Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-2013, 12:29 PM   #571
Gitana
A work in progress

Oddometer: 6,913
We are getting ready to head to Utah for a riding vacation on April 5th. I hate leaving anything behind, so I've created master lists to check the toyhauler for any missing stuff (aluminum foil, towels, etc.), my tool kit inventory, menus/food shopping, personal stuff I need. I am forever thankful that Jjustj bought the toyhauler so that I now get a hot shower and don't gave to carry everything on the bike. This will be the first time back on the bike since last year's shoulder injury. I cannot wait.
2008 WR250R | 2008 DL650
Gitana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 05:50 PM   #572
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,551
Have a great time on your motorcycle vacation, take lots of pictures and be sure to share with us.
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 06:21 PM   #573
LadyDraco
KillerSmileIHazIt !!

Oddometer: 27,098
Yes have a great time !!!!!

Check it from time to time as I'm always adding to it..
My Rides and life on the Farm
LadyDraco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 11:23 AM   #574
RicoAJP
ADV Dreamer

Oddometer: 54
Gonna save this thread and show it to my girl in the morning, think this covers everything she's ever asked me about a woman travelling by bike

thanks ladies!!
RicoAJP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 01:39 PM   #575
DantesDame
Ridin' Fool

Oddometer: 1,743
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadrunner View Post
I remember when a guy asked if I was a girl.

We were the only vehicles stopped at a stoplight, and he was in a pickup with his window down. It was late at night. I had on a full face helmet, jacket and blue jeans. He was staring at me....so, I finally looked at him. He asked increduously, "Are you a girl??"
Reminds me of when a (male) friend and I were sitting on our bikes in construction traffic just outside of Spokane, WA. We were bored and kept playing "footsie" with each other, taking turns stepping on the other's boot as we inched forward. After about 10 minutes, a van pulled up in the lane next to us and the driver leaned out his window:

"You had me worried! I thought you were a couple of gay guys for a while there!"

Yes, welcome to the conservative "east side"

http://www.dantesdame.com/ <--- Rides! Rides! Rides!!
DantesDame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:16 PM   #576
amyhua
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Great advice

I'm a first-time rider and I think this is all great advice on adventure touring for females! I second the diva cup. You can ride much longer with one on, and it's cleaner and a better investment in the long run.

I'm also interested in what other female-specific riding issues people encounter. I'm traveling to parts of Mexico (Tijuana & surrounding towns) soon and wanted to get someone's take on what it'd be like traveling as a female.
amyhua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 02:47 PM   #577
Saralou
Worldwide Rider

Oddometer: 667
Single female

You should contact hewbie she just finished Alaska to Ushuaia solo. Sara

ADV RR Finding Freedom...World Wide Ride

Join the Adventure
Saralou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 05:43 AM   #578
AnyDay
Wants more time off

Oddometer: 240
Opinions on safety of camping solo in a National Park. Heading to CA/AZ in May and want to stay a few days in Joshual Tree National Park. Pretty tame, but I'd rather think it all through before regretting.
AnyDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:11 AM   #579
cdwise
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 837
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnyDay View Post
Opinions on safety of camping solo in a National Park. Heading to CA/AZ in May and want to stay a few days in Joshual Tree National Park. Pretty tame, but I'd rather think it all through before regretting.
National Park, I'd do it if I were into camping. I've got a couple of female friends who camp solo in state and national parks. Backcountry camping is a little more of a concern but if there is a ranger to check in with and you give them your backcountry route/times even that should be okay.
cdwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:45 AM   #580
Gitana
A work in progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnyDay View Post
I've camped solo all over the western U.S. It's very different than the East Coast. It's very easy to camp without being in a "developed" campground. You can pitch a tent in a lot of places, for free. Or go to a campground if that suits you better. I like finding out of the way places where it's just me and no neighbors. Never had a problem or issue.
2008 WR250R | 2008 DL650
Old 03-29-2013, 11:52 AM   #581
cdwise
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 837
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gitana View Post
I've camped solo all over the western U.S. It's very different than the East Coast. It's very easy to camp without being in a "developed" campground. You can pitch a tent in a lot of places, for free. Or go to a campground if that suits you better. I like finding out of the way places where it's just me and no neighbors. Never had a problem or issue.
Lots of folks camp over off Boreass Pass and I've seen others campsites off some of the state roads as well. I've rarely seen anyone actually in the campsites though since I tend to be around during the part of the day they'd be out camping (oh and some of them are horse camping as well.)
cdwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:32 PM   #582
Gitana
A work in progress

I am baffled by the worry about camping off by one's self. The few assholes I've ever been around have always been in developed campgrounds. I don't worry about my personal safety when I'm out in the middle of nowhere. It's really a lot more fun to let go of fear and explore.
2008 WR250R | 2008 DL650
Old 04-02-2013, 06:31 AM   #583
AnyDay
Wants more time off

Thanks for the comments, I'll go for it. And it's true, the jerks usually camp on holiday weekends in their cars, so I should be fine :)
Old 04-10-2013, 05:30 AM   #584
Blixa
Derelicte

Oddometer: 721
Hey ladies -

When on the road, how do you create a temperature-controlled environment for meds that need to be kept within a certain degree range? I'm just asking b/c my BC needs to be kept around 77 degrees. My trip is on the East Coast (BRP) in May so outside temps should be pretty balmy but I'm just worried that being in the sun for several hours at a time could get my packed items toasty.

I have a Wolfman Expedition tank bag that gets hot if I'm in the sun for 15 mins and I'm worried that the medication will burn up (figuratively) if put inside panniers for a day. Any thoughts? Thank you
Old 04-10-2013, 06:33 AM   #585
AnyDay
Wants more time off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blixa View Post
Hey ladies -

When on the road, how do you create a temperature-controlled environment for meds that need to be kept within a certain degree range? I'm just asking b/c my BC needs to be kept around 77 degrees. My trip is on the East Coast (BRP) in May so outside temps should be pretty balmy but I'm just worried that being in the sun for several hours at a time could get my packed items toasty.

I have a Wolfman Expedition tank bag that gets hot if I'm in the sun for 15 mins and I'm worried that the medication will burn up (figuratively) if put inside panniers for a day. Any thoughts? Thank you
I usually carry an extra bottle of water and put the meds next to that or rolled up in clothing in the middle of the pannier. For really hot days on long trips, I put water or food(refrigerated better) with the meds in a soft cooler bag and cram it in somewhere.