Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 142 votes, 4.77 average. Display Modes
Old 04-08-2013, 04:18 PM   #28156
zouch
part-time wanderer

Oddometer: 1,620
be thankful that creak was the bike,...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrsddn View Post
We ride our age in miles on/around our birthdays each year, and it's my turn this weekend. 57 big ones. Might be a slow one... I had this wierd creaking noise today, and couldn't figure it out. Thought it was the BB, or the pulleys. Turns out it was a pine chip between the cleat and pedal! No need to break out the tools.

'02 GS Adv
zouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 04:40 PM   #28157
rbrsddn
3banger

Oddometer: 2,361
Quote:
Originally Posted by zouch View Post
be thankful that creak was the bike,...

Yeah, it crossed my mind that it could be my knees! But I said, noooo, I'm a young 56!
rbrsddn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 04:46 PM   #28158
Craiger
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 300
Just a FYI 2013 Paris-Roubaix is currently being replayed on NBC Sports Network channel 220 on Direct TV
Old 04-09-2013, 04:18 AM   #28159
zippy
Hinter dem Feld

Oddometer: 2,066
Quote:
Originally Posted by Signal View Post
Outstanding week for Cancellara

Dream of having legs like that for just one day...
just when I start feeling like Fabian I turn and find out it was a tailwind

if anyone needs to drop pounds fast get ya some food poisoning. Lost between 5-8 lbs this past weekend. Woohoo better than the spa or slimfast.....
zippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 05:07 AM   #28160
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,418
Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy View Post
just when I start feeling like Fabian I turn and find out it was a tailwind

if anyone needs to drop pounds fast get ya some food poisoning. Lost between 5-8 lbs this past weekend. Woohoo better than the spa or slimfast.....
Faster maybe. Better?

Bummer that you had the creeping crud. Hope things get back to speed quickly.

Cruise intervals on the agenda for today. [sarcasm]Oh what fun![/sarcasm]

M
Old 04-09-2013, 05:24 AM   #28161
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 21,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy View Post
Been there, done that.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 06:14 AM   #28162
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,418
Gives a new meaning to 'commuter bike'

...at least on the ride home!

M
Old 04-09-2013, 01:04 PM   #28163
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer: 1,797
(Not so) little guy I became friends with yesterday. I had stopped to check my rear tire due to it seeming to be loosing air. I looked up once done and here he is! Only about 5 feet away

What else is one to do but grab the camera/phone

RxZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 01:07 PM   #28164
kbasa
Colnago!

Oddometer: 64,942
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2whl-hoop View Post
Thinking about it, since I've been riding in cooler temps, I drink even less then I normally do. And, as I said, eating and drinking during the ride is already one of my weak points. It just seems kind of off the wall to get dehydrated when riding in the 20-40 degree range. I'll try to remember to force myself to drink, even if I don't really feel like it, and I'll see if that makes a difference.
If you're thirsty, it's too late. As a test, your urine should be almost clear. Lemonade color means drink more water and iced tea color definitely means drink more water.

I'm riding tonight and Thursday night, so I've been drinking water all day and have avoided alcohol. It makes you pee, which dehydrates you. Thursday night, after I get home, I'll have a brewski and will spend all day Friday getting hydrated again for Saturday's effort.

During a ride, I try to take a good mouthful of fluid about every 15 minutes. It makes it easier to eat, too. I have trouble getting some of the extruded foods like Clif or Powerbars down, so I like to cut up an orange and carry it in my jersey. At the top of a climb, it's nice to have a little heaven in the form of an orange slice. It makes getting some food and more fluid down easier.

Regardless of the outside temp, your body is sweating when you're working hard, even if it's not evident to you. Your gear is helping that sweat evaporate appropriately.

Cramps are the precursor to a full bonk and we all know that bonking sucks.

Fuck Cancer. Ride bikes. - dave + tina
kbasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 01:27 PM   #28165
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Oddometer: 5,577
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbasa View Post
If you're thirsty, it's too late. As a test, your urine should be almost clear. Lemonade color means drink more water and iced tea color definitely means drink more water.

I'm riding tonight and Thursday night, so I've been drinking water all day and have avoided alcohol. It makes you pee, which dehydrates you. Thursday night, after I get home, I'll have a brewski and will spend all day Friday getting hydrated again for Saturday's effort.

During a ride, I try to take a good mouthful of fluid about every 15 minutes. It makes it easier to eat, too. I have trouble getting some of the extruded foods like Clif or Powerbars down, so I like to cut up an orange and carry it in my jersey. At the top of a climb, it's nice to have a little heaven in the form of an orange slice. It makes getting some food and more fluid down easier.

Regardless of the outside temp, your body is sweating when you're working hard, even if it's not evident to you. Your gear is helping that sweat evaporate appropriately.

Cramps are the precursor to a full bonk and we all know that bonking sucks.
A small roll of Tums in your underseat bag can be a lifesaver if you or a riding buddy get a serious cramp. Just suck on one or two of them. The calcium will help the muscle unlock and make it easier to stretch out.

Preventing cramps through hydration and salt intake is definitely better than getting them in the first place, though.
YakSpout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 01:30 PM   #28166
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 6,378
Yikes!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RxZ View Post
(Not so) little guy I became friends with yesterday. I had stopped to check my rear tire due to it seeming to be loosing air. I looked up once done and here he is! Only about 5 feet away

What else is one to do but grab the camera/phone

Old 04-09-2013, 01:34 PM   #28167
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 18,253
Quote:
Originally Posted by YakSpout View Post
A small roll of Tums in your underseat bag can be a lifesaver if you or a riding buddy get a serious cramp. Just suck on one or two of them. The calcium will help the muscle unlock and make it easier to stretch out.
+ 1. Late in the day of a long ride, I'll usually chew on a couple as a preventative measure. Even the cheap ones at Costco are great.
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 02:59 PM   #28168
kbasa
Colnago!

Oddometer: 64,942
Quote:

Preventing cramps through hydration and salt intake is definitely better than getting them in the first place, though.

Fuck Cancer. Ride bikes. - dave + tina
kbasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 03:44 PM   #28169
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,685
Quote:

I thought cramp was due to lack of potassium (hence bananas are good for that) ?
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 05:34 PM   #28170
2whl-hoop
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 802
Quote:

I'll bring some along when we attempt our century at the end of the month.

My problem is that I don't feel hungry or thirsty at all while I'm on the bike unless it's really hot out, so I put off drinking, and especially, eating until the last minute. Usually, by the time I eat, I have to choke it down because my mouth is pretty dry. I like Cytomax and usually bring a bottle of that as well as a bottle of plain water. Lately, in the cooler temps, they both come home barely touched...

Funny thing is that during a 45 minute spinning class I'll kill a large water bottle, but I'm a sweaty mess in those.
2whl-hoop is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: