Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2013, 08:01 AM   #2026
Thumpermeister
roost maker

Oddometer: 2,435
Quote:
Originally Posted by jersey jim View Post
The old dog still has a few tricks. It's going to be a GREAT season.
Yep. Everyone who looks at qualifying and grid positions to determine Rossi's race finish forgets 14 years of racing history. That was never his strength, and (all else being equal) he is always there in the race. No one seems to go on baked tires late-race like Rossi either. Qatar's performance charging through the pack is certainly like Rossi of old. The problem with that approach these days however might be that unlike the past, there are now guys (including a certain team mate) starting on or near the pole a few seconds ahead with clear track, who are just as fast! Should be an interesting year!
Thumpermeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:09 AM   #2027
Clem Kevin
Nude With Boots

Oddometer: 872
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumpermeister View Post
Yep. Everyone who looks at qualifying and grid positions to determine Rossi's race finish forgets 14 years of racing history. That was never his strength, and (all else being equal) he is always there in the race. No one seems to go on baked tires late-race like Rossi either. Qatar's performance charging through the pack is certainly like Rossi of old. The problem with that approach these days however might be that unlike the past, there are now guys (including a certain team mate) starting on or near the pole a few seconds ahead with clear track, who are just as fast! Should be an interesting year!
Right, even if Rossi doesn't win a bunch of races or takes the ship again, it will still be WAY more fun to watch him race than any other guy on the grid. I'm not some Rossi superfan, but I've always enjoyed his racecraft.
Clem Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:12 AM   #2028
Moronic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,533
^^^ All true. However, those who fell back on that during the Ducati years were mainly disappointed.

The ability to privilege race pace over qualifying glory was obviously still there. But it didn't get him far on the Duc, except with respect to other people on Ducs.

Now that he's back on the Yamaha, it appears Rossi fans can fall back on familiar and reliable comforts after qualifying.
Old 04-09-2013, 03:25 PM   #2029
Dansrc51
I need a cape....

Oddometer: 1,392
It'd be nice to see somebody competitive on the Duc. Cheers to Dovi for the old college try, but in the end, it was still a 7th place finish. disappointing to see Ben coming in way down in 10th. I think he has more talent then he's displayed in the last 2 years
Old 04-09-2013, 05:46 PM   #2030
ErikY.
Here, Now.

Oddometer: 2,251
I think most of us believe that if he was on a Yahondazuki he'd be up there with the others.
Watching Dovi in that race reminded me of the times where Nicky's done the same thing; hammering the bike for all it's worth, hoping like hell the tires would last, while knowing that they wont. Like at Indy where he was obviously trying to make something happen at home, but ended up leaving the race with huge chunks missing from the rear tire. They're both capable of running the bike up front but the bike isn't. So you end up just making sure you stay in front of the CRT's and don't either destroy the tires or yourself in the pointless process. Exactly what Rossi did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dansrc51 View Post
It'd be nice to see somebody competitive on the Duc. Cheers to Dovi for the old college try, but in the end, it was still a 7th place finish. disappointing to see Ben coming in way down in 10th. I think he has more talent then he's displayed in the last 2 years
ErikY. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 11:06 PM   #2031
azkiwi
message in a bottle

Oddometer: 9,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumpermeister View Post

Fuel for the fire;

http://www.crash.net/motogp/news/189636/1/qatar_motogp_rossis_race_pace_faster_and_faster.ht ml

Quote:
... two things about Rossi's race performance stand out from the other riders.

The first is that Rossi was the only person to set any sub 1m 56s laps during the second half of the race. He set five of them. The second is that Rossi's lap times kept getting faster until lap 16 of 22. Most others had peaked by lap 4, when the tyres were at their freshest.
azkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 05:40 AM   #2032
Lav1200
Pig Pen

Oddometer: 1,213
Lorenzo did an excellent job of managing his lead... Rossi has to push hard to get to the podium, but Lorenzo was not under pressure for the 2nd half of the race. I have no doubt you would have seen Lorenzo throw done some heat if Rossi was nipping at his heels. Hoping we see that in Austin.
Lav1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:58 AM   #2033
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 6,872
Lorenzo threw down 7 1:55 laps to build his 4 second lead, then backed off a tick and let the race for second build the rest.
Rossi did his fast lap on his last lap, just to make sure Marquez stayed behind him.
Once the race has been watched it is cool to go back through the race again with this lap by lap analysis.
When Cal ran wide he was still running pretty good lap times but that mistake cost him 8 seconds. By contrast when Rossi ran wide at the beginning of lap two that put him about 2 seconds back of Pedrosa. It took him to lap 18 to get back there. He went by the next lap. The next lap he was by Marquez.

If you're going to run wide do so in the opening laps, gives you more time to recover and less time to lose in the process.
I think the rest of the season the front runners will be working to not let ANYBODY get a flyer off the front.

How long to Austin?
Facebook
Smugmug
Mr Head is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:21 AM   #2034
Dansrc51
I need a cape....

Oddometer: 1,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Head View Post
How long to Austin?

too long. Running off the line in Qatar is unforgiving at best, like running off in a partially dry track. With more road and better surface I think there will be much more passing at COTA and you won't see somebody holding up the pack like Pedro did in the last race....meaning, and I hope, a great fight for the lead.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:50 AM   #2035
roadholder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,389
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lav1200 View Post
Lorenzo did an excellent job of managing his lead... Rossi has to push hard to get to the podium, but Lorenzo was not under pressure for the 2nd half of the race. I have no doubt you would have seen Lorenzo throw done some heat if Rossi was nipping at his heels. Hoping we see that in Austin.
Lorenzo did a great job of managing the lead and I expect he too had a bit more in reserve if he got pushed. You can't take anything away from Rossi's blitz through the pack of course, but when you are spotting someone just as fast as you a couple seconds (and several grid positions) at the start you are giving yourself a lot of work to do! If anyone can make up such a gap it will be Rossi though, and his late-race pace is a matter of record. However, if anyone can hold him off it will be Lorenzo!

Let's not forget Marquez' incredible debut as well, and anyone writing off Pedrosa due to one bad weekend does so at their own peril! Another track on another day could be a whole new ball game.
It should be a great season!
roadholder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:22 AM   #2036
Mr.Goose
Velvet Steamroller

Oddometer: 1,229
2 of the guys on the podium last week didn't get a very good start either
Mr.Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:13 PM   #2037
HarveyMushman
commutingmysentence

Oddometer: 16,195
Why can't they just let Rossi have all three steps of the podium?

photo galleries
HarveyMushman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:48 PM   #2038
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,265
MotoGP to test in Argentina in July prior to 2014 race. The track (clockwise) looks quite good I think.

http://www.motogp.com/en/news/2013/M...entina+to+test
swimmer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:53 PM   #2039
Pilbara
In the flow...

Oddometer: 1,571
Moto 3 rule changes - engines

Engine Crackdown

Cheers
pilbara
Pilbara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:56 PM   #2040
cogitate
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,787
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarveyMushman View Post
Why can't they just let Rossi have all three steps of the podium?
With his presence, he might as well have.

I swear, the past two years I almost fell asleep a few times watching the races. I even didn't bother to watch a few of them. Not like me I almost thought about not getting a subscription again. Glad I did.

My book "If You Look at Your Health in a New Way..." is available here
and as PDF here
available in Kindle format here
cogitate is offline   Reply With Quote