ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2013, 09:54 AM   #1
Lurkerlou OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 222
Moose shorty windscreen?

I purchased a Moose Shorty windscreen for my 12 990R and I gotta say I am very unimpressed with the quality of it.

It doesn't wrap around the bottom section of the headlight (as the thinner stock screen does) so both tabs basically shoot out and leave a large opening at the base of the headlight.

I'm thinking that I could, or will have to, bevel the inner edge out to even clear the headlight itself so I can even be able to attach it with the wellnuts that hold the screen in position.

I don't mind having to modify or work with a product but it seems more to me that they sent a half finished product that most people would just send back.

I'm not going to lie if I didn't have it shipped 1500 miles to get here it would be going back just out of principle.

Anyone else have the same experience or did I just get one that was half way down the production line and stuffed into a box?

Not meaning to be a rant but more of a warning for others looking for a solution rather than a project.
Lurkerlou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:54 AM   #2
JTMETZ54
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Mine was the same way. I hate the way the plastic sticks out at the bottom of the headlight. For the price I paid I can still sleep at night, and I cannot see it when I am riding. I will say, I love how it helped with the wind. The OEM screen put the air right in my helmet and my head bounced around. This one all the bad air is down low and feels great.
JTMETZ54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:05 PM   #3
Yardstick
Hydrophobic

Oddometer: 2,962
I was talking to them for a while about the fit of their screens. I had one that was so bad I couldn't line up the fastener holes and it was so narrow through the "waist" section of the headlight that it took some serious force to snap it into place. I ended up sending that one back. They sent one of the new 2.5" lower screens for me to try and it fit better but still had some issues.

I don't think they can bend the plastic as sharp as the molded stock screens so they are never going to fit perfectly. I agree that it would be nice if they fit better. I still haven't used either version.
Yardstick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:12 PM   #4
mcmann
Motorcycle Maniac

Oddometer: 1,695
Mine sticks out a bit at the bottom . . . You can force it to line up with the mounting holes. It is thicker material than the OEM shield.

You can jigsaw your OEM shield using the Moose as a pattern . . . Then return it.

I use mine under my Aero Flow shield . . . Perfect combination to reduce buffeting etc.

'14 V-Strom 1000 ABS Adventure "The Train"
mcmann is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 01:43 PM   #5
DesertSurfer
Tail sprayin

Oddometer: 1,327
Think you'll like the 2.5!!!

I requested Moose do this 2.5 version and tested it for them... And I'm very happy with it, although I realize all heads are different.

My fit was good at the mounting points provided I started from bottom working up. It's a tricky mold so the lower trim end points forward but doesn't bother me. The price was right and they are coming out with Translucent Orange which would work great for dusk riding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yardstick View Post
I was talking to them for a while about the fit of their screens. I had one that was so bad I couldn't line up the fastener holes and it was so narrow through the "waist" section of the headlight that it took some serious force to snap it into place. I ended up sending that one back. They sent one of the new 2.5" lower screens for me to try and it fit better but still had some issues.

I don't think they can bend the plastic as sharp as the molded stock screens so they are never going to fit perfectly. I agree that it would be nice if they fit better. I still haven't used either version.

DesertSurfer screwed with this post 04-10-2013 at 01:50 PM
DesertSurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 06:57 PM   #6
mario848
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
just received mine and unfortunately I read this post after ordering. do not purchase this screen. the holes do not come close to matching. working on removing some material to make it fit.
mario848 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:37 AM   #7
vwboomer
Buffoon

Oddometer: 9,724
I'm quite happy with mine

vwboomer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 02:13 PM   #8
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Oddometer: 3,779
I had one as well. I ended up returning it for 3 reasons:

1. It makes the bike look fugly!
  2. The mounting holes wouldn't line up. I had to force and push things around quite a bit to get the thing to mount properly.
  3. The tint of the screen is a brown color. Clashes with the color of the bike. Stock KTM screens use a more grey tint which looks better.

I mean, functionally, once on the bike, the screen did what it was supposed to do. It put my upper chest and head out into the clean airflow. No buffeting. However, I just couldn't get over the fit and how ugly it made the bike look.

I ended up with two screens for this bike now. This one for when I want a bit more protection with minimal buffeting:

And this one when I want to be out in the clean air, no buffeting:

The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 11:58 PM   #9
Apple Jam
Forest Flyer

Oddometer: 6,329
The stock screen costs $85 compared to Moose's $55

After working on the Moose for an hour,...
the stock screen looks and fits better after spending the same hour cutting it's height off.

There is no free lunch
...then that land should be open for public use" (peterman)
Apple Jam is offline   Reply With Quote