Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2013, 06:32 PM   #16
pdxmotorhead
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 559
The water pump is basically a blender..:)

Dave
pdxmotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 07:08 AM   #17
HeatXfer
Bad knees

Oddometer: 561
Well? Did oil and water separate from your cloudy radiator water? I don't think the water pump spins fast enough to have emulsified oil & water in your system to that milky color though.

I've worked on enough boilers (hydronic & steam) to recognize dissolved air in water from heat & pressure will make it look milky. The slight orange hue is probably from rusting metal shavings left over from manufacturing or exposed steel surfaces within the cooling system.

I'm dying to find out what it really is.
HeatXfer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 09:05 AM   #18
CRW
I dont want a pickle

Oddometer: 729
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatXfer View Post
Well? Did oil and water separate from your cloudy radiator water? I don't think the water pump spins fast enough to have emulsified oil & water in your system to that milky color though.

I've worked on enough boilers (hydronic & steam) to recognize dissolved air in water from heat & pressure will make it look milky. The slight orange hue is probably from rusting metal shavings left over from manufacturing or exposed steel surfaces within the cooling system.

I'm dying to find out what it really is.
cant see the orange being rust, as the only piece in the cooling system that is steal is the water pump shaft
CRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 01:24 PM   #19
keener
Speed changes you.

Oddometer: 903
Why dont you fill up with distilled water and go for a ride then dump the water to see what you get.
Old 04-06-2013, 02:36 PM   #20
Katoom72
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 830
Quote:
Originally Posted by keener View Post
Why dont you fill up with distilled water and go for a ride then dump the water to see what you get.
^ I'd do this before doing anything else
'00 KTM 250sx -- '03 KTM 450sx -- '03 Yamaha R6 -- '08 KTM SuperDuke R --- '13 KTM 690 enduro R
Katoom72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 06:44 AM   #21
thekinghimself OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Thanks everyone for all your responses!

After I took the pic and put up the post, I re-filled the cooling system with actual radiator fluid so I could actually see the level in the overflow tank and monitor what was going on. I've been running it for a few days now and it looks to me (I've been through a few water pumps in my time) that although too not bad, but its starting to go.

The overflow tank has less and less coolant each day. So I'm guessing a small leak through the shaft and seal.

My initial cause for concern were the black specs in the coolant, but I think both HeatXfer and Orangcicle are right. It's the rubber coolant hoses deteriorating.

The Samco Hoses are over $200 with shipping!

Checking with cheapcycleparts, the OEM hoses total to just $100ish. My OEMhoses lasted 8 years and 76K, so I think I'll save the dough and replace with stock.

Now the milky white fluid. I did let it set, and it did not separate. Nor was it greasy to the touch. We do have VERY HARD water here in LA, so I'm letting my concern go for now. I'm taking The Griz's advice and doing a flush with white viniger water and distilled water.

It makes sense to me that after 76K there would be deposits throughout the cooling system. Time for the flush, new hoses and water pump.

I don't see the CJ design;s water pump shaft on KTMtwins anymore. I did find it at dualsportwarehouse for $150. He makes great stuff. The cluch basket I put in 4 years ago shows no wear whatsoever. I absolutly recomend the basket upgrade if you find you are running through clutch baskets like I was.

Again, thanks for all your input and advice. As soon as I can I will post pics of my next coolant drain (hopefully and evening this week).

I know, Very exciting. :)
thekinghimself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 07:49 AM   #22
ABuck99

Oddometer: 488
Moose Racing private labels SAMCO Radiator hose kits. MSRP on the kit for the 950/990 is $198.00 comes with hose clamps too. You should be able to buy them for around $178

Moose Part# 1902-0504 and there are 6 available as of today.
Old 04-09-2013, 12:49 PM   #23
cjracer
AWD please!!

Oddometer: 3,951
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekinghimself View Post
I don't see the CJ design;s water pump shaft on KTMtwins anymore. I did find it at dualsportwarehouse for $150. He makes great stuff. The cluch basket I put in 4 years ago shows no wear whatsoever. I absolutly recomend the basket upgrade if you find you are running through clutch baskets like I was.

:)
Great to hear the basket is giving you great results. If you have a hard time finding my stuff, feel free to email me.

Safe travels,
cj
cjracer is offline   Reply With Quote