User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2013, 09:36 AM   #1
kaptinkaos OP
Just some nOOb

Oddometer: 571
Newest addition to my family - 2013 990 ADV Baja

Well... After a 4 year hiatus from these boards, a few years of it unemployed, many many kms on my 07 F650GS Dakar and a return to overseas work I finally made the jump from blue to Orange!

Now to decide on mods, farkles and toys that I feel are necessary or that I would like on the bike. I may start a separate thread just on mods and basically to track the history of the bike, but I wanted to show my face again as it were to reintroduce myself in this orange crush section (of which I was sure 2 years ago that I would never, ever be a part of...).

The Dakar is going to a very good home, one of my best friends. Am I sad? Heck ya... Does the 990 tickle me pink when I ride it? More than heck ya! Here's to many years and kms on it and many more adventures. Cheers and thanks for having me back ADVRider's!

Joe
'07 F650GS Dakar (Gone to a good home!)

kaptinkaos screwed with this post 04-20-2013 at 01:01 AM
kaptinkaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 09:51 AM   #2
Deviant666
Present

Oddometer: 526
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptinkaos View Post
Well... After a 4 year hiatus from these boards, a few years of it unemployed, many many kms on my 07 F650GS Dakar and a return to overseas work I finally made the jump from blue to Orange!

Now to decide on mods, farkles and toys that I feel are necessary or that I would like on the bike. I may start a separate thread just on mods and basically to track the history of the bike, but I wanted to show my face again as it were to reintroduce myself in this orange crush section (of which I was sure 2 years ago that I would never, ever be a part of...).

The Dakar is going to a very good home, one of my best friends. Am I sad? Heck ya... Does the 990 tickle me pink when I ride it? More than heck ya! Here's to many years and kms on it and many more adventures. Cheers and thanks for having me back ADVRider's!

Joe
She looks good but I bet she rides even better...congratulations on the your choice, I'm sure you'll forget that BMW pretty soon....heck I forgot 2 of them!
Old 04-09-2013, 10:14 AM   #3
Strokizator
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 242
I see you have the Japanese version of the Baja, known there as the Baka.

"Baka (馬鹿, ばか, or バカ) is a frequently used Japanese noun or adjective meaning "fool; idiot; jerk; dolt; imbecile; foolish; stupid; worthless; absurd; ridiculous; ..." pretty much sums it up concerning me and motorcycles.

Seriously though, enjoy the heck out of your bike.
Old 04-09-2013, 12:37 PM   #4
Dubl-A
DS Junkie

Oddometer: 1,632
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strokizator View Post

"Baka (馬鹿, ばか, or バカ) is a frequently used Japanese noun or adjective meaning "fool; idiot; jerk; dolt; imbecile; foolish; stupid; worthless; absurd; ridiculous; ..." pretty much sums it up concerning me and motorcycles.

Sweet bike, I just test rode one last weekend.
Dubl-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:57 PM   #5
travelsomewhere
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
Mods

Ditch that stock screen and get a moose shorty! Your neck will thank you and they look way cooler. I get no buffeting outmof the shorty
travelsomewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 11:50 PM   #6
freco
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Congrats. She 's awesome.
Nice choise.
freco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 07:17 AM   #7
grant22
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 429
The bajas come with the higher tune motor, correct? Does it also have the taller suspension?
grant22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 08:53 AM   #8
chrish4ku
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 740
WHITE RULES

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug
2011 KTM 990 Adventure / KTM 500 EXC
Chris' Sat Tracker
chrish4ku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 07:18 PM   #9
Skinner
Mr.KTM

Oddometer: 5,594
The white ones are so fast that color will not stick to them!

You recognize your friends by the sound of their mufflers.
http://www.meetup.com/Chicagoland-Du...torcycle-Club/
www.jimstarwaltteam.com
Skinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 12:59 AM   #10
kaptinkaos OP
Just some nOOb

Quote:
Originally Posted by grant22 View Post
The bajas come with the higher tune motor, correct? Does it also have the taller suspension?
As far as I know (and this is really limited as the orange is still only just seeping through the BMW blue on me...) the suspension is no different than past 990 ADV models. Also, I wasn't aware that the motor was higher tuned than a regular 990 ADV. It sure has a pile of power and will light up the rear tire and roll smoke in 3rd gear on these cold Canadian roads right now though, lol!

Every time I look at the white I like it more. I was "meh" about it when I bought it, but it has a "Stormtrooper" quality to it.

Bar risers are on and I may need more than the 2" these give. Next step is 3.5", but it's justifiable. I'm 6'1" and I like to ride high especially when standing:

Luggage rack is on also, but they ordered the wrong panniers. I'm fed up with Touratech so I went a different route for panniers. Hopefully by the time I get back from Albania I'll have luggage and be on my way south to the states to visit some friends in Wash/Oregon:

So... I'll throw this out there because it might save me a whole PILE of reading and bad decisions on mods/farkles/accessories. Shoot me your top 5 mods for this bike excluding exhaust and luggage. (FMF's are going on and the aforementioned is taken care of.) Cheers everyone and thanks for the hearty and warm welcome back to the fold. I felt lost outside of the ADV world just riding on my own to be honest, lol!
Old 04-12-2013, 01:01 AM   #11
kaptinkaos OP
Just some nOOb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinner View Post
The white ones are so fast that color will not stick to them!
They do if I'm in the front seat!
Old 04-12-2013, 01:03 AM   #12
kaptinkaos OP
Just some nOOb

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelsomewhere View Post
Ditch that stock screen and get a moose shorty! Your neck will thank you and they look way cooler. I get no buffeting outmof the shorty
I'm pretty tall, 6'1", and I haven't noticed a whole lot of buffeting myself. I may have my head out of the dirty air or I'm just used to dirty air and don't notice it that much. I do find it to be a lot less buffeting than the Dakar was, but I had a really tall Wunderlich screen on that bike... I might take the screen off and ride it for a short while just to see if it changes anything, but I doubt it will. Cheers!
Old 04-12-2013, 01:05 AM   #13
kaptinkaos OP
Just some nOOb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strokizator View Post

Baka... I dig it man. I have had a few bikes I would call "Baka" and this one is right up there. It's gonna be not only a handful offroad, but two handfuls. I will try to ride it like I did the Dakar, but no promises on me coming out the other side without some serious tree/trail rash, ;)
Old 04-13-2013, 02:09 PM   #14
jamesinthekeys
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Cool2 Bars

First off great bike congrats and like many have said white is the fast ones!
I have the Roxx 1 1/4" riser on my Scott's stablizer with Scott's (BRP) triple tree and it works very well you have to fiddle a little with a couple lines but it works very well.
jamesinthekeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 06:26 PM   #15
fridgyis
Fridgy

Oddometer: 44
990 baja

I have the same bike I just got a few weeks ago. It is way more powerful than the 950!
I installed wings pipes to give it a better sound and run cooler. I also ran an aux panel with a negative bus under the seat in the box where the anti lock brake stuff would have lived. This is connected to a relay switch so it is only hot when the key is on. It is switched of the aux 2 circuit. This allows all future dark les to be wired and fused under the seat. I did this mod on my 950 as well and it is a must in my opinion. No more diggin under the mask to find fuses or loose wires.

I tried to add a 2 inch rise and there is just not enough brake cable. It puts a lot of strain on the upper cable at the master cylinder . I will be ordering a new set with a longer line soon. I thinK Seiglers can do this.
I am also looking for a bolt on highway peg that will work. Any ideas?