User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2013, 02:27 PM   #1
GRinCR OP
Oppressed Nomad

Oddometer: 318
Wink Old School (Pre '96) DR650 Teardown by a Rookie

Hi all who know me and for those who do not I am GRinCR... More on Me Here (shameless self plug).

Yesterday, 05Apr13, I began facing one of my many fears: digging into an engine. My past mechanical experience includes the following:
-Oil changes
-Wheel bearings
-Drive chain replacement
-Sprocket replacement
-Bleeding brake lines
-Brake pad replacement w/deep caliper clean
-Brake rotor replacement

Up until this point that was it. I was too scared to attempt even a valve clearance adjustment, but now look what I did :

Please ask questions and leave suggestions.

Stay tuned!
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
"My father taught me to work; he did not teach me to love it." -Abraham Lincoln
GRinCR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 03:58 PM   #2
GRinCR OP
Oppressed Nomad

Pissed Murphy Should Have Kept His Laws to Himself

So I have been planning this “little” project for some time now. My DR is a 1990 model RSL with Euro style ID # SP42A. I gather this DR was born into and Italian family based on the warning stickers on the tank being written in Italian. It has unknown mileage since the speedo stopped working at 47,xxx kms. My guess is there are about 40K more since I bought it in late ’08.

There are a few reasons for wanting to tear into the engine: curiosity, since I know little of this bike’s past, there is some noise I would like to investigate and the poor bugger of an owner is having to fill it up with oil all too often. It spits a black, greasy substance out the exhaust and will foul plugs about every two months.

The logistics of getting the parts here and skirting a potential 65% import doodie are time consuming but the final box of OEM parts from www.gssuzuki.com has arrived. GSSuzuki in Wichita Falls, TX has been spectacular to work with and are very accommodating; not to mention their prices!!

General Part List:
-New Cam and Balancer Chains/Guides
-New Piston and Rings (0.5 oversized)
-New Valves (In and Ex)
-New Valve Guides
-New Oil Pump
-Many more odds and ends
-Complete gasket kit from www.wemoto.com
-More little wing dings, etc...

I enlisted the help of a few friends who are very handy when it comes to mechanics. They are supervisors who will help me through this entire process and lend me their incredible tool collection and advice so I don’t end up burying the DR and buying a scooter. Trevor and Jeri, again I thank you immensely.

Murphy’s Law
With the parts all in Costa Rica it is time to get started. It is around the 15th of March. My helpers are leaving the country for 6 months the last week of Apr so there is a bit of a time limit. Guess what?… NO F’in SPARK all of the sudden on the morning of 19Mar ! What’s the point of tearing down a bike that does not run? Murphy, I hate you.

So I start studying electrical problems on motorcycles and the no spark issue.

Step one, pull the plugs:

I cleaned those bad boys up and still no spark.

Step two and then some: neighbor lends me his bike! Trip down memory lane with a Chino 200!

Buy multi-meter and study more

The neighbor was going on a Semana Santa vacation and needed the bike back, but luckily a family friend came to the rescue and has lent me his 125 Honda. Awesome little bike! But Murphy strikes again! It killed on me the first day I had it. All electrics were shot until the bike was running and it would kill if I didn’t keep the RPM’s up.

I now have two electrically F*cked bikes in my garage.

I dig into the lil’ Honda and quickly start to find the local mechanic’s trademarks .

Luckily the diagnostic was a blown main fuse. They had used a 10A fuse where a 15A is required.

Back to my bike. My multi-meter tests were yielding nothing and I was getting frustrated . So I checked the main fuse, reinstalled the ignition coil and plugs to just give it a kick on a prayer it would fire. It did! So I went for a ride making a 3.25Km loop around the hood. I did this loop a half dozen times, turning the DR off for a 5 minute break at the house in between runs.

With clouds looming and a few scattered drops falling, it was nice to be out on the DR again.

All done, it fixed itself! Then the return of Murphy. Next morning as I go to start the bike and head to work, and the DR is dead again. No spark.

Back to the drawing board. Test the stator leads, rectifier leads...

New Plugs

Clean and revise all connections and switches.

Still nothing.

T&J my helpful mechanic friends made a special trip out to take a look (45min ride from SJO). First thing they noticed was corrosion in the main fuse box and cleaned that up. The DR fired again. I was embarrassed to say the least . Check the fuse AND the fuse box; how smart those Brits are. A quick spin around the block and we chock it up as a win. Murphy returns the next morning and I was late for work again. No spark.

With time running out, the dead DR and we now entered April, a decision is made…

GRinCR screwed with this post 04-06-2013 at 04:05 PM
Old 04-06-2013, 09:17 PM   #3
GRinCR OP
Oppressed Nomad

D-Day 05Apr13

“I’m no mechanic, but I can follow directions.” -JDowns

The day begins at O’dark thirty. Quick 0530, sunrise ride to the ATM.

Had to get some paper money for the tow to San Jose.

The decision was made to get started on the teardown. All electrical tests have checked out but for the ones with the CDI. So GSSuzuki got more of my money and fingers are crossed everything can get here before my mechanic mentors depart in 19 days.

So I had commented on the pre ’96 DR650 thread I was going to detail this teardown. I thought I was going to do it nut by nut and bolt by bolt but as the process started I realized it was has already been done. So for any noobs/knobs out there like me who fear mechanics, BUY THE MAUAL FOR YOUR BIKE ! It takes you step by step through every little process, highlighting what to be careful of. After that, all you need are the tools.

My fear has been squashed. I will also take this time to quote a very wise man and fellow ADVrider, JDowns. I had the pleasure of hosting him on his amazing journey south this winter. As we were chatting about me possibly tearing into my DR and his mechanical experience he said, “I’m no mechanic, but I can follow directions.” True that. He is wise beyond words.

So all I did was follow the directions in the manual.

There were only a few hiccups. First the cylinder head nuts that attach from the bottom: we had to mangle those off.

And the second and only really nasty surprise.

Do you see it?

Here it is a tad closer: Smashed oil journal which wasn’t supplying oil to the cam shaft.

Trevor made some comments about case pressure and how lucky I am the whole damn engine hadn’t seized on me! So, a few more $$$ have gone to Wichita Falls, TX.

Day one is finished and these parts are off to rectificaciòn.

Cross your fingers for me that the parts get here in time!

Cheers all. Hasta el proximo viernes, my next dìa libre.

PS: the CDI might not be bad. We also took a bit of time to review again the electrics on the bike to find it is not grounded to the frame or the engine case. Thus explaining why I was sometimes getting shocked through the bars when it rained.

GRinCR screwed with this post 04-06-2013 at 09:26 PM
Old 04-06-2013, 09:33 PM   #4
chasbo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,508
Very nice! Good luck on not finding anymore nasty unknown surprises along the way...
Old 04-08-2013, 03:28 PM   #5
rowie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 210
Laugh

Hey Greg,

The pipe that is chewed up is the piston oil jet. It sprays the bottom of the piston for cooling and lubes the pin and bore. The cam chain must be rooted! Hope you got a new cam chain adjuster.

Cheers,
David
Old 04-09-2013, 04:54 AM   #6
GRinCR OP
Oppressed Nomad

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowie View Post
The cam chain must be rooted!
David,

I googled it and found nothing... What does this mean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowie View Post
Hope you got a new cam chain adjuster.
Errrr. Nope. I have every other part for the bike, but that isn't one of them. With shipping times and the 24th as a deadline, I'm f*cked in the "order more parts" department.

Thanks for jumping in. Your presence is appreciated.
Old 04-09-2013, 09:58 AM   #7
GRinCR OP
Oppressed Nomad

Question A cry for help!

This deals with seating the valves:

The bike manual specifically states DO NOT use lapping compound. The guy at the shop here in Costa Rica finds this strange and insists he should and that he wouldn't be able to do the work otherwise.

Can anyone out there shed soem light on this? Will the valve/head be screwed if he does use lapping compound?

Cheers
Old 04-10-2013, 06:21 AM   #8
rowie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRinCR View Post
David,

I googled it and found nothing... What does this mean?
Just a nicer way to say it's f*cked

Quote:
Errrr. Nope. I have every other part for the bike, but that isn't one of them. With shipping times and the 24th as a deadline, I'm f*cked in the "order more parts" department.
The old one might be ok to use. There should be a bit of resistance when you wind in the screw to retract the pin. Also take the plate off the back (it's held on with the 2 small screws) and have a look inside. Mine had a bit of oxidation inside which prevented the spring from extending the pin fully. If you remove the spring to clean it out, count how many times the spring has been wound, so the tension is the same when you replace the spring. I have a spare and can take a photo if you want to see what it looks like before you disassemble yours.

Quote:
Thanks for jumping in. Your presence is appreciated.
No worries I will help where I can

Cheers,
David.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:42 PM   #9
GRinCR OP
Oppressed Nomad

The bike is still in a pile of pieces. Some with me, some in “the garage” in San Jose and others somewhere between Miami and Costa Rica.

This whole process has been quite stressful but what fun would life be if everything went smoothly? The bike was not running when we started tearing it down so we are hopefull at best it will start when reassembled. The stator, coil and R/R tests all check out in spec. So we assume it is the CDI and the CDI is in the box of parts, in route to CR via MIA. Along with the CDI are a few needed items that belong in the clutch and the smashed oil jet. It was also discovered the bike lacked a proper ground so maybe the CDI is not bad?

Shipping times have proved to be a big issue. The order was finalized and placed on 08Apr. Three to five business days to arrive in Wichita Falls, TX. Five to seven business days (total) to arrive Miami and another two to Tico Time to make it to Costa Rica and clear customs? That puts us at… F*CK!!! Past the 24th when my mechanical mentors depart the country for eternal summer back north. This plan needs some rethinking because me showing up at a local mechanic with an ice cream bucket full of parts leaves this gringo broke and no more knowledgeable of the process.

Let me say, (shameless plug) G&S Suzuki, in Wichita Falls, TX has been awesome to work with. Dealt with my daily calls and many questions. The parts finally arrived TX on 12Apr and we got to brain storming. Their system showed the earliest pickup was on Monday… Monday plus 2-3 days, plus 2-3 more days = Nope, too tight. Friday and Saturday the 19 and 20th are my days off and my wonderful friends need Monday and Tuesday to get ready for their trip. Back to The Bat Cave. Beau let me go and he started making phone calls. Before long my phone was ringing. The answer: Saturday pickup with guaranteed delivery on Monday, today, by 3pm. That means on an airplane Tuesday AM, arriving and free from customs Wednesday or Thursday at the latest, maybe.

www.gssuzuki.com, thank you! The service I received was fantastic and I have yet to find anyone with online, OEM prices as low as theirs. Cheers to you and I am a customer for life, unless I switch brands.

As if the whole shipping issue was not enough I had another dilemma with the way in which to seat the valves. The question is in the above post. I reached out to the ADVrider community and their help was also second to none. I also hit up GS Suzuki and the Suzuki dealership here in Costa Rica on the phone.
I-The dealership here appears to just wing it. No books just do it how pappy taught ya.
II-The head mechanic in Wichita Falls looked in his books for the 1990 and 1991 models and did not see anything about not using lapping compound.
III-The ADV community checked books, asked mechanics (or are mechanics) and gave their first hand opinions based on having the same bike or others very similar.
The decision was made: lap the valves (lightly) and deal with the consequences. I later received some sound advice for anyone else out there in the midst of this project, lap with the old valves.

Thank you all again. Sorry about mucho blah blah blah .

So I leave you with the only new pics to date: Shiny “new” parts...

loaded for an AM reunion tomorrow.

Hasta Viernes Si Dios Quiere.
Old 04-16-2013, 04:45 AM   #10
ben2go
Moto Flunky

Oddometer: 2,987
Yellow text is not readable on my computer and I can't seem to get the back ground color set to black.I'm stuck with a white and light blue theme.
ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:20 PM   #11
GRinCR OP
Oppressed Nomad

Rebuild, Day I

Progress. The engine is still on the table but coming together none the less.

The day of course filled with excitement but errands needed running first.

Finally at 1213 I was headed to Capital City!

I thought I had a spare oil filter, but apparently not. Had to stop by a few shops and ultimately the dealership to find one. Outside the first shop I spotted one of these :

A KTM Duke 200. I bet that thing rips compared to a Chinese 200cc moto .

And then

Arrived safely and got started

This is the part we got to do twice!

I did learn a lesson or two today. One for example would be to follow along with the book. Start skipping steps and you will need to backtrack and install the cam chain guide before the metal cylinder gasket. I also learned not to max out your torque to the biggest number on the first try. Just in case you have to back the cylinder bolts off the metal gasket and install the chain guide.

Timing seems easy enough. 1 o’clock and horizontal alignment: check! We are a bit baffled at one thing; it appears that head bold #6 has grown? We were all mentally and physically beat by 1930, it was time to stop.

She sleeps.

I hope there isn’t a quake tonight, because that fu*king engine will take a dive if so .

Sleep tight !
Old 04-20-2013, 06:37 PM   #12
GRinCR OP
Oppressed Nomad

Talking It's Alive!

0700 start this morning and more progress has been made. The DR is alive and didn't go crunch.

Lessons learned: keep track of the Magneto and Clutch cover bolts. What a pain!.

Also, what a difference it makes to have all the needed pieces in the clutch .

The end is near, I can feel it.

Where to for the first ride?
Old 04-24-2013, 12:01 AM   #13
GRinCR OP
Oppressed Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
Yellow text is not readable on my computer and I can't seem to get the back ground color set to black.I'm stuck with a white and light blue theme.

Ben , fixed. Thanks for following in highlight mode.

GRinCR screwed with this post 04-24-2013 at 12:17 AM
Old 04-24-2013, 12:11 AM   #14
GRinCR OP
Oppressed Nomad

Day II

Again sorry to those looking for a bolt by bolt teardown, but the bike manual explains just about everything you will need to be aware of. So go buy one and have at it, once you have the tools.

The day started early and with apparent problems. Something didn’t seem right with the timing. Without a doubt we had the cam chain timed right. So what to do? Start digging around. In the past days of work we have noticed that we were not the first to venture into this engine. Is it possible they took the magneto off and didn’t get it on right? The manual warns of this. Could the key have been consumed by the engine, broken or gotten wedged in there? That would explain the fact the bike wasn’t starting.

Let us take a look

That thing isn’t coming off. Plan B.

It is Saturday, things close early and this magneto is not going to budge. I call the Suzuki Dealership. Their answer was that they don’t have the ability to do the job. They don’t have the puller. I have since found it for about $60 and see that it is used on many Suzuki applications including many marine engines. Pretty sad the SUZUKI motorcycle and marine dealership does not have the tools/brains to do sh*t. That would explain why twice they missed the fact the two wave washers were missing from the clutch. This was the second time during this process I tried calling them for advice/help. Neither time were they interested in helping. One guy tried to tell me they don’t work on bikes older than 2000? His tune changed when I asked to speak to someone smarter because they have already done work on my bike. A new cam shaft in ’09. Idiots .

We take a breather, step back and run through the combustion cycle. A stick down the plug holes and turn the engine watching the valves. Everything is right. What are we doing? Put the covers back on . Be assured the next time I take the covers off I will be labeling the bolts as they come out simply to make it easy when the time comes to reinstall. One hour+ later that puzzle is solved.

I learned how to check valves next. Now I just need to buy a set of feeler gauges. Easy enough though.

Now it is time to get that engine back in the chassis. It is a heavy and awkward SOB but we got the job done. Back to the book and follow the disassembly instructions only in reverse. We also installed the new CDI box and a nice new fancy ground to the frame which was not there before. Good job again Suzuki of Costa Rica for missing that too.

Helpful note for other owners of this bike. Mitsubishi appears to make all the electrical components seen on this bike. The CDI, Magneto and Coil all carry the Mitsubishi logo and a part number. I did find the coil is used on a Kawasaki jet ski and can be bought for $65 in place of $100+ with Suzuki. I wonder if the CDI would be the same situation? I fear the answer.

It is the moment of truth. One more look over the DR and kick… Kick, kick, kick… WTF? Nothing. Kick, kick kick… Kick…

I should have turned the gas on .

Kick, VROOOM!

Sounds great and didn’t go crunch. Holy sh*t! That is what a proper clutch feels like. I took the DR around the block and we called it quits for the day. More knowledge, a busted up knuckle and a puncture wound to the tip of the thumb that went under the nail; good day!

GRinCR screwed with this post 04-24-2013 at 12:21 AM
Old 04-24-2013, 08:03 PM   #15
GRinCR OP
Oppressed Nomad

The fourth and final day was a short one. We first had to remove a bit of oil. Then to bolt down the tank, replace plastics and one last look over the bike. All was in place and it was time to ride. Gas on, kick and what a beautiful sound. I took a spin around the block to accustom myself to a functioning bike. Two laps was enough, everything felt solid. It was time to ride, and we did (here, pg. 6, post 81).

The DR back home, safe and sound.

The New Parts List (from memory):
-Piston (.05 oversized)
-Rings
-Pin
-Circle Clips (cause of thumb wound)
-Cam Chain/Guides
-CDI
-Grounded the Bike (cause of CDI failure?)
-Oil Jet for Pistion
-Valves
-Valve Seals
-A bunch of O-rings
-Gaskets
-

I am now waiting on a Motion Pro Chain Tool and will immediately change out the drive chain and sprockets. I have left over the valve guides, oil pump and balancer chain/guide, (which I will replace when I feel like buying new sprockets and the magneto puller). But first I think a new rear tire is in order.

There are 200 kms the DR now and running like a dream. Saw an oil drip yesterday, but these two bolts were the culprits.

Tightened them up and no more leaks. Lets ride.

Thank you all who helped and chimed in off and online!

FIN