Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2013, 03:44 AM   #1
freax OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
The Great Escape, aka the apsolutley ****kicked '77 XT500, Restoration.

Hi folks, I just registered after finding this forum/subforum and seeing how much great knowledge there is on here thought I would make a home.

I hail from NSW, Australia and have a very sorry case of an '77 XT500 here in need of a full restoration, the best part is that I got it for FREE. The worst part is that its been sitting outside for a good 6 years.

I still have the seat and the carburettor/battery box/filter box laying around so thats a plus, but as you'll see...

It has compression, at least, what you would consider to be tension when you kick it.

I have never ridden a motorbike before or worked on one but I have the general idea of them down pat, I have worked on cars before (Ford/Toyota) and I am good when it comes to electronics and I'm a genius with computers. (Held a soldering iron in my hand since I was 11, a wrench since I was 24, I'm now 28.)

I am hoping that some of you would be able to get me through the rough spots of doing this restoration. I have read and re-read a Haynes manual for my XT here twice so far and intend upon reading it again, I find it quite interesting.

Ok, hold onto your gagging hats cause here comes the UGLY photos of this truly beaten down workhorse.

freax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 04:33 AM   #2
plugeye
mc caregiver

Oddometer: 3,299
welcome.
i've seen worse. haha just kidding. i'm riding a 79 model
plugeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 05:52 AM   #3
freax OP
Adventurer

haha, thank you for your warm welcome :) Yours looks nice :)

Yeah I have been seeing quite a few XT's on the internet and none of them so far have been as far gone as mine, feel free to show how far yours has come though, I've got quite a bit of work ahead of me haven't I?

More Info and The questions:
#1, Every gear "engages", that is saying the gear lever will push into gear and I feel tension on the rear wheel at each gear, I'm probably going to pull it down to the two halves and inspect each gear.

#2, as I've said before its not seized, when I depress the starter it has plenty of resistance at a specific point (where the Kick Start indicator is white) and less at all others.

#3, The sprocket chain guard. I remember back to my bicycle days as a kid and getting things like my pants leg caught up in the rear chain and I've got a bit of concern with the lack of a chain protector on this engine, one of the thread mounting points which holds the sprocket chain guard onto the engine has snapped off right down the center on the magnesium engine housing, only a half of the hole is left there, has anyone come across this issue before and if so what was the solution? I'm thinking maybe either manufacture one out of some liquid steel and a bit of pipe stuck over it to form a mould where I can insert a screw, or buying a whole new half of the engine on eBay, is there a cheaper solution?

#4, Overboring the engine, I'm thinking of going 1mm overbore as I don't think that this has had a overbore done on it, with a standard compression ratio.

#5, Reliability is my primary concern, I'd like to swap out the con rod with a stronger rod, any suggestions? Where can I get them these days, I see only one on eBay from one source, here: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Psychic-M...item35c4ed490f

freax screwed with this post 04-06-2013 at 06:21 AM
Old 04-07-2013, 12:34 AM   #4
freax OP
Adventurer

Making a stone & spears voltage regulator.

I'm a bit of a survivalist freak, as a result I've got this unnerving fear of EMP and other such nonsense.

I've got this idea thats been on my mind for some time now, that idea is making a primitive no-silicon voltage regulator using nothing but resistors and relays.

http://homepages.donobi.net/sufuelpu...ulator_101.pdf

I'll post back here if I actually make something that works.

This is for the ultimate conversion to 12 volts nominal (11-14v DC output)
Old 04-07-2013, 04:13 AM   #5
Mr Puffin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
Freax That should keep you busy for awhile but the good thing about XT`s is that they are almost indistructable Parts are readily available both new and remanufactured Definately a Perfect machine for a survivalist

this was one of mine as it arrived......

and then built up with mainly leftovers from earlier projects
Old 04-07-2013, 04:37 AM   #6
freax OP
Adventurer

lol nice one dude! You should be proud of that, wow.

This should theoretically work between an input voltage of 1vDC and 27vDC without damage to any of the Relays due to overvoltage. (With this power going directly to the output, so the maximum amp rating is whatever your first relay's maximum is.) and blocks any voltage below 11vDC and above 15vDC voltage range.

Resistors are all 5 watt ceramics.
Relays are 12v common DPST
The lamp (LA1) is optional and requires a diode in series to prevent the battery from discharging when the motorcycle is off, the purpose of the lamp is to enable trickle charging when the engine is in higher rev ranges. (Silicon Diodes are NOT EMP proof.)
Each resistor probably requires a variable resistor in series with the other fixed resistors in-order to add fine tuning controls, so when you swap out a relay you can simply test the output voltage is within ranges and adjust accordingly each relay swap.

Operation:
RL1 is the Cutoff Relay, it cuts direct power to the load (a battery) when voltage from the Lighting coil drops below 11v.
RL3 is designed to protect RL1 from overvoltage, when the Lighting coil produces voltages higher than 15 volts, it progressivley adds resistance to RL1's coil without taking it out completely from circuit.
RL2 is designed to protect RL3 from overvoltage beyond 18 volts and up to 27 volts before it too succumbs to overvoltage.

This is just a rough draft and shouldn't be built until I've tested it, the schematic has a few numerous flaws. But its getting there.

freax screwed with this post 04-07-2013 at 05:10 AM
Old 04-07-2013, 06:33 AM   #7
freax OP
Adventurer

Updated version:

This has been tested up to 30 volts DC in the simulator, not in real life (yet), so you will need to rectify the AC coming from the Lighting coil into DC before putting it into this circuit as AC will probably make the relays chatter if it passes AC.

This is version 2 running at 30 volts, this would be the mode where it is trickle charging the battery.

WARNING: If the 30 volt limit is exceeded RL1 as shown in this schematic will trigger ON and you will see 30v or more going to your battery@!

This is one of the shortcomings of this design.

And here is v2 again running at a more sane 15 volts, in the simulation it cuts in and out at 11v and 16v.

Capacitors C1-C2-C3 are there to prevent chattering of the Relays due to AC ripple which will inevitably be on the input going to this, it /can/ theoretically pass AC if you remove the Diode, however it is not recommended.

Don't forget, the Diode WILL need to pass ALL of the current that you pull through this circuit, so use a high amperage one.

The next step will be to test this puppy on a variable power supply, and then finally eventually on a real life XT500, some major modifications may be necessary.

So DO NOT BUILD THIS, unless you are either willing to blow things up or willing to construct/design it along with me.

freax screwed with this post 04-07-2013 at 06:46 AM
Old 04-07-2013, 10:55 AM   #8
freax OP
Adventurer

I just had a breakthrough while in bed tonight and had to share.

Ladies & Gentlemen, I give you version 3:
Full 100% voltage regulation from 12vDC to 27vDC, output voltage remains within 12.5v-15vDC!!

Only one downside, its not fully EMP proof, however it will give you 100% fallback to an EMP-proof mode where it still charges the battery as soon as the input voltage drops to 15vDC. So all you would lose during an EMP event would be some hair and about 12 diodes, which are available anywhere nearly.

This version opens up the current when the input is beyond 15vDC and progressivley steps up the number of diodes in series with the output according to whatever the input voltage is. The excessive voltage is burned off in those diodes, so they must be well heatsinked!

This is an exceptionally old school way of doing it, I would love to test it out in real life.

I am now going to go to sleep and dream of roaming the globe.

Old 04-07-2013, 02:34 PM   #9
chasbo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,508
That bike is an abomination! I love it! I am in just to see what this turns into if nothing else. All I can offer is some good will and wish you a bit of luck...
Old 04-08-2013, 07:03 PM   #10
freax OP
Adventurer

Decided to invest in a little home security: Its a little heavy :P

Old 04-09-2013, 01:37 PM   #11
plugeye
mc caregiver

Oddometer: 3,299
is it just me, or are you avoiding the project?
haha
plugeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 07:19 PM   #12
freax OP
Adventurer

not avoiding, tho that has crossed my mind, I'm poor so I've gotta wait until my next paycheque comes in and then I can only buy in bursts of $200 every 2 weeks.

Also, I'm deathly afraid of it getting stolen, so security is my primary concern before it is brought over here and THEN I can start ripping it apart and working on it :)