts are if we rebuild and re-spring the shock I will do the wife's G650GS too

Looking for comments about EMP Performance in NJ and

Comments on Wilbur Vs Ohlin rear shock upgrades.

I'm sure there is a thread on the shock comparison somewhere but could not find it other than the comments of F650.com

Appreciate any comments thanks. Mike

Phoenix101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 05:23 PM   #2
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

Oddometer: 7,186
I don't know much about the place in New Jersey, but I use ProPilot Suspension in New Jersey for Ohlins shocks.

I have them front and rear on my 1150 GS and rear on my Dakar. They are fantastic. They were set up for me and my riding style and amount of luggage and they have transformed the bike.

I don't know much about Wilbers but I do know that there is an Ohlins dealer who can service your shock in nearly every state, if that means anything for you. I don't know where you have to send the Wilbers for service.

I don't believe there is a low-end Ohlins for the F650 GS. The Sertaos have a 600 USD shock, but the one for my Dakar-- the only one-- was about 1200 USD give or take. Remote resevoir, remote pre-load, compression and rebound damping.

In any case, the bike has been transformed. I almost always travel loaded for camping, and I'm a big guy, so the spring is stout.

-- It's in their hands. Our message is clear. They're seeing our determination.
Schlug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 08:00 PM   #3
michael1968
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 669
Wibers make a good shock, I'd say they are about the same as the Olhins in quality/performance.

I got a really good deal on a Wilbers for my F650, have a look on german ebay, they seem to be cheapest there. It was about 850 AUD/USD delivered to Australia with a remote resevoir and extended in length (I have yamaha forks).

I've heard varying reports on rebuilding the stock shock, some have failed after a few thousand miles, some have gone quite a bit longer. At best your only going to get it as good as it was new, the aftermarket shocks perform much better.

Cheers,
Michael
michael1968 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:26 PM   #4
Phoenix101 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 657
thanks for the responses, anyone else?

Phoenix101 is offline   Reply With Quote