Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Some Assembly Required
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2013, 12:18 AM   #451
TwinDuro
Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer: 280
Flippin' awesome! The post jet-change plug color looks great and the 'sled looks right at home ripping among the sand...

No offense to the thumpers, twins and triples of the world, but as far as the sexiness per revolution ratio of dirt-bike engine noises go, the CBRZ-650 wins!

Old 04-02-2013, 04:11 AM   #452
Mr. Fisherman
oneandahalfassed

Oddometer: 10,357
Looking good! Getting closer
Mr. Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:53 AM   #453
LC Garage
On Any Sunday

Oddometer: 654
The math...

Luke, I'm assuming you've done the math with engine rpm/internal ratios/final drive ratios/rear tire diameter? If so, you should have a number for how many rpm per mph? ( I heard OC loaned you a tachometer)

Air intake could definitely be a choke point and it seems like you've also got a ton of wheel-spin.

On another tangent, how fast do you really need/want to go anwyay??
Old 04-02-2013, 08:16 AM   #454
gravityisnotmyfriend
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 800
Man, that thing sounds wicked - especially at the 14 sec mark where he punches it. That's just awesome.

Did you let youtube do it's "autostabilization" thing to your video? Maybe it's just me - but it makes it hard to watch. Feels like LSD flashbacks...
gravityisnotmyfriend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:50 AM   #455
oregoncoast
Racing Like a Noob

Oddometer: 4,379
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravityisnotmyfriend View Post
Man, that thing sounds wicked - especially at the 14 sec mark where he punches it. That's just awesome.

Did you let youtube do it's "autostabilization" thing to your video? Maybe it's just me - but it makes it hard to watch. Feels like LSD flashbacks...
I agree about the youtube auto stabilizing thing...I need to upload it again without that crap.
oregoncoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:27 PM   #456
gravityisnotmyfriend
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 800
You should be able to disable it without re-uploading. Just bring up the video while you're signed in and click on the magic wand looking thing under the video - it's called "enhancements". You should be able to disable it there.

I thought it'd be a good thing on most of my videos too, but it just makes everything look wonky. Now, I wish they'd stop asking me if I want to use it every time I upload a video!
gravityisnotmyfriend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:03 PM   #457
Easy-Z
Me wanna be

Oddometer: 3,397
Normally I don't like any inline 4. But that's easily the coolest one I've ever heard!
Easy-Z is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 11:23 PM   #458
Luke OP
GPoET&P

Oddometer: 3,994
The Desert 100 is this weekend in Odessa, WA. Time for some seriously last minute prep.

First up was revalving the shocks. They are originally for an MX quad, so were really stiff. Anything rougher than packed gravel was a really harsh ride. I didn't take any pictures while I was working, so I'll steal someone else's:

This is from trxxx250r's rebuild thread on yfzcentral.com

The shocks are similar to ones I've rebuilt before except that they use a hypodermic needle to inflate and deflate the bladder. Of course I managed to stick the needle through one of the bladders. Since it was two days before the race the regiment voted for repair. I'll report later on whether tire patches hold on shock bladders.

I used a program called shimrestackor to help with the valving. It's worked pretty well for me in the past. Here's the rebound stack:

The program works with a spreadsheet. Enter the shim stack and the valve geometry and it will tell you how much damping force you get for different shaft speeds.

I didn't get much of a test ride on it, but it seems to work pretty well. Well enough that I'll probably dig into the forks before going back to the shocks again.

The timing was set wrong, was using the settings for a different sort of motor. The original timing was set to 35* full advance, and should have been 40*. The pickup plate needed to be moved and a new setting chosen on the ignition module.

A steering damper is always nice, especially reassuring when the chassis geometry is questionable. I'd made the mounting plate a while ago, today I cut the plate out for the arm and welded the post tower to the frame.

Check the headbolt torque. The first time I checked they'd backed out to around 1/4 the correct torque. This time they were all tight.

I got tired of looking in the manual to find the specs for the valve clearance, so etched them in the case under the valve cover.

A couple of the valves had tightened up, so will have to keep checking them often until they settle.

Last up was an oil change. Nothing special, but most importantly: no big chunks of metal. Lots of little break-in flecks, though.
Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 03:56 AM   #459
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 9,908
Good luck at the D100.
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 08:12 AM   #460
Motomuffin
CSMC

Oddometer: 534
Have fun!
Old 04-05-2013, 08:45 AM   #461
Scott_PDX
Leisure Engineer

Oddometer: 2,194
Take lots of pictures! Or better yet get somebody to take pictures of you screaming by on your new rocketship!

My MotovLog (Youtube Videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/scottb572/videos

Where Am I via SPOT (Code SCT): http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=719703
Scott_PDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 03:29 AM   #462
Mr. Fisherman
oneandahalfassed

Can't wait to hear about and maybe see footage of the new top speed. Another 5* ought to do something. Hope the bottom end is ok.

Have fun, I wish I was going.
Old 04-09-2013, 12:12 AM   #463
Luke OP
GPoET&P

Oddometer: 3,994
Desert 100 Race report

Thanks for all the good wishes; this weekend went great!

Allan and I drove up to Odessa on Friday and got settled into the ADV cattle chute corner camp. Directions were basically "go to the SE corner, look for the white pickup with the white toyhauler and KTMs parked near it".

We found it.

There was a poker run on Saturday, we were originally going to sign up for the Family Run but the Ironman t-shirts looked cooler, so we signed up for that instead. None of us had street legal bikes, so the Dualsport ride was out. Since the hard parts of the Ironman course are usually included in the race it was just as well that we try it.

Here's a video from the Ironman course, it's a bit of narrow trail that runs between the river and a railroad bed. This part is usually in the race but was cut out this year. It usually causes a huge bottleneck and a drowned bike or two.

Getting the bike through rocks didn't always go so smoothly:

I gained an inch of ground clearance on Saturday. More towards the edges. I did drop the bike a few times; a couple of times from stalling it, another couple of times from running out of clearance on sidehills. The bike took a bit of getting used to; line selection is different- avoid sidehills and big rocks but steep grades are no problem.

I gave Don and Rick a worry on the Poker run. Towards the end they went ahead of me then I stopped for a guy that was stuck, he'd broken his clutch cover, lost his oil and was pushing. I didn't pack the tow rope thinking someone else would need it but it worked out. It took a while to finally catch up.

After we got back we made some repairs; adjusted the idle mixture to help with the stalling and replaced the tires and rear sprocket.

The rear brake boiled during the poker run even though I wasn't using it much, the bungee in the picture is an improvised return spring that fixed the problem.

We also put in some more plastic to keep dust of the air filter.

Sunday was race day. It rained overnight which was great, it stopped the dust, but it made some parts a bit slippery. The fresh tires were great.

The weather forcast had been good, and there was a huge turnout. Somewhere in the neighborhood of a thousand racers.

Don and Rick:

Paul:

Yours truly:

Being in the vintage class, I started in the second wave, which was half the size and far more sane than the first wave. The lack of dust was wonderful.

Beginning:

End:

Here are a couple of video clips from the race itself. The first is a bottleneck; the course went into a box canyon and out the two corners. This was my only drop of the race. The video's a bit dull for the first 30 seconds, I was caught on some sagebrush.

Here's a clip of some trail that wasn't all whooped out.

It was a good weekend.

Now all I have to do is get ready for Mexico. It's a huge boost to have the bike do well at the Desert 100, it's short but much rougher than Mexico.
Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 01:08 AM   #464
jesusgatos
fishing with dynamite

Oddometer: 2,250
Ah, congratulations Luke! Happy to hear the weekend went so well.
Old 04-09-2013, 04:54 AM   #465
Mr. Fisherman
oneandahalfassed

So where are the finisher shirt, sticker and Iron Man shirt pics?

How is the top speed working for you? Happy with the gearing?